- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 269038, 9 pages
Obesity Index That Better Predict Metabolic Syndrome: Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference, Waist Hip Ratio, or Waist Height Ratio
1Department of Medical Statistics & Epidemiology, Hamad Medical Corporation, P.O. Box 3050, Doha, Qatar
2Department of Public Health, Weill Cornell Medical College, P.O. Box 3050, Doha, Qatar
3Department Evidence for Population Health Unit, School of Epidemiology and Health Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
4Department of Endocrinology, Hamad General Hospital, Hamad Medical Corporation, P.O. Box 3050, Doha, Qatar
5Qatar Diabetic Association and Qatar Foundation, P.O. Box 752, Doha, Qatar
6Qatar Foundation Research Division, P.O. Box 5825, Doha, Qatar
7Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Received 15 March 2013; Revised 16 July 2013; Accepted 16 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jordi Salas-Salvadó
Copyright © 2013 Abdulbari Bener et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [29 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Eunsu Jang, Younghwa Baek, Kihyun Park, and Siwoo Lee, “Can anthropometric risk factors important in Sasang constitution be used to detect metabolic syndrome?,” European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2013.
- Fahimeh Ramezani Tehrani, Sonia Minooee, and Fereidoun Azizi, “Comparison of various adiposity indexes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome and normo-ovulatory non-hirsute women: a population-based study,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 199–207, 2014.
- Parvin Mirmiran, Zahra Bahadoran, Hossein Delshad, and Fereidoun Azizi, “Reply to “Predictors of the incidence of metabolic syndrome in general inhabitant”,” Nutrition, 2014.
- Yasemin Cayir, Secil Menekse Aslan, and Zekeriya Akturk, “The effect of pedometer use on physical activity and body weight in obese women,” European Journal of Sport Science, pp. 1–6, 2014.
- Hou Xin Guo, Wang Chuan, Ma Ze Qiang, Yang Wei Fang, Wang Ji Xiang, Li Cheng Qiao, Wang Yu Lian, Liu Shu Min, Hu Xiu Ping, Zhang Xiu Ping, Jiang Mei, Wang Wei Qing, Ning Guang, Zheng Hui Zhen, Ma Ai Xia, Sun Yu, Song Jun, Lin Peng, Liang Kai, Liu Fu Qiang, Li Wen Juan, Xiao Juan, Gong Lei, Wang Mei Jian, Liu Ji Dong, Yan Fei, Yang Jun Peng, Wang Ling Shu, Tian Meng, Zhao Ru Xing, Jiang Ling, and Chen Li, “Optimal Waist Circumference Cut-off values for Identifying Metabolic Risk Factors in Middle-aged and Elderly Subjects in Shandong Province of China,” Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 353–359, 2014.
- Barbara E. K. Klein, Kristine E. Lee, and Ronald Klein, “Measures of Body Shape and Adiposity as Related to Incidence of Age-Related Eye Diseases: Observations From the Beaver Dam Eye Study,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 2592–2598, 2014.
- Aldo Ferreira-Hermosillo, Claudia Ramirez-Renteria, Victoria Mendoza-Zubieta, and Mario A. Molina-Ayala, “Utility of the waist-to-height ratio, waist circumference and body mass index in the screening of metabolic syndrome in adult patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 6, 2014.
- Janine Wirth, Brian Buijsse, Romina di Giuseppe, Andreas Fritsche, Hans W. Hense, Sabine Westphal, Berend Isermann, Heiner Boeing, and Cornelia Weikert, “Relationship between N-Terminal Pro-Brain Natriuretic Peptide, Obesity and the Risk of Heart Failure in Middle-Aged German Adults,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 11, 2014.
- Kang Huang, Xiu-ci Liang, Ying-li Zhong, Wan-yan He, and Zheng Wang, “5-Caffeoylquinic acid decreases diet-induced obesity in rats by modulating PPARα and LXRα transcription,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 2014.
- Bernard Kianu Phanzu, Benjamin Longo-Mbenza, Jean Bosco Kasiam Lasion’kin, Jody Mbuilu Pukuta, Eleuthère Kintoki Vita, and Nanoue Masolo Muze Kianu, “What Are the Determinants of Insulin Resistance (IR) and How Effective Is the Sub-Saharan Africa-Specific Threshold of Abdominal Obesity (AO-SSA) Identifying IR in Congolese Black Hypertensive Patients?,” World Journal of Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 04, no. 13, pp. 642–654, 2014.
- Myung-Sook Choi, Ri Ryu, Yu Ri Seo, Tae-Sook Jeong, Dong-Ha Shin, Yong Bok Park, Sang Ryong Kim, and Un Ju Jung, “The beneficial effect of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.) leaf extracts in adults with prediabetes: a randomized placebo controlled trial,” Food & Function, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1621, 2014.
