- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 285246, 12 pages
The Controversial Role of Microglia in Malignant Gliomas
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030-1402, USA
Received 16 April 2013; Accepted 19 June 2013
Academic Editor: Anirban Ghosh
Copyright © 2013 Jun Wei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [36 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Brian Ahn, Ian Pollack, and Hideho Okada, “Immune-Checkpoint Blockade and Active Immunotherapy for Glioma,” Cancers, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1379–1412, 2013.
- Viola Caretti, A. Charlotte P. Sewing, Tonny Lagerweij, Pepijn Schellen, Marianna Bugiani, Marc H. A. Jansen, Dannis G. van Vuurden, Anna C. Navis, Ilona Horsman, W. Peter Vandertop, David P. Noske, Pieter Wesseling, Gertjan J. L. Kaspers, Javad Nazarian, Hannes Vogel, Esther Hulleman, Michelle Monje, and Thomas Wurdinger, “Human pontine glioma cells can induce murine tumors,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 897–909, 2014.
- Rainer Glass, and Michael Synowitz, “CNS macrophages and peripheral myeloid cells in brain tumours,” Acta Neuropathologica, 2014.
- Zhenni Zhang, Jianrui Lv, Xiaoming Lei, Siyuan Li, Yong Zhang, Lihua Meng, Rongliang Xue, and Zongfang Li, “Baicalein Reduces the Invasion of Glioma Cells via Reducing the Activity of p38 Signaling Pathway,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 2, 2014.
- Thomas Wurdinger, Katrin Deumelandt, Hans J. van der Vliet, Pieter Wesseling, and Tanja D. de Gruijl, “Mechanisms of intimate and long-distance cross-talk between glioma and myeloid cells: How to break a vicious cycle,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Reviews on Cancer, 2014.
- Xiaojuan He, Jianfeng Huang, Xiaojun Qiu, Xianchen Liu, Guan Sun, Jun Guo, Zongmei Ding, Lixiang Yang, Na Ban, Tao Tao, and Dongling Wang, “LAP3 promotes glioma progression by regulating proliferation, migration and invasion of glioma cells,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2014.
- Danijela Savic, Irena Lavrnja, Sanja Dacic, Ivana Bjelobaba, Nadezda Nedeljkovic, Mirjana Stojiljkovic, Thomas Herdegen, and Sanja Pekovic, “Tiazofurin Modulates Lipopolysaccharide-Activated Microglia In Vitro,” Archives Of Biological Sciences, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1633–1640, 2014.
- Yulan Zhen, Wei Zhang, Chujie Liu, Jing He, Yun Lu, Ruixian Guo, Jianqiang Feng, Ying Zhang, and Jingfu Chen, “Exogenous hydrogen sulfide promotes C6ï¿½glioma cell growth through activation of the p38ï¿½MAPK/ERK1/2-COX-2 pathways,” Oncology Reports, 2015.
- Hongwei Liu, Zhixiong Liu, Bing Jiang, Renjun Peng, Zhiming Ma, and Jingchen Lu, “SOX9 Overexpression Promotes Glioma Metastasis via Wnt/beta-Catenin Signaling,” Cell Biochemistry And Biophysics, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 205–212, 2015.
- Karolina Janczar, Zhangjie Su, Isabella Raccagni, Andrea Anfosso, Charlotte Kelly, Pascal F. Durrenberger, Alexander Gerhard, and Federico Roncaroli, “The 18-kDa mitochondrial translocator protein in gliomas: from the bench to bedside,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 43, pp. 579–585, 2015.
- Christina Kober, Susanne Rohn, Stephanie Weibel, Ulrike Geissinger, Nanhai G Chen, and Aladar A Szalay, “Microglia and astrocytes attenuate the replication of the oncolytic vaccinia virus LIVP 1.1.1 in murine GL261 gliomas by acting as vaccinia virus traps,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, 2015.
- Jian-Qiang Lu, Benjamin Adam, Andrew S. Jack, Anna Lam, Robert W. Broad, and Constance L. Chik, “Immune Cell Infiltrates in Pituitary Adenomas: More Macrophages in Larger Adenomas and More T Cells in Growth Hormone Adenomas,” Endocrine Pathology, 2015.
