- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 858935, 11 pages
Electrodeposition, Characterization, and Corrosion Stability of Nanostructured Anodic Oxides on New Ti-15Zr-5Nb Alloy Surface
Romanian Academy, Institute of Physical Chemistry “Ilie Murgulescu,” Splaiul Independentei 202, 060021 Bucharest, Romania
Received 11 February 2013; Accepted 20 March 2013
Academic Editor: Mohamed Bououdina
Copyright © 2013 Jose M. Calderon Moreno et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. K. Zysset, X. E. Guo, C. E. Hoffler, K. E. Moore, and S. A. Goldstein, “Mechanical properties of human trabecular bone lamellae quantified by nanoindentation,” Technology and Health Care, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 429–432, 1998.
- E. Eisenbarth, D. Velten, M. Müller, R. Thull, and J. Breme, “Biocompatibility of β-stabilizing elements of titanium alloys,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 26, pp. 5705–5713, 2004.
- P. Thomsen, C. Larsson, L. E. Ericson, L. Sennerby, J. Lausmaa, and B. Kasemo, “Structure of the interface between rabbit cortical bone and implants of gold, zirconium and titanium,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 653–665, 1997.
- S. Tanaka, H. Tobimatsu, Y. Maruyama, T. Tanaki, and G. Jerkiewicz, “Preparation and characterization of microporous layers on titanium,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 2312–2319, 2009.
- A. Zeller, A. Musyanovych, M. Kappl et al., “Nanostructured coatings by adhesion of phosphonated polystyrene particles onto titanium surface for implant material applications,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 2421–2428, 2010.
- A. Nakahira, T. Kubo, and C. Numako, “TiO2-derived titanate nanotubes by hydrothermal process with acid treatments and their microstructural evaluation,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 2611–2616, 2010.
- P. He, J. Tao, J. Xue, and Y. Chen, “Cytotoxicity property of nano-TiO2 sol and nano-TiO2 powder,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2011, Article ID 261605, 8 pages, 2011.
- J. Park, S. Bauer, K. Von Der Mark, and P. Schmuki, “Nanosize and vitality: TiO2 nanotube diameter directs cell fate,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1686–1691, 2007.
- T. Dey, P. Roy, B. Fabry, and P. Schmuki, “Anodic mesoporous TiO2 layer on Ti for enhanced formation of biomimetic hydroxyapatite,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1873–1879, 2011.
- H. H. Park, I. S. Park, K. S. Kim et al., “Bioactive and electrochemical characterization of TiO2 nanotubes on titanium via anodic oxidation,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 55, no. 20, pp. 6109–6114, 2010.
- Y. Shibata, D. Suzuki, S. Omori et al., “The characteristics of in vitro biological activity of titanium surfaces anodically oxidized in chloride solutions,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 33, pp. 8546–8555, 2010.
- F. M. B. Hassan, H. Nanjo, S. Venkatachalam, M. Kanakubo, and T. Ebina, “Effect of the solvent on growth of titania nanotubes prepared by anodization of Ti in HCl,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 3130–3137, 2010.
- E. Peláez-Abellán, L. Rocha-Sousa, W. D. Müller, and A. C. Guastaldi, “Electrochemical stability of anodic titanium oxide films grown at potentials higher than 3 V in a simulated physiological solution,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 1645–1655, 2007.
- J. C. Mirza Rosca, M. V. Popa, E. Vasilescu, P. Drob, C. Vasilescu, and S. I. Drob, “Effects of electrochemical and thermal oxidation on the behaviour of some biomaterials in simulated body fluids,” Revue Roumaine de Chimie, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 639–646, 2010.
- R. Narayanan and S. K. Seshadri, “Phosphoric acid anodization of Ti-6Al-4V—structural and corrosion aspects,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 542–558, 2007.
- S. K. Poznyak, A. D. Lisenkov, M. G. S. Ferreira, A. I. Kulak, and M. L. Zheludkevich, “Impedance behaviour of anodic TiO2 films prepared by galvanostatic anodisation and powerful pulsed discharge in electrolyte,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 76, pp. 453–461, 2012.
- Z. Li, C. Ning, D. Ding, H. Liu, and L. Huang, “Biological properties of Ti-Nb-Zr-O nanostructures grown on Ti35Nb5Zr alloy,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 834042, 7 pages, 2012.
- T. Hanawa, “In vivo metallic biomaterials and surface modification,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 267, no. 2, pp. 260–266, 1999.
- Z. Cai, H. Nakajima, M. Woldu, A. Berglund, M. Bergman, and T. Okabe, “In vitro corrosion resistance of titanium made using different fabrication methods,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 183–190, 1999.
- R. Van Noort, “Titanium: the implant material of today,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 3801–3811, 1987.
- E. Vasilescu, P. Drob, D. Raducanu et al., “Effect of thermo-mechanical processing on the corrosion resistance of Ti6Al4V alloys in biofluids,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 2885–2896, 2009.
- E. Vasilescu, P. Drob, D. Raducanu et al., “In vitro biocompatibility and corrosion resistance of a new implant titanium base alloy,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1959–1968, 2010.
