- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 864374, 11 pages
Fabrication of Novel Biodegradable α-Tricalcium Phosphate Cement Set by Chelating Capability of Inositol Phosphate and Its Biocompatibility
1Department of Applied Chemistry, School of Science and Technology, Meiji University, 1-1-1 Higashimita, Tama-ku, Kawasaki 214-8571, Japan
2Kanagawa Academy of Science and Technology (KAST), KSP East 404, 3-2-1 Sakado, Takatsu-ku, Kawasaki 213-0012, Japan
3Showa Ika Kohgyo Co., Ltd., 8-7 Hanei-nishimachi, Toyohashi 441-8026, Japan
4Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan
Received 8 April 2013; Accepted 8 May 2013
Academic Editor: Eng San Thian
Copyright © 2013 Toshiisa Konishi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Ishikawa, S. Takagi, L. C. Chow, and Y. Ishikawa, “Properties and mechanisms of fast-setting calcium phosphate cements,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 528–533, 1995.
- U. Gbureck, J. E. Barralet, K. Spatz, L. M. Grover, and R. Thull, “Ionic modification of calcium phosphate cement viscosity. Part I: hypodermic injection and strength improvement of apatite cement,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2187–2195, 2004.
- J. E. Barralet, M. Tremayne, K. J. Lilley, and U. Gbureck, “Modification of calcium phosphate cement with α-hydroxy acids and their salts,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1313–1319, 2005.
- Y. Miyamoto, K. Ishikawa, M. Takechi, et al., “Histological and compositional evaluations of three types of calcium phosphate cements when implanted in subcutaneous tissue immediately after mixing,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 48, pp. 36–42, 1999.
- H. Monma and T. Kanazawa, “The hydration of α-tricalcium phosphate,” Yogyo-Kyokai-Shi, vol. 84, pp. 209–213, 1976.
- W. E. Brown and L. C. Chow, “Dental restorative cement pastes,” US Patent No. US4518430, 1985.
- D. Apelt, F. Theiss, A. O. El-Warrak et al., “In vivo behavior of three different injectable hydraulic calcium phosphate cements,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 7-8, pp. 1439–1451, 2004.
- M. Aizawa, Y. Haruta, and I. Okada, “Development of novel cement processing using hydroxyapatite particles modified with inositol phosphate,” in Archives of BioCeramics Research, vol. 3, pp. 134–138, 2003.
- Y. Horiguchi, A. Yoshikawa, K. Oribe, and M. Aizawa, “Fabrication of chelate-setting hydroxyapatite cements from four kinds of commercially-available powder with various shape and crystallinity and their mechanical property,” Nippon Seramikkusu Kyokai Gakujutsu Ronbunshi, vol. 116, no. 1349, pp. 50–55, 2008.
- T. Konishi, Z. Zhuang, M. Mizumoto, M. Honda, and M. Aizawa, “Fabrication of chelate-setting cement from hydroxyapatite powder prepared by simultaneously grinding and surface-modifying with sodium inositol hexaphosphate and their material properties,” Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, vol. 120, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- T. Konishi, Y. Horiguchi, M. Mizumoto, et al., “Novel chelate-setting calcium-phosphate cements fabricated with wet-synthesized hydroxyapatite powder,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 24, pp. 611–621, 2013.
- T. H. Dao, “Polyvalent cation effects on myo-inositol hexakis dihydrogenphosphate enzymatic dephosphorylation in dairy wastewater,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 694–701, 2003.
- C. J. Martin and W. J. Evans, “Phytic acid-metal ion interactions. II. The effect of pH on Ca(II) binding,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, pp. 2717–2730, 1986.
- S. Takahashi, T. Konishi, K. Nishiyama et al., “Fabrication of novel bioresorbable β-tricalcium phosphate cement on the basis of chelate-setting mechanism of inositol phosphate and its evaluation,” Nippon Seramikkusu Kyokai Gakujutsu Ronbunshi/Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, vol. 119, no. 1385, pp. 35–42, 2011.
