Research Article | Open Access
Ming-Chien Chyu, Tony Austin, Fethi Calisir, Samuel Chanjaplammootil, Mark J. Davis, Jesus Favela, Heng Gan, Amit Gefen, Ram Haddas, Shoshana Hahn-Goldberg, Roberto Hornero, Yu-Li Huang, Øystein Jensen, Zhongwei Jiang, J.S. Katsanis, Jeong-A Lee, Gladius Lewis, Nigel H. Lovell, Heinz-Theo Luebbers, George G. Morales, Timothy Matis, Judith T. Matthews, Lukasz Mazur, Eddie Yin-Kwee Ng, K.J. Oommen, Kevin Ormand, Tarald Rohde, Daniel Sánchez-Morillo, Justo García Sanz-Calcedo, Mohamad Sawan, Chwan-Li Shen, Jiann-Shing Shieh, Chao-Ton Su, Lilly Sun, Mingui Sun, Yi Sun, Senay N. Tewolde, Eric A. Williams, Chongjun Yan, Jiajie Zhang, Yuan-Ting Zhang, "Healthcare Engineering Defined: A White Paper", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 6, Article ID 724584, 14 pages, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-22188.8.131.525
Healthcare Engineering Defined: A White Paper
Engineering has been playing an important role in serving and advancing healthcare. The term “Healthcare Engineering” has been used by professional societies, universities, scientific authors, and the healthcare industry for decades. However, the definition of “Healthcare Engineering” remains ambiguous. The purpose of this position paper is to present a definition of Healthcare Engineering as an academic discipline, an area of research, a field of specialty, and a profession. Healthcare Engineering is defined in terms of what it is, who performs it, where it is performed, and how it is performed, including its purpose, scope, topics, synergy, education/training, contributions, and prospects.
- American Society of Healthcare Engineering. http://www.ashe.org/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Engineering. http://www.wsshe.org/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Y. David and G. Goodman, Who represents healthcare engineers? IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society 11th Annual International Conference, 9-12, Nov. 1989. Seattle, WA, 1383–1384 vol.4, 1989. Images of the Twenty-First Century, Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/ stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=96252. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Health Care Engineering Systems Center, University of Illinois. http://healtheng.illinois.edu/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Healthcare Engineering Technology Management Bachelor of Science Degree (BS), Indiana University. http://engr.iupui.edu/departments/ent/undergrad/hetm/bs.php. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Center for Healthcare Engineering and Patient Safety, University of Michigan. http://cheps.engin.umich.edu/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Division of Healthcare Engineering, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of North Carolina. https://www.med.unc.edu/radonc/about/healthcare-engineering-division. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Healthcare Engineering, Northwestern University, http://he.northwestern.edu/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering, Purdue University. http://www.purdue.edu /discoverypark/rche/about/healthcare_engineering.php. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Health Care Engineering, University of Southern California, http://healthcareengineering.usc. edu/index.php. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Healthcare Engineering Option in the Master of Engineering Degree, Texas Tech University. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/coe/academics/healthcare_engineering/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Master of Engineering Certificate in Healthcare Engineering, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto. http://www.mie.utoronto.ca/graduate/meng/healthcare.php. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Centre for Healthcare Engineering, University of Toronto. http://che.utoronto.ca/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Journal of Healthcare Engineering, Multi-Science Publishing, UK. http://www.multi-science.co. uk/jhe.htm. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Oxford Dictionaries. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/healthcare. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- The American Heritage Dictionary. https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=healthcare &submit.x=41&submit.y=24. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Glossary of Terms, Effective Health Care Program. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/glossaryof-terms/?pageaction=showterm&termid=95. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Mosby’s Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. Ⓒ2009, Elsevier. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary. com/health+care+system. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- BusinessDictionary.com. http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/health-care-system.html. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Health systems. http://www.who.int/topics/health_systems/en/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- B. D. Janz, M. G. Pitts, and R. F. Otondo, Information Systems and Health Care-II: Back to the Future with RFID: Lessons Learned-Some Old, Some New. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 2005, 15, Article 7. http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol15/iss1/7. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- M. Ross and S. Kulkarni, Healthcare Metro Monitor Supplement. Brookings Report, July 1, 2013. http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2013/07/01-healthcare-metro-monitor. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Mosby’s Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. Ⓒ 2009, Elsevier. http://medicaldictionary.thefreedictionary. com/health+care+industry. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Industry Classification Benchmark. http://www.icbenchmark.com/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
Copyright © 2015 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.