- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 8750193, 6 pages
Tracking a Marine Ecotourism Star: Movements of the Short Ocean Sunfish Mola ramsayi in Nusa Penida, Bali, Indonesia
1California Academy of Sciences, 55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
2Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, 7700 Sandholdt Road, Moss Landing, CA 95039, USA
3Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William & Mary, Gloucester Point, VA 23062-1346, USA
4Conservation International, Jalan Dr. Muwardi, No. 17, Bali 80235, Indonesia
5Hasanuddin University, Makassar, South Sulawesi 90245, Indonesia
Received 16 May 2016; Accepted 13 July 2016
Academic Editor: Robert A. Patzner
Copyright © 2016 Tierney Thys et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. D. Welly, I. P. Primaoktasa, D. Putra, and M. J. Tatas, “Profil wisata bahari Nusa Penida, Kabupaten Klungkung, Propinsi Bali,” Report for the Coral Triangle Center, Coral Triangle Center (CTC), Sanur, Indonesia, 2011.
- N. S. Ningsih, N. Rakhmaputeri, and A. B. Harto, “Upwelling variability along the southern coast of Bali and in Nusa Tenggara waters,” Ocean Science Journal, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2013.
- N. Konow, R. Fitzpatrick, and A. Barnett, “Adult emperor angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator) clean Giant sunfishes (Mola mola) at Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia,” Coral Reefs, vol. 25, no. 2, p. 208, 2006.
- M. I. H. Putra, E. Indrayanti, and M. Zainuri, “Variabilitas suhu dan kecepatan arus terhadup keberadaan ikan matahari (Mola ramsayi) di perairran kepulauan Nusa Penida,” Jurnal Oseanografi, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 545–555 (Italian), 2015 (Indonesian).
- N. D. Phillips, C. Harrod, A. R. Gates, T. M. Thys, and J. D. R. Houghton, “Seeking the sun in deep, dark places: mesopelagic sightings of ocean sunfishes (Molidae),” Journal of Fish Biology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1118–1126, 2015.
- T. M. Thys, J. P. Ryan, H. Dewar et al., “Ecology of the Ocean Sunfish, Mola mola, in the southern California Current System,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 471, pp. 64–76, 2015.
- E. C. Pope, G. C. Hays, T. M. Thys et al., “The biology and ecology of the ocean sunfish Mola mola: a review of current knowledge and future research perspectives,” Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 471–487, 2010.
- K. Matsuura, “Molidae: molas (ocean sunfishes, headfishes),” in FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes: The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Atlantic Bony Fishes. Part 2 (Opistognathidae to Molidae) Sea Turtles and Marine Mammals, K. E. Carpenter, Ed., vol. 3, pp. 2014–2015, FAO, Tokyo, Japan, 2002.
- H. Dewar, T. Thys, S. L. H. Teo et al., “Satellite tracking the world's largest jelly predator, the ocean sunfish, Mola mola, in the Western Pacific,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 393, no. 1-2, pp. 32–42, 2010.
- I. F. Potter and W. H. Howell, “Vertical movements and behavior of the ocean sunfish,” Mola Mola in the Northwest Atlantic. Marine Biology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 531–540, 2011.
- L. L. Sousa, N. Queiroz, G. Mucientes, N. E. Humphries, and D. W. Sims, “Environmental influence on the seasonal movements of satellite-tracked ocean sunfish Mola mola in the north-east Atlantic,” Animal Biotelemetry, vol. 4, article 7, 2016.