- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 651936, 13 pages
Mindfulness Intervention for Stress Eating to Reduce Cortisol and Abdominal Fat among Overweight and Obese Women: An Exploratory Randomized Controlled Study
1Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
2Department of Psychology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN 47809, USA
3California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
5Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
6Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Received 12 March 2011; Accepted 1 June 2011
Academic Editor: Renato Pasquali
Copyright © 2011 Jennifer Daubenmier et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [55 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Jue Lin, Elizabeth Blackburn, Frederick M. Hecht, Jean Kristeller, Nicole Maninger, Margaret Kuwata, Peter Bacchetti, Peter J. Havel, and Elissa Epel, “Changes in stress, eating, and metabolic factors are related to changes in telomerase activity in a randomized mindfulness intervention pilot study,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 917–928, 2012.
- V. Drapeau, and A. R. Gallant, “Homeostatic and Circadian Control of Food Intake: Clinical Strategies to Prevent Overconsumption,” Current Obesity Reports, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 93–103, 2012.
- Wolf E. Mehling, Cynthia Price, Jennifer J. Daubenmier, Mike Acree, Elizabeth Bartmess, and Anita Stewart, “The Multidimensional Assessment of Interoceptive Awareness (MAIA),” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 11, 2012.
- Linda E. Carlson, “Mindfulness-Based Interventions for Physical Conditions: A Narrative Review Evaluating Levels of Evidence,” ISRN Psychiatry, vol. 2012, pp. 1–21, 2012.
- Akihiko Masuda, and Mary L Hill, “Mindfulness as therapy for disordered eating: a systematic review,” Neuropsychiatry, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 433–447, 2013.
- Rae Jean Proeschold-Bell, Robin Swift, H. Edgar Moore, Gary Bennett, Xiang-Fang Li, Rachel Blouin, Virginia P. Williams, Redford B. Williams, and David Toole, “Use of a randomized multiple baseline design: Rationale and design of the Spirited Life holistic health intervention study,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 138–152, 2013.
- Judi Godsey, “The role of mindfulness based interventions in the treatment of obesity and eating disorders: An integrative review,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 2013.
- Shira Maguen, Erin Madden, Beth Cohen, Daniel Bertenthal, Thomas Neylan, Lisa Talbot, Carl Grunfeld, and Karen Seal, “The Relationship between Body Mass Index and Mental Health Among Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 28, no. S2, pp. 563–570, 2013.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Jocelyn Sze, Catherine E. Kerr, Margaret E. Kemeny, and Wolf Mehling, “Follow your breath: Respiratory interoceptive accuracy in experienced meditators,” Psychophysiology, 2013.
- Jean Kristeller, Ruth Q. Wolever, and Virgil Sheets, “Mindfulness-Based Eating Awareness Training (MB-EAT) for Binge Eating: A Randomized Clinical Trial,” Mindfulness, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 282–297, 2013.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Robert H. Lustig, Frederick M. Hecht, Jean Kristeller, Josh Woolley, Tanja Adam, Mary Dallman, and Elissa Epel, “New Biomarker of Hedonic Eating? A Preliminary Investigation of Cortisol and Nausea Responses to Acute Opioid Blockade,” Appetite, 2013.
- Vera Tsenkova, Jenifer Morozink Boylan, and Carol Ryff, “Stress eating and health. Findings from MIDUS, a national study of US adults,” Appetite, vol. 69, pp. 151–155, 2013.
- Qiong Wu, Lin Shi, Zhipeng Xia, and Lida Lu, “Effects of Duration and Contents of Mindfulness Training on Depression,” Psychology, vol. 04, no. 06, pp. 8–17, 2013.
- Anne Koch, and Olga Pollatos, “Interoceptive sensitivity, body weight and eating behavior in children: a prospective study,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Lenwood W. Hayman, Hannah J. Lee, Alison L. Miller, and Julie C. Lumeng, “Low-Income Women's Conceptualizations of Emotional- and Stress-Eating,” Appetite, 2014.
- A. Janet Tomiyama, Elissa S. Epel, Trissa M. McClatchey, Gina Poelke, Margaret E. Kemeny, Shannon K. Mccoy, and Jennifer Daubenmier, “Associations of Weight Stigma With Cortisol and Oxidative Stress Independent of Adiposity,” Health Psychology, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 862–867, 2014.
- Michail Mantzios, and Janet Clare Wilson, “Exploring Mindfulness and Mindfulness with Self-Compassion-Centered Interventions to Assist Weight Loss: Theoretical Considerations and Preliminary Results of a Randomized Pilot Study,” Mindfulness, 2014.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Dara Hayden, Vickie Chang, and Elissa Epel, “It's Not What You Think: Dispositional Mindfulness Moderates the Relationship between Psychological Distress and the Cortisol Awakening Response,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Melanie Thomas, Cassandra Vieten, Nancy Adler, Ingrid Ammondson, Kimberly Coleman-Phox, Elissa Epel, and Barbara Laraia, “Potential for a Stress Reduction Intervention to Promote Healthy Gestational Weight Gain: Focus Groups with Low-Income Pregnant Women,” Women's Health Issues, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. e305–e311, 2014.
