- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 138581, 14 pages
Reducing Noises and Artifacts Simultaneously of Low-Dosed X-Ray Computed Tomography Using Bilateral Filter Weighted by Gaussian Filtered Sinogram
1School of Automation Engineering, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu 611731, China
2School of Computer Science, Sichuan Normal University, Chengdu 610101, China
3Institute of Medical Information and Technology, School of Biomedical Engineering, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Received 2 February 2012; Accepted 2 March 2012
Academic Editor: Ming Li
Copyright © 2012 Shaoxiang Hu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Brenner and E. J. Hall, “Computed tomography—an increasing source of radiation exposure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 22, pp. 2277–2284, 2007.
- J. Hansen and A. G. Jurik, “Survival and radiation risk in patients obtaining more than six CT examinations during one year,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 302–307, 2009.
- H. J. Brisse, J. Brenot, N. Pierrat et al., “The relevance of image quality indices for dose optimization in abdominal multi-detector row CT in children: experimental assessment with pediatric phantoms,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1871–1892, 2009.
- L. Yu, “Radiation dose reduction in computed tomography: techniques and future perspective,” Imaging in Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 65–84, 2009.
- J. Weidemann, G. Stamm, M. Galanski, and M. Keberle, “Comparison of the image quality of various fixed and dose modulated protocols for soft tissue neck CT on a GE Lightspeed scanner,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 473–477, 2009.
- W. Qi, J. Li, and X. Du, “Method for automatic tube current selection for obtaining a consistent image quality and dose optimization in a cardiac multidetector CT,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 568–574, 2009.
- A. Kuettner, B. Gehann, J. Spolnik et al., “Strategies for dose-optimized imaging in pediatric cardiac dual source CT,” Fortschr. Röntgenstr, vol. 181, no. 4, pp. 339–348, 2009.
- P. Kropil, R. S. Lanzman, C. Walther, et al., “Dose reduction and image quality in MDCT of the upper abdomen: potential of an adaptive post-processing filter,” Fortschr. Röntgenstr, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 284–253, 2009.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, M. A. Blake et al., “Detection and characterization of lesions on low-radiation-dose abdominal CT images postprocessed with noise reduction filters,” Radiology, vol. 232, no. 3, pp. 791–797, 2004.
- H. B. Lu, X. Li, L. H. Li, et al., “Adaptive noise reduction toward low-dose computed tomography,” in Proceedings of the Medical Imaging 2003: Physics of Medical Imaging, vol. 5030, parts 1 and 2, pp. 759–766, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2003.
- M. K. Kalra, C. Wittram, M. M. Maher et al., “Can noise reduction filters improve low-radiation-dose chest CT images? Pilot study,” Radiology, vol. 228, no. 1, pp. 257–264, 2003.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, D. V. Sahani et al., “Low-dose CT of the abdomen: evaluation of image improvement with use of noise reduction filters pilot study,” Radiology, vol. 228, no. 1, pp. 251–256, 2003.
- J. C. Giraldo, Z. S. Kelm, L. S. Guimaraes et al., “Comparative study of two image space noise reduction methods for computed tomography: bilateral filter and nonlocal means,” in Proceedings of the 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society: Engineering the Future of Biomedicine (EMBC '09), pp. 3529–3532, Minneapolis, Minn, USA, September 2009.
- A. Manduca, L. Yu, J. D. Trzasko et al., “Projection space denoising with bilateral filtering and CT noise modeling for dose reduction in CT,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 4911–4919, 2009.
- N. Mail, D. J. Moseley, J. H. Siewerdsen, and D. A. Jaffray, “The influence of bowtie filtration on cone-beam CT image quality,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 22–32, 2009.
- M. Kachelrie, O. Watzke, and W. A. Kalender, “Generalized multi-dimensional adaptive filtering for conventional and spiral single-slice, multi-slice, and cone-beam CT,” Medical Physics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 475–490, 2001.
- G. F. Rust, V. Aurich, and M. Reiser, “Noise/dose reduction and image improvements in screening virtual colonoscopy with tube currents of 20 mAs with nonlinear Gaussian filter chains,” in Medical Imaging 2002: Physiology and Function from Multidimensional Images, vol. 4683 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 186–197, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2002.
- Z. Liao, S. Hu, and W. Chen, “Determining neighborhoods of image pixels automatically for adaptive image denoising using nonlinear time series analysis,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 914564, 14 pages, 2010.
- H. Lu, I. T. Hsiao, X. Li, and Z. G. Liang, “Noise properties of low-dose CT projections and noise treatment by scale transformations,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, vol. 1–4, pp. 1662–1666, November 2001.
