Research Article | Open Access
Francisco de B. Velazquez-Peña, Daniel Sanchez-Morillo, Mario Crespo-Miguel, Sonia Astorga-Moreno, MJ Santi-Cano, MA Fernandez-Granero, Antonio Leon-Jimenez, "Development and Evaluation of an Automated, Home-Based, Electronic Questionnaire for Detecting COPD Exacerbations", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 6, Article ID 627464, 12 pages, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2218.104.22.1685
Development and Evaluation of an Automated, Home-Based, Electronic Questionnaire for Detecting COPD Exacerbations
Collaboration between patients and their medical and technical experts enabled the development of an automated questionnaire for the early detection of COPD exacerbations (AQCE). The questionnaire consisted of fourteen questions and was implemented on a computer system for use by patients at home in an un-supervised environment. Psychometric evaluation was conducted after a 6-month field trial. Fifty-two patients were involved in the development of the questionnaire. Reproducibility was studied using 19 patients (ICC = 0.94). Sixteen out of the 19 subjects started the 6 month-field trial with the computer application. Cronbach’s alpha of 0.81 was achieved. In the concurrent validity analysis, a correlation of 0.80 (p = 0.002) with the CCQ was reported. The results suggest that AQCE is a valid and reliable questionnaire, showing that an automated home-based electronic questionnaire may enable early detection of exacerbations of COPD.
- A. Anzueto, “Impact of exacerbations on COPD,” Eur Respir Rev., vol. 19, no. 116, pp. 113–118, 2010.
- A. J. Mackay and J. R. Hurst, “COPD Exacerbations: Causes, Prevention, and Treatment,” Immunol Allergy Clin N Am., vol. 33, pp. 95–115, 2013.
- J. A. Wedzicha and G. C. Donaldson, “Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease,” Respir Care., vol. 48, pp. 1204–1213, 2003.
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2015. http://www.goldcopd.org/. Accessed March 29, 2015.
- T. A. Seemungal, G. C. Donaldson, E. A. Paul, J. C. Bestall, D. J. Jeffries, and J. A. Wedzicha, “Effect of exacerbation on quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Am J Respir Crit Care Med., vol. 157, pp. 1418–1422, 1998.
- G. C. Donaldson, T. A. R. Seemungal, A. Bhowmik, and J. A. Wedzicha, “Relationship between exacerbation frequency and lung function decline in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Thorax, vol. 57, pp. 847–852, 2002.
- M. K. Pasquale, S. X. Sun, F. Song, H. J. Hartnett, and S. A. Stemkowski, “Impact of exacerbations on health care cost and resource utilization in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients with chronic bronchitis from a predominantly Medicare population,” Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis., vol. 7, pp. 757–764, 2012.
- K. Vijayasaratha and R. A. Stockley, “Reported and unreported exacerbations of COPD: analysis by diary cards,” Chest, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 34–41, 2008.
- T. M. Wilkinson, G. C. Donaldson, J. R. Hurst, T. A. Seemungal, and J. A. Wedzicha, “Early therapy improves outcomes of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Am J Respir Crit Care Med., vol. 169, no. 12, pp. 1298–1303, 2004.
- N. K. Leidy, T. K. Wilcox, P. W. Jones et al., “Standardizing measurement of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations. Reliability and validity of a patient-reported diary,” Am J Respir Crit Care Med., vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 323–329, 2011.
- G. L. Snider, “Nosology for our day: its application to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Am J Respir Crit Care Med., vol. 167, no. 5, pp. 678–683, 2003.
- L. Langsetmo, R. W. Platt, P. Ernst, and J. Bourbeau, “Underreporting exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a longitudinal cohort,” Am J Respir Crit Care Med., vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 396–401, 2008.
- I. S. Woolhouse, S. L. Hill, and R. A. Stockley, “Symptom resolution assessed using a patient directed diary card during treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis,” Thorax, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 947–953, 2001.
