Research Article | Open Access
Seema Gupta, S. P. Singh, Vipra Pandey, S. C. Goyal, "Temperature Dependence of Elastic Constants of Alkaline Earth Oxides", SRX Materials Science, vol. 2010, Article ID 890650, 8 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/890650
Temperature Dependence of Elastic Constants of Alkaline Earth Oxides
The elastic properties of alkaline earth oxides (AEOs) under high temperature are discussed within the framework of many body Lundqvist potential incorporating the contribution of thermal phonon pressure. The short-range repulsive interaction is taken up to the second nearest neighbors. The derived expressions are used to compute the values of second-order elastic constants (SOECs) and bulk modulus of alkaline earth oxides at different temperatures (300–2000). The results are found to be satisfactory and are in agreement with available experimental and the theoretical results.
- D. C. Wallace, in Solid State Physics, H. Ehrenreich, F. Seitz, and D. Turnbull, Eds., vol. 25, pp. 302–404, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1970.
- U. C. Shrivastava, “Temperature dependence of the elastic constants of alkali halides,” Physical Review B, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 2602–2606, 1980.
- U. C. Shrivastava, “Theory of the anomalous temperature dependence of in NaCl-like structure solids direct observation of phonon—lattice interactions,” Physica Status Solidi B, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 641–649, 1980.
- R. K. Varshney and J. Shanker, “Temperature dependences of third-order elastic constants of CsCl, CsBr, and CsI crsystals,” Physica Status Solidi B, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 77–82, 1984.
- M. Singh, P. P. Singh, M. Kumar, and B. R. K. Gupta, Indian Journal of Physics, vol. 74A, no. 6, pp. 613–616, 2000.
- M. Kumar, “Application of high pressure-high temperature equation of state for elastic properties of solids,” Physica B, vol. 311, no. 3-4, pp. 340–347, 2002.
- P. P. Singh and M. Kumar, “Temperature dependence of bulk modulus and second-order elastic constants,” Physica B, vol. 344, no. 1–4, pp. 41–51, 2004.
- I. Suszki, S. Okajima, and K. Seya, “Thermal expansion of single-crystal manganosite,” Journal of Physics of the Earth, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 1979.
- O. L. Anderson and D. G. Isaak, Mineral Physics and Crystallography: A Hand Book of Physical Constants, vol. 2, American Geophysical Union, UCLA Press, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1995.
- P. R. Son and R. A. Bartels, “CaO and SrO single crystal elastic constants and their pressure derivatives,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 819–828, 1972.
- H. Baltache, R. Khenata, M. Sahnoun, M. Driz, B. Abbar, and B. Bouhafs, “Full potential calculation of structural, electronic and elastic properties of alkaline earth oxides MgO, CaO and SrO,” Physica B, vol. 344, no. 1–4, pp. 334–342, 2004.
- M. P. Tosi, “Cohesion of ionic solids in the born model,” Solid State Physics, vol. 16, pp. 1–120, 1964.
- S. O. Lundqvist, Arkiv för Fysik, vol. 6, pp. 25–44, 1952.
- S. O. Lundqvist, “On the limiting vibrational frequencies of a cubic ionic lattice,” Arkiv för Fysik, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 435–456, 1955.
- S. O. Lundqvist, “On the lattice vibrations in cubic ionic crystals,” Arkiv för Fysik, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 263–275, 1957.
- S. Gupta and S. C. Goyal, “Pressure derivatives of isothermal bulk modulus of rare gas solids,” Solid State Communications, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 297–300, 2003.
- S. Gupta and S. C. Goyal, “Effect of temperature on elastic properties of rare gas solids,” Physica B, vol. 352, no. 1–4, pp. 24–35, 2004.
- W. H. Flygare and D. W. Hafemeister, “Calculation and interpretation of the129i isomer shifts in the alkali iodide lattices,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 789–794, 1965.
- L. Pauling and Z. Krist, “The sizes of ions and their influence on the properties of salt-like compounds,” Zeitschrift für Kristallographie, vol. 67, pp. 377–404, 1928.
- S. P. Singh, S. Gupta, and S. C. Goyal, “Elastic properties of alkaline earth oxides under high pressure,” Physica B, vol. 391, no. 2, pp. 307–311, 2007.
Copyright © 2010 Seema Gupta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.