- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 952916, 9 pages
The Role of Adipose Tissue in Insulin Resistance in Women of African Ancestry
1UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, South African Medical Research Council, Parow, Cape Town 7505, South Africa
2UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, Department of Human Biology, Health Sciences Faculty, University of Cape Town, Cape Town 7725, South Africa
3Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town 8001, South Africa
4Health Impact Assessment, Western Cape Department of Health, Cape Town 8001, South Africa
Received 9 November 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editor: Manisha S. Chandalia
Copyright © 2013 Julia H. Goedecke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [8 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Yael T. Joffe, Malcolm Collins, and Julia H. Goedecke, “The Relationship between Dietary Fatty Acids and Inflammatory Genes on the Obese Phenotype and Serum Lipids,” Nutrients, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1672–1705, 2013.
- Gary J Hausman, Urmila Basu, Min Du, Melinda Fernyhough-Culver, and Michael V Dodson, “Intermuscular and intramuscular adipose tissues: Bad vs. good adipose tissues,” Adipocyte, vol. 3, no. 3, 2014.
- Karlijn A.C. Meeks, Karien Stronks, Erik J.A.J. Beune, Adebowale Adeyemo, Peter Henneman, Marcel M.A.M. Mannens, Mary Nicolaou, Ron J.G. Peters, Charles N. Rotimi, Marieke B. Snijder, and Charles Agyemang, “Prevalence of type 2 diabetes and its association with measures of body composition among African residents in the Netherlands–The HELIUS study,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 2015.
- Elisa V. Bandera, Urmila Chandran, Chi-Chen Hong, Melissa A. Troester, Traci N. Bethea, Lucile L. Adams-Campbell, Christopher A. Haiman, Song-Yi Park, Andrew F. Olshan, Christine B. Ambrosone, Julie R. Palmer, and Lynn Rosenberg, “Obesity, body fat distribution, and risk of breast cancer subtypes in African American women participating in the AMBER Consortium,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2015.
- Elisa V. Bandera, Gertraud Maskarinec, Isabelle Romieu, and Esther M. John, “Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Impact of Obesity on Breast Cancer Risk and Survival: A Global Perspective,” Advances In Nutrition, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 803–819, 2015.
- Cindy George, Julia H. Goedecke, Nigel J. Crowther, Nicole G. Jaff, Andre P. Kengne, Shane A. Norris, and Lisa K. Micklesfield, “The Role of Body Fat and Fat Distribution in Hypertension Risk in Urban Black South African Women,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 5, 2016.
- Elisa V. Bandera, Bo Qin, Patricia G. Moorman, Anthony J. Alberg, Jill S. Barnholtz-Sloan, Melissa Bondy, Michele L. Cote, Ellen Funkhouser, Edward S. Peters, Ann G. Schwartz, Paul Terry, and Joellen M. Schildkraut, “Obesity, weight gain, and ovarian cancer risk in African American women,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 593–600, 2016.
- Julia H. Goedecke, Cindy George, Katherine Veras, Nasheeta Peer, Carl Lombard, Hendriena Victor, Krisela Steyn, and Naomi S. Levitt, “Sex Differences in Insulin Sensitivity and Insulin Response With Increasing Age in Black South African Men and Women,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 2016.