- D. J. Blackwood, A. W. C. Chua, K. H. W. Seah, R. Thampuran, and S. H. Teoh, “Corrosion behaviour of porous titanium-graphite composites designed for surgical implants,” Corrosion Science, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 481–503, 2000.
- M. V. Popa, I. Demetrescu, E. Vasilescu et al., “Corrosion susceptibility of implant materials Ti-5Al-4V and Ti-6Al-4Fe in artificial extra-cellular fluids,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 49, no. 13, pp. 2113–2121, 2004.
- V. D. Cojocaru, D. Raducanu, I. Cinca et al., “Improvement of the corrosion resistance and structural and mechanical properties of a titanium base alloy by thermo-mechanical processing,” Materials and Corrosion, 2012.
- M. V. Popa, I. Demetrescu, S. H. Suh et al., “Monitoring of titanium base alloys-biofluids interface,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 126–134, 2007.
- V. G. Pol, S. H. Kang, J. M. Calderon-Moreno, C. S. Johnson, and M. M. Thackeray, “Autogenic reactions for preparing carbon-encapsulated, nanoparticulate TiO2 electrodes for lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 195, no. 15, pp. 5039–5043, 2010.
- H. C. Choi, Y. M. Jung, and S. B. Kim, “Size effects in the Raman spectra of TiO2 nanoparticles,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2005.
- M. V. Popa, J. M. C. Moreno, M. Popa et al., “Electrochemical deposition of bioactive coatings on Ti and Ti-6Al-4V surfaces,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 205, no. 20, pp. 4776–4783, 2011.
- M. Popa, E. Vasilescu, P. Drob et al., “Biomimetic deposition of nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite coatings on non-allergic Ti-20Nb-10Zr-5Ta and stability of the coated alloy in body fluids,” Journal of American Ceramic Society, vol. 95, no. 12, pp. 3807–3814, 2012.
- P. N. de Aza, F. Guitian, C. Santos, S. de Aza, R. Cusco, and L. Artus, “Vibrational properties of calcium phosphate compounds. 2. Comparison between hydroxyapatite and β-tricalcium phosphate,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 916–922, 1997.
- Y. Zhao, G. Zhu, X. Jiao, W. Liu, and W. Pang, “Template synthesis and characterization of a new 2-D layered titanium phosphate,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 463–467, 2000.
- T. Masui, H. Hirai, N. Imanaka, and G. Y. Adachi, “New sunscreen materials based on amorphous cerium and titanium phosphate,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 408–412, pp. 1141–1144, 2006.
- H. J. De Jager and L. C. Prinsloo, “The dehydration of phosphates monitored by DSC/TGA and in situ Raman spectroscopy,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 376, no. 2, pp. 187–196, 2001.
- M. P. Neupane, Y. K. Kim, I. S. Park, S. J. Lee, M. H. Lee, and T. S. Bae, “Effect of electrolyte pH on the structure and in vitro osteoblasts response to anodic titanium oxide,” Metals and Materials International, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 607–613, 2008.
- S. L. Assis, S. Wolynec, and I. Costa, “The electrochemical behaviour of Ti-13Nb-13Zr alloy in various solutions,” Materials and Corrosion, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 739–743, 2008.
- A. Robin, O. A. S. Carvalho, S. G. Schneider, and S. Schneider, “Corrosion behavior of Ti-xNb-13Zr alloys in Ringer's solution,” Materials and Corrosion, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 929–933, 2008.
- R. Z. Legeros, S. Lin, R. Rohanizadeh, D. Mijares, and J. P. Legeros, “Biphasic calcium phosphate bioceramics: preparation, properties and applications,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 201–209, 2003.
- Y.-H. Jeong, H.-C. Choe, and W. A. Brantley, “Electrochemical and surface behavior of hydroxyapatite/Ti film on nanotubular Ti-35Nb-xZr alloys,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 258, no. 6, pp. 2129–2136, 2012.
- M. T. Woldemedhin, D. Raabe, and A. W. Hassel, “Characterization of thin anodic oxides of Ti-Nb alloys by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 82, pp. 324–332, 2012.
- I. Milošev, T. Kosec, and H. H. Strehblow, “XPS and EIS study of the passive film formed on orthopaedic Ti-6Al-7Nb alloy in Hank's physiological solution,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 3547–3558, 2008.
- V. A. Alves, R. Q. Reis, I. C. B. Santos et al., “In situ impedance spectroscopy study of the electrochemical corrosion of Ti and Ti-6Al-4V in simulated body fluid at 25°C and 37°C,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2473–2482, 2009.
- S. Tamilselvi and N. Rajendran, “In vitro corrosion behaviour of Ti-5Al-2Nb-1Ta alloy in Hanks solution,” Materials and Corrosion, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 285–289, 2007.
- E. Blasco-Tamarit, A. Igual-Muñoz, J. G. Antón, and D. M. García-García, “Galvanic corrosion of titanium coupled to welded titanium in LiBr solutions at different temperatures,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1095–1102, 2009.
- G. Sheela, M. Ramasamy, C. R. K. Rao, and M. Pushpavanam, “Electrochemical assessment on corrosion behaviour of electrochemically joined dissimilar metal joints,” Bulletin of Electrochemistry, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 347–350, 2001.