- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 634726, 6 pages
Optimizing the Processing Conditions for the Reinforcement of Epoxy Resin by Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati 781039, India
Received 31 May 2013; Accepted 6 July 2013
Academic Editor: Guifu Zou
Copyright © 2013 S. Arun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. H. Gojny, M. H. G. Wichmann, B. Fiedler, and K. Schulte, “Influence of different carbon nanotubes on the mechanical properties of epoxy matrix composites—a comparative study,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 65, no. 15-16, pp. 2300–2313, 2005.
- M.-F. Yu, B. S. Files, S. Arepalli, and R. S. Ruoff, “Tensile loading of ropes of single wall carbon nanotubes and their mechanical properties,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 84, no. 24, pp. 5552–5555, 2000.
- M. Kim, Y.-B. Park, O. I. Okoli, and C. Zhang, “Processing, characterization, and modeling of carbon nanotube-reinforced multiscale composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 3-4, pp. 335–342, 2009.
- O. Starkova, S. T. Buschhorn, E. Mannov, K. Schulte, and A. Aniskevich, “Creep and recovery of epoxy/MWCNT nanocomposites,” Composites A, vol. 43, pp. 1212–1218, 2012.
- H. Mahfuz, S. Zainuddin, M. R. Parker, T. Al-Saadi, V. K. Rangari, and S. Jeelani, “Reinforcement of SC-15 epoxy with CNT/CNF under high magnetic field: an investigation of mechanical and thermal response,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 1113–1120, 2009.
- L. He and S. C. Tjong, “Carbon nanotube/epoxy resin composite: correlation between state of nanotube dispersion and Zener tunneling parameters,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 162, pp. 2277–2281, 2012.
- P.-C. Ma, S.-Y. Mo, B.-Z. Tang, and J.-K. Kim, “Dispersion, interfacial interaction and re-agglomeration of functionalized carbon nanotubes in epoxy composites,” Carbon, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1824–1834, 2010.
- N. A. Buang, F. Fadil, Z. A. Majid, and S. Shahir, “Characteristic of mild acid functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes towards high dispersion with low structural defects,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2012.
- M. Theodore, M. Hosur, J. Thomas, and S. Jeelani, “Influence of functionalization on properties of MWCNT-epoxy nanocomposites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 528, no. 3, pp. 1192–1200, 2011.
- N. Yu, Z. H. Zhang, and S. Y. He, “Fracture toughness and fatigue life of MWCNT/epoxy composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 494, no. 1-2, pp. 380–384, 2008.
- M. M. Rahman, S. Zainuddin, M. V. Hosur et al., “Improvements in mechanical and thermo-mechanical properties of e-glass/epoxy composites using amino functionalized MWCNTs,” Composite Structures, vol. 94, pp. 2397–2406, 2012.
- W. Cui, F. Du, J. Zhao et al., “Improving thermal conductivity while retaining high electrical resistivity of epoxy composites by incorporating silica-coated multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 495–500, 2011.
- S. K. Pillai and S. S. Ray, “Epoxy-based carbon nanotubes reinforced composites in advances,” in Nanocomposites—Synthesis, Characterization and Industrial Applications, B. Reddy, Ed., pp. 727–792, 2011.
- J. G. Park, Q. Cheng, J. Lu et al., “Thermal conductivity of MWCNT/epoxy composites: the effects of length, alignment and functionalization,” Carbon, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 2083–2090, 2012.
- K. Esumi, M. Ishigami, A. Nakajima, K. Sawada, and H. Honda, “Chemical treatment of carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 279–281, 1996.
- M. A. M. Motchelaho, H. Xiong, M. Moyo, L. L. Jewell, and N. J. Coville, “Effect of acid treatment on the surface of multiwalled carbon nanotubes prepared from Fe-Co supported on CaCO3: correlation with Fischer-Tropsch catalyst activity,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, vol. 335, no. 1-2, pp. 189–198, 2011.
- ASTM D 695-10., “Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Plastics,” 2010.
- F. H. Gojny and K. Schulte, “Functionalisation effect on the thermo-mechanical behaviour of multi-wall carbon nanotube/epoxy-composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 15, pp. 2303–2308, 2004.
- L. Guadagno, L. Vertuccio, A. Sorrentino et al., “Mechanical and barrier properties of epoxy resin filled with multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 2419–2430, 2009.
- G. Venkata Ramana, B. Padya, R. Naresh Kumar, K. P. V. Prabhakar, and P. K. Jain, “Mechanical properties of multi-walled carbon nanotubes reinforced polymer nanocomposites,” Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 331–337, 2010.