- Vladimir Riabov, David Kim, Surmeet Chhina, Richard B. Alexander, and Elena N. Klyushnenkova, “Immunostimulatory early phenotype of tumor-associated macrophages does not predict tumor growth outcome in an HLA-DR mouse model of prostate cancer,” Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 873–883, 2015.
- Joseph Grodecki, Aaron R. Short, Jessica O. Winter, Shreyas S. Rao, Jessica O. Winter, José Javier Otero, John J. Lannutti, and Atom Sarkar, “Glioma-astrocyte interactions on white matter tract-mimetic aligned electrospun nanofibers,” Biotechnology Progress, 2015.
- Zhangjie Su, Federico Roncaroli, Pascal F. Durrenberger, David J. Coope, Konstantina Karabatsou, Rainer Hinz, Gerard Thompson, Federico E. Turkheimer, Karolina Janczar, Daniel Du Plessis, Andrew Brodbelt, Alan Jackson, Alexander Gerhard, and Karl Herholz, “The 18-kDa Mitochondrial Translocator Protein in Human Gliomas: An C-11-(R)PK11195 PET Imaging and Neuropathology Study,” Journal Of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 512–517, 2015.
- Manoj Kumar Singh, Suhnrita Chaudhuri, Debanjan Bhattacharya, Pankaj Kumar, Ankur Datta, and Swapna Chaudhuri, “T11 Target Structure induced modulations of the pro-inflammatory and anti-infammatorycytokine expressions in experimental animals for glioma abrogation,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 198–207, 2015.
- Maria Gkagkanasiou, Agapi Ploussi, Maria Gazouli, and Efstathios P. Efstathopoulos, “USPIO-Enhanced MRI Neuroimaging: A Review,” Journal of Neuroimaging, 2015.
- Kristan E. van der Vos, Erik R. Abels, Xuan Zhang, Charles Lai, Esteban Carrizosa, Derek Oakley, Shilpa Prabhakar, Osama Mardini, Matheus H. W. Crommentuijn, Johan Skog, Anna M. Krichevsky, Anat Stemmer-Rachamimov, Thorsten R. Mempel, Joseph El Khoury, Suzanne E. Hickman, and Xandra O. Breakefield, “Directly visualized glioblastoma-derived extracellular vesicles transfer RNA to microglia/macrophages in the brain,” Neuro-Oncology, pp. nov244, 2015.
- Chin-Lin Huang, I-Lun Hsiao, Ho-Chen Lin, Chu-Fang Wang, Yuh-Jeen Huang, and Chun-Yu Chuang, “Silver nanoparticles affect on gene expression of inflammatory and neurodegenerative responses in mouse brain neural cells,” Environmental Research, vol. 136, pp. 253–263, 2015.
- Igor F. Tsigelny, Valentina L. Kouznetsova, Pengfei Jiang, Sandeep C. Pingle, and Santosh Kesari, “Hierarchical control of coherent gene clusters defines the molecular mechanisms of glioblastoma,” Mol. BioSyst., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1012–1028, 2015.
- Ji-Sun Hwang, Eun-Hye Jung, Mi-Youn Kwon, and Inn-Oc Han, “Glioma-secreted soluble factors stimulate microglial activation: The role of interleukin-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, 2016.
- Jun Li, Meng Zhang, Qingfang Ma, and Gang An, “Long non-coding RNA TUG1 acts as a miR-26a sponge in human glioma cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 2016.
- Wen Zhu, Karen E. Carney, Victoria M. Pigott, Lindsay M. Falgoust, Paul A. Clark, John S. Kuo, and Dandan Sun, “ Glioma-mediated microglial activation promotes glioma proliferation and migration: roles of Na + /H + exchanger isoform 1 ,” Carcinogenesis, pp. bgw068, 2016.
- Rupen Desai, Carter M. Suryadevara, Kristen A. Batich, S. Harrison Farber, Luis Sanchez-Perez, and John H. Sampson, “Emerging immunotherapies for glioblastoma,” Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 133–145, 2016.