- Ricardo Antonio Agredo-Zuniga, Cecilia Aguilar-de Plata, and Milton Fabian Suarez-Ortegon, “Waist:height ratio, waist circumference and metabolic syndrome abnormalities in Colombian schooled adolescents: a multivariate analysis considering lo,” British Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 700–705, 2015.
- Naim Alkhouri, Katharien Eng, Rocio Lopez, and Valerio Nobili, “Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (non-HDL-C) levels in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD),” Springerplus, vol. 3, 2015.
- N. Motamed, S. Razmjou, G. Hemmasi, M. Maadi, and F. Zamani, “Lipid accumulation product and metabolic syndrome: a population-based study in northern Iran, Amol,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, 2015.
- Fernando Mendonça, and Raquel Soares, “Obesity and cancer phenotype: Is angiogenesis a missed link?,” Life Sciences, 2015.
- Ziad A. Memish, Jennifer L. Chang, Mohammad Y. Saeedi, Mohammad A. Al Hamid, Omer Abid, and Mohammed K. Ali, “Screening for Type 2 Diabetes and Dysglycemia in Saudi Arabia: Development and Validation of Risk Scores,” Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, pp. 150708121548004, 2015.
- Xin Guan, Guozhe Sun, Liqiang Zheng, Wenyu Hu, Wenna Li, and Yingxian Sun, “Associations between metabolic risk factors and body mass index, waist circumference, waist-to-height ratio and waist-to-hip ratio in a Chinese rural population,” Journal of Diabetes Investigation, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 601–606, 2015.
- J. Dong, Y.-Q. Ni, X. Chu, Y.-Q. Liu, G.-X. Liu, J. Zhao, Y.-B. Yang, and Y.-X. Yan, “Association between the abdominal obesity anthropometric indicators and metabolic disorders in a Chinese population,” Public Health, 2015.
- Ha Thi Ngo, Ragna Bogen Hetland, and Inger-Lise Steffensen, “ The Intrauterine and Nursing Period Is a Window of Susceptibility for Development of Obesity and Intestinal Tumorigenesis by a High Fat Diet in Min/+ Mice as Adults ,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–25, 2015.
- Raimi Taiwo Hussean, Fasanmade Olufemi, Odusan Olatunde, and Ohwovoriole Augustine Efedaye, “The Best Central Adiposity Index in the Prediction of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in South-Western Nigeria,” Open Journal of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, vol. 05, no. 12, pp. 184–192, 2015.
- Jeong-ah Kim, Sung-Goo Kang, Sang-Wook Song, Bora Shin, and Yeon-kyung Choi, “Waist Circumference-to-Height Ratio and Coronary Artery Calcification,” The Korean Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 131–137, 2016.
- R Icick, S Gard, M Barde, M Carminati, A Desage, S Guillaume, J Scott, and F Bellivier, “Physical and Mental Health Burden in cases of Bipolar Disorder classified as Current, Former, or Non-Tobacco Smokers,” Journal of Affective Disorders, 2016.
- Nima Motamed, Masoudreza Sohrabi, Hossein Poustchi, Mansooreh Maadi, Mojtaba Malek, Hossein Keyvani, Mahboobeh Safaean Amoli, and Farhad Zamani, “The six obesity indices, which one is more compatible with metabolic syndrome? A population based study,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, 2016.
- Mingxia Yuan, Fang-Chi Hsu, Donald W. Bowden, Jianzhao Xu, S. Carrie Smith, Lynne E. Wagenknecht, Mary E. Comeau, Jasmin Divers, Thomas C. Register, J. Jeffrey Carr, Carl D. Langefeld, and Barry I. Freedman, “Relationships between measures of adiposity with subclinical atherosclerosis in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Obesity, 2016.
- Masoumeh Akhlaghi, “Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Beneficial Effects of Flavonoids,” Phytotherapy Research, 2016.
- Abdulbari Bener, Abdulla O.A.A. Al-Hamaq, Eda Merve Kurtulus, Waleed K. Abdullatef, and Mahmoud Zirie, “The role of vitamin D, obesity and physical exercise in regulation of glycemia in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus patients,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, 2016.
- Nada Dehneh, Mazen Rajab, Wafika Zarzour, and Muhidien Jouma, “Profile of healthy female students in Syria: Investigation on anthropometric, lifestyle, and dietary characteristics, along with hematological and plasma biochemical parameters,” Cogent Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, 2016.
- Carole A. Paley, and Mark I. Johnson, “Physical Activity to Reduce Systemic Inflammation Associated With Chronic Pain and Obesity,” The Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 365–370, 2016.
- Abraham Wall-Medrano, Arnulfo Ramos-Jiménez, Rosa P. Hernandez-Torres, Rafael Villalobos-Molina, Diana C. Tapia-Pancardo, J. Rafael Jiménez-Flores, A. René Méndez-Cruz, Miguel Murguía-Romero, Itzell A. Gallardo-Ortíz, and René Urquídez-Romero, “Cardiometabolic risk in young adults from northern Mexico: Revisiting body mass index and waist-circumference as predictors,” BMC Public Health, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016.