- A Katsarou, F Triposkiadis, J Skoularigis, C Papageorgiou, and D B Panagiotakos, “Evaluating the role of Mediterranean diet and eating behaviors on the likelihood of having a non-fatal acute coronary syndrome, under the context of stress perception: a case–control study,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2014.
- Laura R. Saslow, Sarah Kim, Jennifer J. Daubenmier, Judith T. Moskowitz, Stephen D. Phinney, Veronica Goldman, Elizabeth J. Murphy, Rachel M. Cox, Patricia Moran, and Fredrick M. Hecht, “A Randomized Pilot Trial of a Moderate Carbohydrate Diet Compared to a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet in Overweight or Obese Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus or Prediabetes,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 4, 2014.
- Carla K. Miller, Jean L. Kristeller, Amy Headings, and Haikady Nagaraja, “Comparison of a Mindful Eating Intervention to a Diabetes Self-Management Intervention Among Adults With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” Health Education & Behavior, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 145–154, 2014.
- G. A. O'Reilly, L. Cook, D. Spruijt-Metz, and D. S. Black, “Mindfulness-based interventions for obesity-related eating behaviours: a literature review,” Obesity Reviews, 2014.
- Donna Spruijt-Metz, Gillian A. O’Reilly, Lauren Cook, Kathleen A. Page, and Charlene Quinn, “Behavioral Contributions to the Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 14, no. 4, 2014.
- Sununta Youngwanichsetha, Sasitorn Phumdoung, and Thitiporn Ingkathawornwong, “The Effects of Mindfulness Eating and Yoga Exercise on Blood Sugar Levels of Pregnant Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus,” Applied Nursing Research, 2014.
- Shawn N. Katterman, Brighid M. Kleinman, Megan M. Hood, Lisa M. Nackers, and Joyce Corsica, “Mindfulness meditation as an intervention for binge eating, emotional eating, and weight loss: A systematic review,” Eating Behaviors, 2014.
- Joyce Corsica, Megan M. Hood, Shawn Katterman, Brighid Kleinman, and Iulia Ivan, “Development of a novel mindfulness and cognitive behavioral intervention for stress-eating: A comparative pilot study,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 694–699, 2014.
- Jessica A. Boyce, and Roeline G. Kuijer, “Perceived stress and freshman weight change: The moderating role of baseline body mass index,” Physiology & Behavior, 2014.
- M.A. Ouwens, A.A. Schiffer, L.I. Visser, N.J.C. Raeijmaekers, and I. Nyklíček, “Mindfulness and eating behaviour styles in morbidly obese males and females,” Appetite, 2014.
- Eric B. Loucks, Willoughby B. Britton, Chanelle J. Howe, Charles B. Eaton, and Stephen L. Buka, “Positive Associations of Dispositional Mindfulness with Cardiovascular Health: the New England Family Study,” International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2014.
- Kirstin Aschbacher, Maria Rodriguez-Fernandez, Herman van Wietmarschen, A. Janet Tomiyama, Shamini Jain, Elissa Epel, Francis J. Doyle, and Jan van der Greef, “The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal-leptin axis and metabolic health: a systems approach to resilience, robustness and control,” Interface Focus, vol. 4, no. 5, 2014.
- Marc J. Weigensberg, Christianne J. Lane, Quintilia Avila, Kati Konersman, Emily Ventura, Tanja Adam, Zohreh Shoar, Michael I. Goran, and Donna Spruijt-Metz, “Imagine HEALTH: results from a randomized pilot lifestyle intervention for obese Latino adolescents using Interactive Guided Imagery(SM),” Bmc Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 14, 2014.
- Julia Buss, Peter J. Havel, Elissa Epel, Jue Lin, Elizabeth Blackburn, and Jennifer Daubenmier, “Associations of ghrelin with eating behaviors, stress, metabolic factors, and telomere length among overweight and obese women: Preliminary evidence of attenuated ghrelin effects in obesity?,” Appetite, 2014.
- Rebecca Jing Hou, Samuel Yeung-Shan Wong, Benjamin Hon-Kei Yip, Anchor T. F. Hung, Herman Hay-Ming Lo, Peter H. S. Chan, Cola S. L. Lo, Timothy Chi-Yui Kwok, Wai Kwong Tang, Winnie W. S. Mak, Stewart W. Mercer, and S. Helen Ma, “The Effects of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program on the Mental Health of Family Caregivers: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2014.
- Carl Fulwiler, Judson A. Brewer, Sinead Sinnott, and Eric B. Loucks, “Mindfulness-Based Interventions for Weight Loss and CVD Risk Management,” Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports, vol. 9, no. 10, 2015.
- Lisa M. Anderson, Erin E. Reilly, Katherine Schaumberg, Sasha Dmochowski, and Drew A. Anderson, “Contributions of mindful eating, intuitive eating, and restraint to BMI, disordered eating, and meal consumption in college students,” Eating and Weight Disorders - Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 2015.
