Luis Fernando Mello, Antonio Carlos Zambroni de Souza, Gerson Hiroshi Yoshinari, Camila Vasconcelos Schneider, "Voltage collapse in power systems: Dynamical studies from a static formulation", Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2006, Article ID 091367, 11 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/MPE/2006/91367
Voltage collapse in power systems: Dynamical studies from a static formulation
This paper addresses the problem of voltage collapse in power systems. More precisely, we exhibit a voltage collapse in a power system with two buses. This study is carried out with the help of two approaches. The first is a dynamical approach where a saddle-node bifurcation is analyzed and the second is an algebraic approach. Both approaches deal with the static behavior of the power system, but some dynamic aspects may be observed. An equivalence between the algebraic and dynamical approaches is obtained. The need to use both models comes from the fact that they are usually exploited in the literature, but a deep theoretical justification is still pending. Such a justification is meant in this work.
- V. Ajjarapu and C. Christy, “The continuation power flow: a tool for steady state voltage stability analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 416–423, 1992.
- C. A. Cañizares, A. C. Zambroni de Souza, and V. H. Quintana, “Comparison of performance indices for detection of proximity to voltage collapse,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 1441–1450, 1996.
- I. Dobson, “Observations on the geometry of saddle node bifurcation and voltage collapse in electrical power systems,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and SystemsPart I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 240–243, 1992.
- J. Guckenheimer and P. Holmes, Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems, and Bifurcations of Vector Fields, vol. 42 of Applied Mathematical Sciences, Springer, New York, 1983.
- P.-A. Löf, T. Smed, G. Andersson, and D. J. Hill, “Fast calculation of a voltage stability index,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 54–64, 1992.
- P. Marannino, P. Bresesti, M. Delfanti, G. P. Granelli, and M. Montagna, “Voltage collapse proximity indicators for very short term security assessment,” in Bulk Power System Voltage Phenomena III-Voltage Stability and Security, L. H. Fink, Ed., pp. 421–429, ECC, Davos, 1994.
- R. Seydel, From Equilibrium to Chaos. Practical Bifurcation and Stability Analysis, Elsevier, New York, 1988.
- A. C. Zambroni de Souza, “Discussion on some voltage collapse indices,” Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2000.
Copyright © 2006 Luis Fernando Mello et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.