Retraction | Open Access
Journal of Petroleum Engineering, "Retracted: Corrosion Inhibition of Tubing Steel during Acidization of Oil and Gas Wells", Journal of Petroleum Engineering, vol. 2019, Article ID 4636127, 1 page, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/4636127
Retracted: Corrosion Inhibition of Tubing Steel during Acidization of Oil and Gas Wells
Journal of Petroleum Engineering has retracted the article titled “Corrosion Inhibition of Tubing Steel during Acidization of Oil and Gas Wells” . The article was found to contain images reused in several other articles published by Mahendra Yadav and colleagues. The details of the reuse of images are as follows:
Figure 2 is similar to Figure 3 in , with a different figure key.
Figure 7 is similar to Figure 1A in , with a different figure key.
Figure 4 is similar to Figure 4 in , with a different figure key.
Figure 11(a) is similar to Figure 14a in , Figure 5a in , Figure 11a in , and Figure 9a in . Figure 11(b) is similar to Figure 14b in , Figure 17b in , Figure 5b in , and Figure 9b in . Figure 11(c) is similar to Figure 14c in , Figure 17c in , and Figure 9c in . Figure 11(d) is similar to Figure 14d in  and Figure 17d in . In particular, Figure 11 in  shares the same image of a sample in HCl as Figure 9 in  and the same image in the presence of an inhibitor, but these represent different inhibitors in each article, BAL and AMPT, respectively.
We asked the authors to provide the underlying uncropped and unadjusted scanning electron microscopy (SEM) images, the raw data, and details of how the experiments were conducted.
The corresponding author, Dr. Yadav, said the SEM work was outsourced but did not give details on where, when, or by whom this work was performed. The equipment is not described in this article. However, it is described as a “JEOL JSM-6380 LA analytical scanning electron microscope” in , and in  it is described as a “Scanning Electron Microscope model SEM Jeol JSM-5800.” These are not the same models of microscope, despite these articles sharing some of the same SEM images.
Dr. Yadav provided us with replacement figures. However, they were identical to two of the articles,  and , despite representing experiments with the inhibitors AMPT and ODAEODI, respectively. We were not told how these images were generated, the images were of low resolution, and the text in the images was illegible.
The corresponding author agreed to retraction and we have asked the institution to formally investigate.
- M. Yadav, Sumit Kumar, and P. N. Yadav, “Corrosion inhibition of tubing steel during acidization of oil and gas wells,” Journal of Petroleum Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 354630, 9 pages, 2013.
- M. Yadav, U. Sharma, and P. Yadav, “Corrosion inhibitive properties of some new isatin derivatives on corrosion of N80 steel in 15% HCl,” International Journal of Industrial Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 6, 2013.
- M. Yadav, U. Sharma, and P. N. Yadav, “Isatin compounds as corrosion inhibitors for N80 steel in 15% HCl,” Egyptian Journal of Petroleum, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 335–344, 2013.
- M. Yadav, P. N. Yadav, and U. Sharma, “Substituted imidazoles as corrosion inhibitors for N80 steel in hydrochloric acid,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 363–370, 2013.
- M. Yadav, S. Kumar, U. Sharma, and P. N. Yadav, “Substituted amines as corrosion inhibitors for N80 steel in 15%HCL,” Journal of Materials and Environmental Science, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 691–700, 2013.
- M. Yadav, Sumit Kumar, and P. N. Yadav, “Development of ecofriendly corrosion inhibitors for application in acidization of petroleum oil well,” Journal of Chemistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 618684, 9 pages, 2013.
- M. Yadav, Sumit Kumar, and Debasis Behera, “Inhibition effect of substituted thiadiazoles on corrosion activity of N80 Steel in HCl solution,” Journal of Metallurgy, vol. 2013, Article ID 256403, 14 pages, 2013.
Copyright © 2019 Journal of Petroleum Engineering. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.