- Michael S. Christopher, Brant Rogers, Matthew Hunsinger, Dharmakaya Colgan, Ana Lauren Reiss, and Halley B. Farwood, “Distinguishing Mindful Process from Outcome in the Prediction of Global Health and Perceived Stress in a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program,” Mindfulness, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 693–699, 2015.
- Jean M. Lamont, “Trait body shame predicts health outcomes in college women: A longitudinal investigation,” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2015.
- Michail Mantzios, Janet Clare Wilson, Maggie Linnell, and Paul Morris, “The Role of Negative Cognition, Intolerance of Uncertainty, Mindfulness, and Self-Compassion in Weight Regulation Among Male Army Recruits,” Mindfulness, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 545–552, 2015.
- Geraldine M. Camilleri, Caroline Mejean, France Bellisle, Serge Hercberg, and Sandrine Peneau, “Association between Mindfulness and Weight Status in a General Population from the NutriNet-Sante Study,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 6, 2015.
- Norman Farb, Jennifer Daubenmier, Cynthia J. Price, Tim Gard, Catherine Kerr, Barnaby D. Dunn, Anne Carolyn Klein, Martin P. Paulus, and Wolf E. Mehling, “Interoception, contemplative practice, and health,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 6, 2015.
- Ashley E. Mason, Robert H. Lustig, Rashida R. Brown, Michael Acree, Peter Bacchetti, Patricia J. Moran, Mary Dallman, Barbara Laraia, Nancy Adler, Frederick M. Hecht, Jennifer Daubenmier, and Elissa S. Epel, “Acute responses to opioidergic blockade as a biomarker of hedonic eating among obese women enrolled in a mindfulness-based weight loss intervention trial,” Appetite, 2015.
- Naomi Fisher, Paul Lattimore, and Peter Malinowski, “Attention with a mindful attitude attenuates subjective appetitive reactions and food intake following food-cue exposure,” Appetite, 2015.
- Evelien Van De Veer, Erica Van Herpen, and Hans C. M. Van Trijp, “Body and Mind: Mindfulness Helps Consumers to Compensate for Prior Food Intake by Enhancing the Responsiveness to Physiological Cues,” Journal of Consumer Research, pp. ucv058, 2015.
- Jeanne Dalen, Janet L. Brody, Julie K. Staples, and Donna Sedillo, “A Conceptual Framework for the Expansion of Behavioral Interventions for Youth Obesity: A Family-Based Mindful Eating Approach,” Childhood Obesity, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 577–584, 2015.
- Eric B. Loucks, Willoughby B. Britton, Chanelle J. Howe, Roee Gutman, Stephen E. Gilman, Judson Brewer, Charles B. Eaton, and Stephen L. Buka, “Associations of Dispositional Mindfulness with Obesity and Central Adiposity: the New England Family Study,” International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2015.
- Michail Mantzios, and Janet Clare Wilson, “Mindfulness, Eating Behaviours, and Obesity: A Review and Reflection on Current Findings,” Current Obesity Reports, 2015.
- KayLoni L. Olson, and Charles F. Emery, “Mindfulness and Weight Loss,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 59–67, 2015.
- Antonina Luca, Maria Luca, and Carmela Calandra, “Eating Disorders in Late-life,” Aging and Disease, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 48, 2015.
- Esther K. Papies, Martine van Winckel, and Mike Keesman, “Food-Specific Decentering Experiences Are Associated with Reduced Food Cravings in Meditators: A Preliminary Investigation,” Mindfulness, 2016.
- Amanda M. Dettmer, Lauren J. Wooddell, Kendra L. Rosenberg, Stefano S. K. Kaburu, Melinda A. Novak, Jerrold S. Meyer, and Stephen J. Suomi, “Associations between early life experience, chronic HPA axis activity, and adult social rank in rhesus monkeys,” Social Neuroscience, pp. 1–10, 2016.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Patricia J. Moran, Jean Kristeller, Michael Acree, Peter Bacchetti, Margaret E. Kemeny, Mary Dallman, Robert H. Lustig, Carl Grunfeld, Douglas F. Nixon, Jeffrey M. Milush, Veronica Goldman, Barbara Laraia, Kevin D. Laugero, Leslie Woodhouse, Elissa S. Epel, and Frederick M. Hecht, “Effects of a mindfulness-based weight loss intervention in adults with obesity: A randomized clinical trial,” Obesity, 2016.
- Edie Goldbacher, Caitlin La Grotte, Eugene Komaroff, Stephanie Vander Veur, and Gary D. Foster, “An initial evaluation of a weight loss intervention for individuals who engage in emotional eating,” Journal Of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 139–150, 2016.
- Tatjana van Strien, Hanna Konttinen, Judith R. Homberg, Rutger C.M.E. Engels, and Laura H.H. Winkens, “Emotional eating as a mediator between depression and weight gain,” Appetite, 2016.
- Cynthia Vieira Sanches Sampaio, Manuela Garcia Lima, and Ana Marice Ladeia, “Efficacy of Healing meditation in reducing anxiety of individuals at the phase of weight loss maintenance: A randomized blinded clinical trial,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 29, pp. 1–8, 2016.