- J. Xu and B. M. W. Tsui, “Electronic noise modeling in statistical iterative reconstruction,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1228–1238, 2009.
- I. A. Elbakri and J. A. Fessler, “Statistical image reconstruction for polyenergetic X-ray computed tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 89–99, 2002.
- P. J. la Rivire and D. M. Billmire, “Reduction of noise-induced streak artifacts in X-ray computed tomography through spline-based penalized-likelihood sinogram smoothing,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 105–111, 2005.
- P. J. la Rivire, “Penalized-likelihood sinogram smoothing for low-dose CT,” Medical Physics, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1676–1683, 2005.
- J. Wang, H. Lu, J. Wen, and Z. G. Liang, “Multiscale penalized weighted least-squares sinogram restoration for low-dose X-ray computed tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 1022–1031, 2008.
- P. Forthmann, T. Kohler, P. G. Begemann, and M. Defrise, “Penalized maximum-likelihood sinogram restoration for dual focal spot computed tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 52, no. 15, pp. 4513–4523, 2007.
- J. Wang, T. Li, H. Lu, and Z. G. Liang, “Penalized weighted least-squares approach to sinogram noise reduction and image reconstruction for low-dose X-ray computed tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1272–1283, 2006.
- Z. Liao, S. Hu, M. Li, and W. Chen, “Noise estimation for single-slice sinogram of low-dose X-ray computed tomography using homogenous patch,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 696212, 16 pages, 2012.
- H. B. Lu, X. Li, I. T. Hsiao, and Z. G. Liang, “Analytical noise treatment for low-dose CT projection data by penalized weighted least-square smoothing in the K-L domain,” in Proceedings of the Medical Imaging 2002: Physics of Medical Imaging, vol. 4682, pp. 146–152, May 2002.
- C. Yang, C. Wufan, Y. Xindao, et al., “Improving low-dose abdominal CT images by weighted intensity averaging over large-scale neighborhoods,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. e42–e49, 2011.
- T. Li, X. Li, J. Wang, et al., “Nonlinear sinogram smoothing for low-dose X-ray CT,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 2505–2513, 2004.
- S. Hu, Z. Liao, D. Sun, and W. Chen, “A numerical method for preserving curve edges in nonlinear anisotropic smoothing,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 186507, 14 pages, 2011.
- M. Li and W. Zhao, “Visiting power laws in cyber-physical networking systems,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 302786, 13 pages, 2012.
- M. Li, C. Cattani, and S. Y. Chen, “Viewing sea level by a one-dimensional random function with long memory,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 654284, 13 pages, 2011.
- M. Li, “Fractal time series: a tutorial review,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 157264, 26 pages, 2010.
- C. Tomasi and R. Manduchi, “Bilateral filtering for gray and color images,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 836–846, Bombay, India, January 1998.
- D. Barash, “A fundamental relationship between bilateral filtering, adaptive smoothing, and the nonlinear diffusion equation,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 844–847, 2002.
- A. Wong, “Adaptive bilateral filtering of image signals using local phase characteristics,” Signal Processing, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 1615–1619, 2008.
- Z. Ming and G. Bahadir, “Multiresolution bilateral filtering for image denoising,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 2324–2333, 2008.
- H. Yu, L. Zhao, and H. Wang, “Image denoising using trivariate shrinkage filter in the wavelet domain and joint bilateral filter in the spatial domain,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 2364–2369, 2009.
- R. van Boomgaard and J. van de Weijer, “On the equivalence of local-mode finding,robust estimation and mean-shift analysis as used in early vision tasks,” in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 3, pp. 972–930, Quebec, Canada, August 2002.
- J. J. Francis and G. de Jager, “The bilateral median filter,” Transactions of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 106–111, 2005.
- K. Dabov, A. Foi, V. Katkovnik, and K. Egiazarian, “Image denoising by sparse 3D transform-domain collaborative filtering,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 2080–2095, 2007.
- J. Portilla, V. Strela, M. J. Wainwright, and E. P. Simoncelli, “Image denoising using scale mixtures of Gaussians in the wavelet domain,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1338–1351, 2003.
- A. Buades, B. Coll, and J.-M. Morel, “Nonlocal image and movie denoising,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 123–139, 2008, Special section: selection of papers for CVPR 2005, guest editors: C. Schmid, S. Soatto and C. Tomasi.
- D. L. Donoho and I. M. Johnstone, “Ideal spatial adaptation by wavelet shrinkage,” Biometrika, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 425–455, 1994.