Intelligent Sensor Arrays
1Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
2Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral, Guayaquil, Ecuador
3Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus-Senftenberg, Senftenberg, Germany
Intelligent Sensor Arrays
The use of sensor arrays has grown in relevance in applications related to smart cities, environmental monitoring, medical diagnostics, and personal healthcare, along with many others. Heterogeneous sensor arrays capable of measuring multisensory information in low-power hardware platforms have the potential to not only improve existing solutions but also to create new applications.
On the other hand, the rapid adoption of recent Artificial Intelligence (AI) advances for the data analysis of sensory information has brought intelligence to the sensor. As Machine Learning (ML) techniques related to sensing technologies advance, many open challenges remain in the development of power-efficient and performance systems in terms of sensitivity, selectivity, power, reliability, etc. Because these challenges impact many fields of research, they demand new approaches in the areas of multisensory signal processing, embedded AI, or multisensory data fusion.
This Special Issue aims at collecting high-quality research papers and review articles focusing on a broad range of topics related to sensor arrays combined with intelligent algorithms. The introduction and development of new advanced theoretical and practical algorithms, techniques, architectures, prototypes, applications, and evaluations of physical sensor arrays, heterogeneous arrays, and chemical sensor arrays are within the scope of this Special Issue. In addition, original research and novel contributions in applications using sensor arrays for health monitoring, non-invasive diagnosis, acoustic and ultrasound signal processing, beamforming techniques, SAR technology, image processing, wireless sensor networks, and the internet of things, among others, are welcome. Therefore, we invite applicants to look over the recent advances in sensor arrays and call for innovative works that explore frontiers and challenges in the field.
Potential topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Algorithms for sensor arrays
- Data fusion and synchronization techniques
- Heterogeneous sensor arrays
- Chemical sensor arrays
- Data science and analytics for sensor fusion
- Distributed and integrated sensor arrays
- Near-sensor or edge intelligence
- AI techniques exploiting multi-sensorial data
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques for sensor arrays
- Sensor anomaly detection
- Embedded solutions for multichannel data acquisition systems
- Reconfigurable architectures for sensor arrays
- Embedded and low-power architectures and algorithms for sensor arrays
- Sensor array networks and IoT
- Novel applications of sensor arrays to important domains such as automotive, biomedical, industry 4.0, agriculture, transportation, etc.