- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 106384, 9 pages
Effect of Trandolapril on Regression of Retinopathy in Hypertensive Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Prespecified Analysis of the Benedict Trial
1Clinical Research Center for Rare Diseases ‘Aldo & Cele Daccò’, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Negri Bergamo Laboratories, Via Gavazzeni, 11, 24125 Bergamo, Italy
2Unità di Nefrologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, 24128 Bergamo, Italy
3Unità di Oftalmologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, 24128 Bergamo, Italy
4Unità di Diabetologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, 24128 Bergamo, Italy
5Unità di Diabetologia, Treviglio Hospital, 24047 Bergamo, Italy
Received 19 November 2009; Revised 21 January 2010; Accepted 11 March 2010
Academic Editor: Renu A. Kowluru
Copyright © 2010 Piero Ruggenenti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Keen, E. T. Lee, D. Russell, E. Miki, P. H. Bennett, and M. Lu, “The appearance of retinopathy and progression to proliferative retinopathy: the WHO Multinational Study of Vascular Disease in Diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, supplement 2, pp. S22–S30, 2001.
- I. M. Stratton, E. M. Kohner, S. J. Aldington, et al., “UKPDS 50: risk factors for incidence and progression of retinopathy in type II diabetes over 6 years from diagnosis,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 156–163, 2001.
- P. Ruggenenti, A. Fassi, A. P. Ilieva, et al., “Preventing microalbuminuria in type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 19, pp. 1941–1951, 2004.
- E. M. Kohner and M. Porta, Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy in Europe: A Field Guide-Book, WHO, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1992.
- A. Parvanova, I. Iliev, M. Filipponi, et al., “Insulin resistance and proliferative retinopathy: a cross-sectional, case-control study in 115 patients with type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 4371–4376, 2004.
- L. P. Aiello, T. W. Gardner, G. L. King, et al., “Diabetic retinopathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 143–156, 1998.
- A. K. Sjølie, R. Klein, M. Porta, et al., “Effect of candesartan on progression and regression of retinopathy in type 2 diabetes (DIRECT-Protect 2): a randomised placebo-controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9647, pp. 1385–1393, 2008.
- R. Satcher, C. F. Dewey Jr., and J. H. Hartwig, “Mechanical remodeling of the endothelial surface and actin cytoskeleton induced by fluid flow,” Microcirculation, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 439–453, 1997.
- S. M. Brown and L. M. Jampol, “New concepts of regulation of retinal vessel tone,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 1996.
- A. A. Dosso, E. Rungger-Brändle, and P. M. Leuenberger, “Ultrastructural alterations in capillaries of the diabetic hypertensive rat retina: protective effects of ACE inhibition,” Diabetologia, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 1196–1201, 2004.
- R. Singh, N. Alavi, A. K. Singh, and D. J. Leehey, “Role of angiotensin II in glucose-induced inhibition of mesangial matrix degradation,” Diabetes, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 2066–2073, 1999.
- B. V. Bui, J. A. Armitage, M. Tolcos, M. E. Cooper, and A. J. Vingrys, “ACE inhibition salvages the visual loss caused by diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 401–408, 2003.
- R. Newsom, B. Moate, and T. Casswell, “Screening for diabetic retinopathy using digital colour photography and oral fluorescein angiography,” Eye, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 579–582, 2000.
- M. Porta, A.-K. Sjoelie, N. Chaturvedi, et al., “Risk factors for progression to proliferative diabetic retinopathy in the EURODIAB prospective complications study,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2203–2209, 2001.
- R. C. Temple, V. A. Aldridge, M. J. Sampson, R. H. Greenwood, P. J. Heyburn, and A. Glenn, “Impact of pregnancy on the progression of diabetic retinopathy in type 1 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 573–577, 2001.
- A. Patel, S. MacMahon, J. Chalmers, et al., “Effects of a fixed combination of perindopril and indapamide on macrovascular and microvascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (the ADVANCE trial): a randomised controlled trial,” Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9590, pp. 829–840, 2007.
- “Grading diabetic retinopathy from stereoscopic color fundus photographs–an extension of the modified Airlie House classification. ETDRS report number 10. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group,” Ophthalmology, vol. 98, pp. 786–806, 1991.
- A. Juutilainen, S. Lehto, T. Rönnemaa, K. Pyörälä, and M. Laakso, “Retinopathy predicts cardiovascular mortality in type 2 diabetic men and women,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 292–299, 2007.
- P. Zimmet, K. G. Alberti, and J. Shaw, “Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemic,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6865, pp. 782–787, 2001.