- T. Konishi, S. Takahashi, M. Mizumoto, M. Honda, K. Oribe, and M. Aizawa, “Effect of the addition of various polysaccharides on the material properties and cytotoxicity of chelate-setting β-tricalcium phosphate cement,” Phosphorus Research Bulletin, vol. 26, pp. 59–64, 2012.
- T. Konishi, S. Takahashi, and Z. Zetal, “Biodegradable β-tricalcium phosphate cement with anti-washout property based on chelate-setting mechanism of inositol phosphate,” Journal of Materials Science, 2013.
- F. H. Lin, C. J. Liao, K. S. Chen, J. S. Sun, and C. P. Lin, “Petal-like apatite formed on the surface of tricalcium phosphate ceramic after soaking in distilled water,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 2981–2992, 2001.
- P. Ducheyne, S. Radin, and L. King, “The effect of calcium phosphate ceramic composition and structure on in vitro behavior. I. Dissolution,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1993.
- M. Yamada, M. Shiota, Y. Yamashita, and S. Kasugai, “Histological and histomorphometrical comparative study of the degradation and osteoconductive characteristics of α- and β-tricalcium phosphate in block grafts,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 139–148, 2007.
- Y. Li, X. Zhang, and K. de Groot, “Hydrolysis and phase transition of alpha-tricalcium phosphate,” Biomaterials, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 737–741, 1997.
- K. S. TenHuisen and P. W. Brown, “Formation of calcium-deficient hydroxyapatite from α-tricalcium phosphate,” Biomaterials, vol. 19, no. 23, pp. 2209–2217, 1998.
- M. P. Ginebra, E. Fernandez, F. C. M. Driessens et al., “The effects of temperature on the behaviour of an apatitic calcium phosphate cement,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 857–860, 1995.
- U. Gbureck, J. E. Barralet, L. Radu, H. G. Klinger, and R. Thull, “Amorphous α-tricalcium phosphate: preparation and aqueous setting reaction,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1126–1132, 2004.
- C. L. Camiré, P. Nevsten, L. Lidgren, and I. McCarthy, “The effect of crystallinity on strength development ofα-TCP bone substitutes,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 79, pp. 159–165, 2006.
- C. L. Camiré, U. Gbureck, W. Hirsiger, and M. Bohner, “Correlating crystallinity and reactivity in an α-tricalcium phosphate,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 2787–2794, 2005.
- M. Bohner, A. K. Malsy, C. L. Camiré, and U. Gbureck, “Combining particle size distribution and isothermal calorimetry data to determine the reaction kinetics of α-tricalcium phosphate-water mixtures,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 343–348, 2006.
- T. J. Brunner, R. N. Grass, M. Bohner, and W. J. Stark, “Effect of particle size, crystal phase and crystallinity on the reactivity of tricalcium phosphate cements for bone reconstruction,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 38, pp. 4072–4078, 2007.
- C. J. Martin and W. J. Evans, “Phytic acid-metal ion interactions. II. The effect of pH on Ca(II) binding,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 27, pp. 17–30, 1986.
- B. M. Luttrell, “The biological relevance of the binding of calcium ions by inositol phosphates,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 3, pp. 1521–1524, 1993.
- K. Ikami, M. Iwaku, and H. Ozawa, “An ultrastructural study of the process of hard tissue formation in amputated dental pulp dressed with α-tricalcium phosphate,” Archives of Histology and Cytology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 227–243, 1990.
- H. Oonishi, L. L. Hench, J. Wilson et al., “Comparative bone growth behavior in granules of bioceramic materials of various sizes,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 31–43, 1999.
- M. Kitamura, C. Ohtsuki, H. Iwasaki, S. I. Ogata, M. Tanihara, and T. Miyazaki, “The controlled resorption of porous α-tricalcium phosphate using a hydroxypropylcellulose coating,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1153–1158, 2004.
- H. Kihara, M. Shiota, Y. Yamashita, and S. Kasugai, “Biodegradation process of α-TCP particles and new bone formation in a rabbit cranial defect model,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 284–291, 2006.
- M. Nyan, D. Sato, H. Kihara, T. MacHida, K. Ohya, and S. Kasugai, “Effects of the combination with α-tricalcium phosphate and simvastatin on bone regeneration,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 280–287, 2009.