- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 206074, 8 pages
Obesity and Preference-Weighted Quality of Life of Ethnically Diverse Middle School Children: The HEALTHY Study
1Social and Health Research Center, 1302 South Saint Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX 78210, USA
2Biostatistics Center, The George Washington University, 6110 Executive Boulevard, Suite 750, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Received 11 January 2013; Accepted 17 May 2013
Academic Editor: Jennifer A. O'Dea
Copyright © 2013 R. P. Treviño et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. de Beer, G. H. Hofsteenge, H. M. Koot, R. A. Hirasing, H. A. Delemarre-van de Waal, and R. J. B. J. Gemke, “Health-related-quality-of-life in obese adolescents is decreased and inversely related to BMI,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 710–714, 2007.
- E. M. Fallon, M. Tanofsky-Kraff, A. Norman et al., “Health-related quality of life in overweight and nonoverweight black and white adolescents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 443–450, 2005.
- S. L. Friedlander, E. K. Larkin, C. L. Rosen, T. M. Palermo, and S. Redline, “Decreased quality of life associated with obesity in school-aged children,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 12, pp. 1206–1211, 2003.
- O. Pinhas-Hamiel, S. Singer, N. Pilpel, A. Fradkin, D. Modan, and B. Reichman, “Health-related quality of life among children and adolescents: associations with obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 267–272, 2006.
- J. B. Schwimmer, T. M. Burwinkle, and J. W. Varni, “Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 14, pp. 1813–1819, 2003.
- K. C. Swallen, E. N. Reither, S. A. Haas, and A. M. Meier, “Overweight, obesity, and health-related quality of life among adolescents: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 340–347, 2005.
- J. Williams, M. Wake, K. Hesketh, E. Maher, and E. Waters, “Health-related quality of life of overweight and obese children,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2005.
- M. H. Zeller and A. C. Modi, “Predictors of health-related quality of life in obese youth,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 122–130, 2006.
- A. R. Hughes, K. Farewell, D. Harris, and J. J. Reilly, “Quality of life in a clinical sample of obese children,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 2007.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- M. C. Weinstein, J. E. Siegel, M. R. Gold, M. S. Kamlet, and L. B. Russell, “Recommendations of the panel on cost-effectiveness in health and medicine,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, no. 15, pp. 1253–1258, 1996.
- G. W. Torrance and D. Feeny, “Utilities and quality-adjusted life years,” International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 559–575, 1989.
- N. Luo, J. A. Johnson, J. W. Shaw, D. Feeny, and S. J. Coons, “Self-reported health status of the general adult U.S. population as assessed by the EQ-5D and health utilities index,” Medical Care, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1078–1086, 2005.
- The Healthy Study Group, “A school-based intervention for diabetes risk reduction,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, pp. 443–453, 2010.
- G. W. Torrance, D. H. Feeny, W. J. Furlong, R. D. Barr, Y. Zhang, and Q. Wang, “Multiattribute utility function for a comprehensive health status classification system. Health Utilities Index Mark 2,” Medical Care, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 702–722, 1996.
- D. Feeny, W. Furlong, G. W. Torrance et al., “Multiattribute and single-attribute utility functions for the Health Utilities Index Mark 3 system,” Medical Care, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 113–128, 2002.
- H. Glick, J. Hoshi, S. Sonnad, and D. Polsky, Economic Evaluation of Clinical Trials, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2007.
- R. D. Barr, T. Simpson, A. Whitton, B. Rush, W. Furlong, and D. H. Feeny, “Health-related quality of life in survivors of tumours of the central nervous system in childhood—a preference-based approach to measurement in a cross-sectional study,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 248–255, 1999.
- A. W. Glaser, W. Furlong, D. A. Walker et al., “Applicability of the health utilities index to a population of childhood survivors of central nervous system tumours in the U.K.,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 256–261, 1999.
- R. D. Barr, D. Chalmers, S. De Pauw, W. Furlong, S. Weitzman, and D. Feeny, “Health-related quality of life in survivors of Wilms' tumor and advanced neuroblastoma: a cross-sectional study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 3280–3287, 2000.
- H. I. Brunner, D. Maker, B. Grundland et al., “Preference-based measurement of health-related quality of life (HRQL) in children with chronic musculoskeletal disorders (MSKDs),” Medical Decision Making, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 314–322, 2003.
- S. Van Schaik, R. D. Barr, S. Depauw, W. Furlong, and D. Feeny, “Assessment of health status and health-related quality of life in survivors of hodgkin's disease in childhood,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 32–38, 1999.
- M. De Civita, D. Regier, A. H. Alamgir, A. H. Anis, M. J. FitzGerald, and C. A. Marra, “Evaluating health-related quality-of-life studies in paediatric populations: some conceptual, methodological and developmental considerations and recent applications,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 659–685, 2005.
- E. F. Juniper, G. H. Guyatt, D. H. Feeny, L. E. Griffith, and P. J. Ferrie, “Minimum skills required by children to complete health-related quality of life instruments for asthma: comparison of measurement properties,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 2285–2294, 1997.
- B. Bailey, J. Gravel, and R. Daoust, “Reliability of the visual analog scale in children with acute pain in the emergency department,” Pain, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 839–842, 2012.
- S. Bringuier, C. Dadure, O. Raux, A. Dubois, M. Picot, and X. Capdevila, “The perioperative validity of the visual analog anxiety scale in children: a discriminant and useful instrument in routine clinical practice to optimize postoperative pain management,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 737–744, 2009.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, supplement 1, pp. S42–S47, 2007.
- F. R. Kaufman, K. Hirst, B. Linder et al., “Risk factors for type 2 diabetes in a sixth-grade multiracial cohort: the HEALTHY study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 953–955, 2009.
- J. Horsman, W. Furlong, D. Feeny, and G. Torrance, “The Health Utilities Index (HUI): concepts, measurement properties and applications,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 54, 2003.
- G. Samsa, D. Edelman, M. L. Rothman, G. R. Williams, J. Lipscomb, and D. Matchar, “Determining clinically important differences in health status measures: a general approach with illustration to the Health Utilities Index Mark II,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 141–155, 1999.
- P. Grootendorst, D. Feeny, and W. Furlong, “Health Utilities Index Mark 3: evidence of construct validity for stroke and arthritis in a population health survey,” Medical Care, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 290–299, 2000.
- M. Drummond, “Introducing economic and quality of life measurements into clinical studies,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 344–349, 2001.
- M. B. Belfort, J. A. F. Zupancic, K. M. Riera, J. H. G. Turner, and L. A. Prosser, “Health state preferences associated with weight status in children and adolescents,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 11, article 12, 2011.
- M. D. Tsiros, T. Olds, J. D. Buckley et al., “Health-related quality of life in obese children and adolescents,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 387–400, 2009.
- Q. He and J. Karlberg, “BMI in childhood and its association with height gain, timing of puberty, and final height,” Pediatric Research, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 244–251, 2001.
- A. A. Mamun, M. R. Hayatbakhsh, M. O'Callaghan, G. Williams, and J. Najman, “Early overweight and pubertal maturation—pathways of association with young adults' overweight: a longitudinal study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 14–20, 2009.
- K. K. Davison, E. J. Susman, and L. L. Birch, “Percent body fat at age 5 predicts earlier pubertal development among girls at age 9,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 815–821, 2003.
- U.S. Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics, “Percent of public school students enrolled in grades K-12 who were minorities, by race/ethnicity: 1972–2000,” February 2012, http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2003/hispanics/figures.asp?PopUp=true&FigureNumber=2_3a.