NanocompositesView this Special Issue
Jihua Gou, Scott O'Braint, Haichang Gu, Gangbing Song, "Damping Augmentation of Nanocomposites Using Carbon Nanofiber Paper", Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2006, Article ID 032803, 7 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/JNM/2006/32803
Damping Augmentation of Nanocomposites Using Carbon Nanofiber Paper
Vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) process was used to fabricate the nanocomposites through integrating carbon nanofiber paper into traditional glass fiber reinforced composites. The carbon nanofiber paper had a porous structure with highly entangled carbon nanofibers and short glass fibers. In this study, the carbon nanofiber paper was employed as an interlayer and surface layer of composite laminates to enhance the damping properties. Experiments conducted using the nanocomposite beam indicated up to 200–700% increase of the damping ratios at higher frequencies. The scanning electron microscopy (SEM) characterization of the carbon nanofiber paper and the nanocomposites was also conducted to investigate the impregnation of carbon nanofiber paper by the resin during the VARTM process and the mechanics of damping augmentation. The study showed a complete penetration of the resin through the carbon nanofiber paper. The connectivities between carbon nanofibers and short glass fibers within the carbon nanofiber paper were responsible for the significant energy dissipation in the nanocomposites during the damping tests.
- O. Breuer and U. Sundararaj, “Big returns from small fibers: a review of polymer/carbon nanotube composites,” Polymer Composites, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 630–645, 2004.
- E. T. Thostenson, Z. Ren, and T.-W. Chou, “Advances in the science and technology of carbon nanotubes and their composites: a review,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 13, pp. 1899–1912, 2001.
- K.-T. Lau and D. Hui, “The revolutionary creation of new advanced materials—carbon nanotube composites,” Composites Part B: Engineering, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 263–277, 2002.
- F. H. Gojny, M. H. G. Wichmann, B. Fiedler, W. Bauhofer, and K. Schulte, “Influence of nano-modification on the mechanical and electrical properties of conventional fibre-reinforced composites,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1525–1535, 2005.
- F. H. Gojny, M. H. G. Wichmann, U. Köpke, B. Fiedler, and K. Schulte, “Carbon nanotube-reinforced epoxy-composites: enhanced stiffness and fracture toughness at low nanotube content,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 15, pp. 2363–2371, 2004.
- D. Qian, E. C. Dickey, R. Andrews, and T. Rantell, “Load transfer and deformation mechanisms in carbon nanotube-polystyrene composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 76, no. 20, pp. 2868–2870, 2000.
- L. S. Schadler, S. C. Giannaris, and P. M. Ajayan, “Load transfer in carbon nanotube epoxy composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 26, pp. 3842–3844, 1998.
- H. Ma, J. Zeng, M. L. Realff, S. Kumar, and D. A. Schiraldi, “Processing, structure, and properties of fibers from polyester/carbon nanofiber composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1617–1628, 2003.
- C. Bower, R. Rosen, L. Jin, J. Han, and O. Zhou, “Deformation of carbon nanotubes in nanotube-polymer composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 74, no. 22, pp. 3317–3319, 1999.
- Z. Ounaies, C. Park, K. E. Wise, E. J. Siochi, and J. S. Harrison, “Electrical properties of single wall carbon nanotube reinforced polyimide composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1637–1646, 2003.
- J. Sandler, M. S. P. Shaffer, T. Prasse, W. Bauhofer, K. Schulte, and A. H. Windle, “Development of a dispersion process for carbon nanotubes in an epoxy matrix and the resulting electrical properties,” Polymer, vol. 40, no. 21, pp. 5967–5971, 1999.
- S. J. Park, S. T. Lim, M. S. Cho, H. M. Kim, J. Joo, and H. J. Choi, “Electrical properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube/poly(methyl methacrylate) nanocomposite,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 302–304, 2005.
- T. Kashiwagi, E. Grulke, J. Hilding et al., “Thermal and flammability properties of polypropylene/carbon nanotube nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 4227–4239, 2004.
- S. Peeterbroeck, M. Alexandre, J. B. Nagy et al., “Polymer-layered silicate-carbon nanotube nanocomposites: unique nanofiller synergistic effect,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 15, pp. 2317–2323, 2004.
- W. H. Liao and K. W. Wang, “On the analysis of viscoelastic materials for active constrained layer damping treatments,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 207, no. 3, pp. 319–334, 1997.
- H. Kishi, M. Kuwata, S. Matsuda, T. Asami, and A. Murakami, “Damping properties of thermoplastic-elastomer interleaved carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 16, pp. 2517–2523, 2004.
- W. Pulliam, D. Lee, G. Carman, and G. McKnight, “Thin-layer magnetostrictive composite films for turbomachinery fan blade damping,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2003: Industrial and Commercial Applications of Smart Structures Technologies, vol. 5054 of Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, pp. 360–371, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2003.
- J. Suhr, N. A. Koratkar, P. Keblinski, and P. Ajayan, “Viscoelasticity in carbon nanotube composites,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 134–137, 2005.
- N. A. Koratkar, B. Wei, and P. M. Ajayan, “Multifunctional structural reinforcement featuring carbon nanotube films,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1525–1531, 2003.
- N. A. Koratkar, B. Wei, and P. M. Ajayan, “Carbon nanotube films for damping applications,” Advanced Materials, vol. 14, no. 13-14, pp. 997–1000, 2002.
- J. Gou, B. Minaie, B. Wang, Z. Liang, and C. Zhang, “Computational and experimental study of interfacial bonding of single-walled nanotube reinforced composites,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 31, no. 3-4, pp. 225–236, 2004.
- Z. Wang, Z. Liang, B. Wang, C. Zhang, and L. Kramer, “Processing and property investigation of single-walled carbon nanotube (SWNT) buckypaper/epoxy resin matrix nanocomposites,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1225–1232, 2004.
- J. Gou, Z. Liang, and B. Wang, “Experimental design and optimization of dispersion process for single-walled carbon nanotube bucky paper,” International Journal of Nanoscience, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 293–307, 2004.
Copyright © 2006 Jihua Gou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.