- Hao Xue, Guang Yuan, Xing Guo, Qinglin Liu, Jinsen Zhang, Xiao Gao, Xiaofan Guo, Shugang Xu, Tong Li, Qianqian Shao, Shaofeng Yan, and Gang Li, “ A Novel Tumor-promoting Mechanism of IL6 and the Therapeutic Efficacy of Tocilizumab: Hypoxia-induced IL6 Is a Potent Autophagy Initiator in Glioblastoma via the p-STAT3- MIR155-3p -CREBRF Pathway ,” Autophagy, pp. 00–00, 2016.
- A Ghoochani, M A Schwarz, E Yakubov, T Engelhorn, A Doerfler, M Buchfelder, R Bucala, N E Savaskan, and I Y Eyüpoglu, “MIF-CD74 signaling impedes microglial M1 polarization and facilitates brain tumorigenesis,” Oncogene, 2016.
- Nicole Michelson, Jordina Rincon-Torroella, Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa, and Jeffrey P. Greenfield, “Exploring the Role of Inflammation in the Malignant Transformation of Low-Grade Gliomas,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, 2016.
- A Ellert-Miklaszewska, P Wisniewski, M Kijewska, P Gajdanowicz, D Pszczolkowska, P Przanowski, M Dabrowski, M Maleszewska, and B Kaminska, “Tumour-processed osteopontin and lactadherin drive the protumorigenic reprogramming of microglia and glioma progression,” Oncogene, 2016.
- S. Harrison Farber, Vadim Tsvankin, Jessica L. Narloch, Grace J. Kim, April K.S. Salama, Gordona Vlahovic, Kimberly L. Blackwell, John P. Kirkpatrick, and Peter E. Fecci, “Embracing Rejection: Immunologic Trends in Brain Metastasis,” OncoImmunology, pp. 00–00, 2016.
- Jun Li, Meng Zhang, Gang An, and Qingfang Ma, “LncRNA TUG1 acts as a tumor suppressor in human glioma by promoting cell apoptosis,” Experimental Biology And Medicine, vol. 241, no. 6, pp. 644–649, 2016.
- Laura Mercurio, Maria Antonietta Ajmone-Cat, Serena Cecchetti, Alessandro Ricci, Giuseppina Bozzuto, Agnese Molinari, Isabella Manni, Bianca Pollo, Stefania Scala, Giulia Carpinelli, and Luisa Minghetti, “Targeting CXCR4 by a selective peptide antagonist modulates tumor microenvironment and microglia reactivity in a human glioblastoma model,” Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 35, no. 1, 2016.
- Peter Ludewig, Mattia Gallizioli, Xabier Urra, Sarah Behr, Vanessa H. Brait, Mathias Gelderblom, Tim Magnus, and Anna M. Planas, “Dendritic cells in brain diseases,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis Of Disease, vol. 1862, no. 3, pp. 352–367, 2016.
- Nevenka Dudvarski Stankovic, Marcin Teodorczyk, Robert Ploen, Frauke Zipp, and Mirko H. H. Schmidt, “Microglia-blood vessel interactions: a double-edged sword in brain pathologies,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 347–363, 2016.
- Fernando F. B. Resende, Xianshu Bai, Elaine Aparecida Del Bel, Frank Kirchhoff, Anja Scheller, and Ricardo Titze-de-Almeida, “Evaluation of TgH(CX3CR1-EGFP) mice implanted with mCherry-GL261 cells as an in vivo model for morphometrical analysis of glioma-microglia interaction,” Bmc Cancer, vol. 16, 2016.
- Amanda L. Placone, Alfredo Quiones-Hinojosa, and Peter C. Searson, “The role of astrocytes in the progression of brain cancer: complicating the picture of the tumor microenvironment,” Tumor Biology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 61–69, 2016.
- Yasuo Iwadate, Kazumasa Fukuda, Tomoo Matsutani, and Naokatsu Saeki, “Intrinsic protective mechanisms of the neuron-glia network against glioma invasion,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, 2016.