Retraction | Open Access
Journal of Metallurgy, "Retracted: Inhibition Effect of Substituted Thiadiazoles on Corrosion Activity of N80 Steel in HCl Solution", Journal of Metallurgy, vol. 2019, Article ID 1678431, 1 page, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1678431
Retracted: Inhibition Effect of Substituted Thiadiazoles on Corrosion Activity of N80 Steel in HCl Solution
Journal of Metallurgy has retracted the article titled “Inhibition Effect of Substituted Thiadiazoles on Corrosion Activity of N80 Steel in HCl Solution” . The article was found to contain images reused in several other articles published by Mahendra Yadav and colleagues. The details of the reuse of images are as follows:
Figure 9(b) is similar to Figure 11b in , Figure 17b in , Figure 14b in , and Figure 5b in . Figure 9(c) is similar to Figure 11c in , Figure 17c in , and Figure 14c in . In particular, Figure 9 in  shares the same image of a sample in HCl as Figure 11 in  and the same image in the presence of an inhibitor, but these represent different inhibitors in each article, AMPT, and BAL, respectively.
We asked the authors to provide the underlying uncropped and unadjusted scanning electron microscopy (SEM) images, the raw data, and details of how the experiments were conducted.
The corresponding author, Dr. Yadav, said the SEM work was outsourced but did not give details on where, when, or by whom this work was performed. The equipment is described as a “JEOL JSM-6380 LA analytical scanning electron microscope” in this article. However, there is no description of the scanning electron microscope in  and in  it is described as a “Scanning Electron Microscope model SEM Jeol JSM-5800.” These are not the same model of microscope, despite these articles sharing some of the same SEM images.
Dr. Yadav provided us with replacement figures. However, they were identical for two of the articles, [1, 6], despite representing experiments with the inhibitors AMPT and ODAEODI, respectively. We were not told how these images were generated, the images were of low resolution, and the text in the images was illegible.
The corresponding author agreed to retraction and we have asked the institution to formally investigate.
- M. Yadav, S. Kumar, and D. Behera, “Inhibition Effect of Substituted Thiadiazoles on Corrosion Activity of N80 Steel in HCl Solution,” Journal of Metallurgy, vol. 2013, Article ID 256403, 14 pages, 2013.
- M. Yadav, S. Kumar, and P. N. Yadav, “Corrosion Inhibition of Tubing Steel during Acidization of Oil and Gas Wells,” Journal of Petroleum Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 354630, 9 pages, 2013.
- M. Yadav, U. Sharma, and P. N. Yadav, “Isatin compounds as corrosion inhibitors for N80 steel in 15% HCl,” Egyptian Journal of Petroleum, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 335–344, 2013.
- M. Yadav, U. Sharma, and P. Yadav, “Corrosion inhibitive properties of some new isatin derivatives on corrosion of N80 steel in 15% HCl,” International Journal of Industrial Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 6, 2013.
- M. Yadav, P. N. Yadav, and U. Sharma, “Substituted imidazoles as corrosion inhibitors for N80 steel in hydrochloric acid,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 20, pp. 363–370, 2013.
- M. Yadav, S. Kumar, U. Sharma, and P. N. Yadav, “Substituted amines as corrosion inhibitors for N80 steel in 15%HCl,” Journal of Materials and Environmental Science, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 691–700, 2013.
Copyright © 2019 Journal of Metallurgy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.