- D. S. Morillo, Crespo Mario, A. León, and L. F. Crespo, “A novel multimodal tool for telemonitoring patients with COPD,” Inform Health Soc Care, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 2015.
- N. R. Anthonisen, J. Manfreda, C. P. W. Warren, E. S. Hershfield, G. K. M. Harding, and N. A. Nelson, “Antibiotic Therapy in Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease,” Ann Intern Med., vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 196–204, 1987.
- T. van der Molen, B. W. M. Willemse, S. Shokker, N. H. T. Ten Hakken, D. S. Postma, and E. F. Juniper, “Development, validity and responsiveness of the clinical COPD questionnaire,” Health Qual Life Outcomes, vol. 1:13, 2003.
- B. M. Aparacio, M. I. Vázquez, and V. H. Hernando, “Fiabilidad y validez de la versión espanola del Clinical COPD Questionnaire (CCQ),” Arch Bronconeumol., vol. 46:108s, 2010.
- R. F. Pokrzywinsky, D. M. Meas, S. P. McKenna, A. L. Glendenning, and D. A. Revicki, “Development and psychometric assessment of the COPD and Asthma Sleep Impact Scale (CASIS),” Health Qual Life Outcomes, vol. 7:98, 2009.
- R. Lahoz, J. Galera, M. Lleonart, and M. Miravitlles, Validation of the Spanish version of the “COPD and asthma sleep impact scale (CASIS)” questionnaire (PRS39, October 2009, ISPOR 12th Annual European Congress, Paris, France).
- C. B. Terwee, S. D. Bot, M. R. de Boer et al., “Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires,” J Clin Epidemiol., vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 34–42, 2007.
- J. C. Nunnally and I. H. Bernstein, Psychometric theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 3rd edition, 1994.
- P. W. Jones, “Health status measurement in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Thorax, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 880–887, 2001.
- M. Westwood, J. Bourbeau, P. W. Jones, A. Cerulli, G. Capkun-Niggli, and G. Worthy, “Relationship between FEV1 change and patient-reported outcomes in randomised trials of inhaled bronchodilators for stable COPD: a systematic review,” Respir Res., vol. 12:40, 2011.
- B. R. Celli and J. Vestbo, “The EXACT-Pro: Measuring Exacerbations of COPD,” Am J Respir Crit Care Med., vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 287–288, 2011.
- B. McKinstry, “The use of remote monitoring technologies in managing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” QJM, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 883–885, 2013.
- J. C. A. Trappenburg, I. Touwen, G. H. de Weert-van Oene et al., “Detecting exacerbations using the Clinical COPD Questionnaire,” Health Qual Life Outcomes, vol. 8:102, 2010.
- A. J. Mackay, G. C. Donaldson, A. R. Patel, R. Singh, B. Kowlessar, and J. A. Wedzicha, “Detection and severity grading of COPD exacerbations using the Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Tool (EXACT),” Eur Respir J., vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 735–744, 2014.
- M. A. Fernández-Granero, D. Sánchez-Morillo, A. León-Jiménez, and L. F. Crespo, “Automatic prediction of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations through home telemonitoring of symptoms,” Biomed Mater Eng., vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 3825–3832, 2014.
- D. Sanchez-Morillo, M. A. Fernandez-Granero, and A. L. Jiménez, “Detecting COPD exacerbations early using daily telemonitoring of symptoms and k-means clustering: a pilot study,” Med Biol Eng Comput., vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 441–451, 2015.
- H. Pinnock, J. Hanley, L. McCloughan et al., “Effectiveness of telemonitoring integrated into existing clinical services on hospital admission for exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: researcher blind, multicentre, randomised controlled trial,” BMJ, vol. 347:f6070, 2013.
- A. Steventon, M. Bardsley, J. Billings et al., “Effect of telehealth on use of secondary care and mortality: findings from the Whole System Demonstrator cluster randomised trial,” BMJ, vol. 344:e3874, 2012.
Copyright © 2015 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.