K. Rajagopal, P. H. Veena, V. K. Pravin, "Oscillatory motion of an electrically conducting viscoelastic fluid over a stretching sheet in a saturated porous medium with suction/blowing", Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2006, Article ID 060560, 14 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/MPE/2006/60560
Oscillatory motion of an electrically conducting viscoelastic fluid over a stretching sheet in a saturated porous medium with suction/blowing
The effect of an oscillatory motion of a viscoelastic fluid over an infinite stretching sheet through porous media in the presence of magnetic field with applied suction has been studied. The surface absorbs the fluid in a porous medium in the presence of magnetic field and the velocity oscillates depending on the stretching rate . Analytical expressions for the velocity and the coefficient of skin friction have been studied, first by the perturbation method and then by power series method. The effect of viscoelastic parameter , porous parameter , magnetic parameter Mn, and the vertical distance in the presence of suction/blowing on the velocity and the flow characteristics are discussed. The velocity of the viscoelastic fluid is found to decrease in the presence of magnetic field and porous media, as compared to the study of viscous fluid. It is also found that the effect of unsteadiness in the wall velocity and skin friction are found to be appreciable in the presence of suction/blowing parameter.
- R. Bandelli, K. R. Rajagopal, and G. P. Galdi, “On some unsteady motions of fluids of second grade,” (Archiwum Mechaniki Stosowanej), vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 661–676, 1995.
- L. J. Crane, “Flow past a stretching plate,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik, vol. 21, pp. 645–647, 1970.
- C. D. S. Devi and G. Nath, “Similarity solutions of the unsteady boundary layer equations for a moving wall,” Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 17, pp. 1405–1411, 1986.
- J. E. Dunn and K. R. Rajagopal, “Fluids of differential type: critical review and thermodynamic analysis,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 689–729, 1995.
- M. E. Erdogan, “On unsteady motions of a second order fluid over a plane wall,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1045–1051, 2003.
- R. L. Fosdick and K. R. Rajagopal, “Uniqueness and drag for fluids of second grade in steady motion,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 131–137, 1978.
- P. S. Gupta and A. S. Gupta, “Heat and mass transfer on a stretching sheet with suction or blowing,” The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 55, pp. 744–746, 1977.
- D. M. Jones and K. Walters, “The behaviour of polymer solutions in extension dominated flows, with applications to enhanced oil recovery,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 482–498, 1989.
- P. S. Lawrence and B. N. Rao, “The non-uniqueness of MHD flow of a visco-elastic fluid past a stretching sheet,” Acta Mechanica Sinica, vol. 112, 1985, 223.
- M. J. Lighthill, “The response of laminar skin friction and heat transfer to fluctuations in the stream velocity,” Proceedings of the Royal Society. London. Series A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol. 224, pp. 1–23, 1954.
- H. Pascal and F. Pascal, “On visco-elastic effects in non-Newtonian steady flows through porous media,” Transport in Porous Media, vol. A, pp. 17–35, 1989.
- S. Pilitisis and A Beirs, “Calculations of steady state visco-elastic flow in an undulating tube,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 31, pp. 231–287, 1989.
- K. R. Rajagopal, “A note on unsteady unidirectional flows of a non-Newtonian fluid,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 5-6, pp. 369–373, 1982.
- K. R. Rajagopal, “Flow of visco-elastic fluids between rotating disks,” Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 3, pp. 185–206, 1992.
- K. R. Rajagopal, “On boundary conditions for fluids of the differential type,” in Navier-Stokes Equations and Related Nonlinear Problems (Funchal, 1994) , A. Sequeira, Ed., pp. 273–278, Plenum, New York, 1995.
- K. R. Rajagopal and A. S. Gupta, “An exact solution for the flow of a non-Newtonian fluid past an infinite porous plate ,” Meccanica. Journal of the Italian Association of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 158–160, 1984.
- K. R. Rajagopal and P. N. Kaloni, “Some remarks on boundary conditions for flows of fluids of the differential type,” in Continuum Mechanics and Its Applications (Burnaby, BC, 1988), G. A. C. Gram and S. K. Malik, Eds., pp. 935–942, Hemisphere, New York, 1989.
- K. R. Rajagopal, T. Y. Na, and A. S. Gupta, “Flow of a visco-elastic fluid over a stretching sheet,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 23, pp. 213–215, 1984.
- N. Rudraiah, P. N. Kaloni, and P. V. Radhadevi, “Oscillatory convection in a visco-elastic fluid through a porous layer heated from below,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 1989.
- B. C. Sakiadis, “Boundary layer behaviour on continuous solid surfaces I. Boundary-layer equations for two-dimensional and axisymmetric flow,” AIChE Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 26–28, 1961.
- T. Sarpkaya, “Flow of non-Newtonian fluids in a magnetic field,” AIChE Journal, vol. 7, pp. 324–328, 1961.
- B. Siddappa and S. Abel, “Non-Newtonian flow past a stretching sheet,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik, vol. 36, pp. 890–892, 1985.
- B. Siddappa, A. Subhas, and P. H. Veena, “Oscillatory motion of a visco-elastic fluid past a stretching sheet,” Il Nuovo Cimento, vol. 17D, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 1995.
- J. T. Stuart, “A solution of the Navier-Stokes and energy equations illustrating the response of skin friction and temperature of an infinite plate thermometer to fluctations in the stream velocity,” Proceedings of the Royal Society. London. Series A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol. 231, pp. 116–130, 1955.
- A. Subhas and P. H. Veena, “Visco-elastic fluid flow and heat transfer in a porous medium over a stretching sheet ,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 531–540, 1998.
- T. W. Ting, “Certain non-steady flows of second-order fluids,” Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, vol. 14, pp. 1–26, 1963.
- F. K. Tsou, E. M. sparrow, and R. J. Goldstein, “Flow and heat transfer in the boundary layer on a continuous moving surface,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 10, pp. 219–235, 1967.
- K. Vafai and S. Kim, “Fluid mechanics of the interface region between a porous medium and a fluid layer: an exact solution,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 11, pp. 254–256, 1990.
- C. Y. Wang, “Non-linear streaming due to the oscillatory stretching of a sheet in a viscous fluid,” Acta Mechanica Sinica, vol. 72, pp. 261–268, 1988.
Copyright © 2006 K. Rajagopal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.