Research Article | Open Access
Accuracy of a Dedicated Bone-Supported Surgical Template for Dental Implant Placement with Direct Visual Control
The aim of this study is to evaluate feasibility and accuracy of dental implant placement utilizing a dedicated bone-supported surgical template. Thirty-eight implants (sixteen in maxilla, twenty-two in mandible) were placed in seven fully edentulous jaws (three maxillae, four mandibles) guided by the designed bone-supported surgical template. A voxel-based registration technique was applied to match pre- and post-operative CBCT scans. The mean angular deviation and mean linear deviation at the implant hex and apex were 6.4 ± 3.7° (0.7° – 14.8°), 1.47 ± 0.64 mm (0.5 – 2.56 mm) and 1.70 ± 1.01 mm (0.71 –4.39 mm), respectively. The presented bone-supported surgical template showed acceptable accuracy for clinical use. In return for reduced accuracy, clinicians gain accessibility when using this type of surgical template for both the maxilla and the mandible. This is particularly important in patients with reduced mouth opening.
- K. Verstreken, J. Van Cleynenbreugel, G. Marchal, I. Naert, P. Suetens, and D. van Steenberghe, “Computerassisted planning of oral implant surgery: a three-dimensional approach,” The International journal of oral & maxillofacial implants, vol. 11, pp. 806–810, 1996.
- D. Van Steenberghe, C. Malevez, J. Van Cleynenbreugel et al., “Accuracy of drilling guides for transfer from three-dimensional CT-based planning to placement of zygoma implants in human cadavers,” Clinical oral implants research, vol. 14, pp. 131–136, 2003.
- D. Schneider, P. Marquardt, M. Zwahlen, and R. E. Jung, “A systematic review on the accuracy and the clinical outcome of computer-guided template-based implant dentistry,” Clinical oral implants research, vol. 20, pp. 73–86, 2009.
- J. D'Haese, T. Van De Velde, A. Komiyama, M. Hultin, and H. De Bruyn, “Accuracy and complications using computer-designed stereolithographic surgical guides for oral rehabilitation by means of dental implants: a review of the literature,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 14, pp. 321–335, 2012.
- N. Van Assche, M. Vercruyssen, W. Coucke, W. Teughels, R. Jacobs, and M. Quirynen, “Accuracy of computeraided implant placement,” Clinical oral implants research, vol. 23, Suppl 6, pp. 112–123, 2012.
- X. Chen, J. Yuan, C. Wang, Y. Huang, and L. Kang, “Modular preoperative planning software for computeraided oral implantology and the application of a novel stereolithographic template: a pilot study,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 12, pp. 181–193, 2010.
- F. Maes, A. Collignon, D. Vandermeulen, G. Marchal, and P. Suetens, “Multimodality image registration by maximization of mutual information,” IEEE transactions on medical imaging, vol. 16, pp. 187–198, 1997.
- Y. Sun, H. T. Luebbers, J. O. Agbaje et al., “Accuracy of Dental Implant Placement Using CBCT-Derived Mucosa-Supported Stereolithographic Template,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 17, pp. 862–870, 2015.
- M. Cassetta, A. Di Mambro, G. Di Giorgio, L. V. Stefanelli, and E. Barbato, “The Influence of the Tolerance between Mechanical Components on the Accuracy of Implants Inserted with a Stereolithographic Surgical Guide: A Retrospective Clinical Study,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 17, pp. 580–588, 2015.
- J. D'Haese, T. Van De Velde, L. Elaut, and H. De Bruyn, “A prospective study on the accuracy of mucosally supported stereolithographic surgical guides in fully edentulous maxillae,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 14, pp. 293–303, 2012.
- G. Van de Wiele, W. Teughels, M. Vercruyssen, W. Coucke, A. Temmerman, and M. Quirynen, “The accuracy of guided surgery via mucosa-supported stereolithographic surgical templates in the hands of surgeons with little experience,” Clinical oral implants research, 2014.
- M. Cassetta, M. Giansanti, A. Di Mambro, S. Calasso, and E. Barbato, “Accuracy of Two Stereolithographic Surgical Templates: A Retrospective Study,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 15, pp. 448–459, 2013.
- V. Arisan, Z. C. Karabuda, and T. Ozdemir, “Accuracy of two stereolithographic guide systems for computeraided implant placement: a computed tomography-based clinical comparative study,” Journal of periodontology, vol. 81, pp. 43–51, 2010.
- A. E. Ersoy, I. Turkyilmaz, O. Ozan, and E. A. McGlumphy, “Reliability of implant placement with stereolithographic surgical guides generated from computed tomography: clinical data from 94 implants,” Journal of periodontology, vol. 79, pp. 1339–1345, 2008.
- O. Ozan, I. Turkyilmaz, A. E. Ersoy, E. A. McGlumphy, and S. F. Rosenstiel, “Clinical accuracy of 3 different types of computed tomography-derived stereolithographic surgical guides in implant placement,” Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, vol. 67, pp. 394–401, 2009.
- S. Stubinger, C. Buitrago-Tellez, and G. Cantelmi, “Deviations between placed and planned implant positions: an accuracy pilot study of skeletally supported stereolithographic surgical templates,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 16, pp. 540–551, 2014.
- A. Pettersson, A. Komiyama, M. Hultin, K. Nasstrom, and B. Klinge, “Accuracy of virtually planned and template guided implant surgery on edentate patients,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 14, pp. 527–537, 2012.
- R. M. Nada, T. J. Maal, K. H. Breuning, S. J. Berge, Y. A. Mostafa, and A. M. Kuijpers-Jagtman, “Accuracy and reproducibility of voxel based superimposition of cone beam computed tomography models on the anterior cranial base and the zygomatic arches,” PloS one, vol. 6:e16520, 2011.
- X. Liang, R. Jacobs, B. Hassan et al., “A comparative evaluation of Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) and Multi-Slice CT (MSCT) Part I. On subjective image quality,” European journal of radiology, vol. 75, pp. 265–269, 2010.
- L. J. Stumpel, “Deformation of stereolithographically produced surgical guides: an observational case series report,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 14, pp. 442–453, 2012.
- L. J. Stumpel, “Congruency of stereo lithographically produced surgical guide bases made from the same CBCT file: a pilot study,” Clinical implant dentistry and related research, vol. 15, pp. 531–537, 2013.
- L. Vrielinck, C. Politis, S. Schepers, M. Pauwels, and I. Naert, “Image-based planning and clinical validation of zygoma and pterygoid implant placement in patients with severe bone atrophy using customized drill guides. Preliminary results from a prospective clinical follow-up study,” International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, vol. 32, pp. 7–14, 2003.
- X. Liang, I. Lambrichts, Y. Sun et al., “A comparative evaluation of Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) and Multi-Slice CT (MSCT). Part II: On 3D model accuracy,” European journal of radiology, vol. 75, pp. 270–274, 2010.
- R. Gupta, M. Grasruck, C. Suess et al., “Ultra-high resolution flat-panel volume CT: fundamental principles, design architecture, and system characterization,” European radiology, vol. 16, pp. 1191–1205, 2006.
- W. C. Scarfe and A. G. Farman, “What is cone-beam CT and how does it work?” Dental clinics of North America, vol. 52, pp. 707–730, 2008.
Copyright © 2015 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.