- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 573171, 17 pages
Traffic Congestion Evaluation and Signal Control Optimization Based on Wireless Sensor Networks: Model and Algorithms
School of Computer Science and Technology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116023, China
Received 15 June 2012; Accepted 14 November 2012
Academic Editor: Geert Wets
Copyright © 2012 Wei Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IBM, “Frustration rising: IBM 2011 Commuter Pain Survey,” 2011, http://www.ibm.com/us/en/.
- D. Metz, “The myth of travel time saving,” Transport Reviews, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 321–336, 2008.
- G. Orosz, R. Eddie Wilson, and G. Stefan, “Traffic jams: dynamics and control,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 368, no. 1928, pp. 4455–4479, 2010.
- E. Naone, “GPS data on Beijing cabs reveals the cause of traffic jams,” MIT Technology Review, 2011.
- G. Dimitrakopoulos and P. Demestichas, “Intelligent transportation systems: systems based on cognitive networking principles and management functionality,” IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2010.
- A. Faro, D. Giordano, and C. Spampinato, “Integrating location tracking, traffic monitoring and semantics in a layered ITS architecture,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 197–206, 2011.
- J. P. Zhang, F. Y. Wang, and K. F. Zhang, “Data-driven intelligent transportation systems: a survey,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1624–1639, 2011.
- R. M. Murray, K. J. Åström, S. P. Boyd, R. W. Brockett, and G. Stein, “Future directions in control in an information-rich world,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 20–33, 2003.
- P. R. Kumar, The Third Generation of Control Systems, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Ill, USA, 2009.
- J. W. C. Van Lint, A. J. Valkenberg, A. J. Van Binsbergen, and A. Bigazzi, “Advanced traffic monitoring for sustainable traffic management: experiences and results of five years of collaborative research in the Netherlands,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 387–400, 2010.
- A. K. Lawrence, K. M. Milton, and R. P. G. David, Traffic Detector Handbook, vol. 1-2, Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, 2006.
- S. Y. Cheung and V. Pravin, “Traffic surveillance by wireless sensor networks,” Final Report, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 2007.
- L. Atzori, A. Iera, and G. Morabito, “The Internet of things: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 2787–2805, 2010.
- F. Qu, F. Y. Wang, and L. Yang, “Intelligent transportation spaces: vehicles, traffic, communications, and beyond,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 136–142, 2010.
- D. Estrin, D. Culler, K. Pister, and G. Sukhatme, “Connecting the physical world with pervasive networks,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 2002.
- M. Welsh, “Sensor networks for the sciences,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 36–39, 2010.
- M. Tubaishat, Z. Peng, Q. Qi, and S. Yi, “Wireless sensor networks in intelligent transportation systems,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 287–302, 2009.
- D. Tacconi, D. Miorandi, I. Carreras, F. Chiti, and R. Fantacci, “Using wireless sensor networks to support intelligent transportation systems,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 462–473, 2010.
- U. Lee and M. Gerla, “A survey of urban vehicular sensing platforms,” Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 527–544, 2010.
- M. R. Flynn, A. R. Kasimov, J. C. Nave, R. R. Rosales, and B. Seibold, “Self-sustained nonlinear waves in traffic flow,” Physical Review E, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 61–74, 2009.
- K. P. Li, Guidelines for Traffic Signals (RiLSA), China Architecture & Building Press, Beijing, China, 2006.
- J. C. Herrera, D. B. Work, R. Herring, X. Ban, Q. Jacobson, and A. M. Bayen, “Evaluation of traffic data obtained via GPS-enabled mobile phones: the Mobile Century field experiment,” Transportation Research Part C, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 568–583, 2010.
- A. Haoui, R. Kavaler, and P. Varaiya, “Wireless magnetic sensors for traffic surveillance,” Transportation Research Part C, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 294–306, 2008.
- B. Hull, V. Bychkovsky, Y. Zhang et al., “CarTel: a distributed mobile sensor computing system,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '06), pp. 125–138, New York, NY, USA, November 2006.
- A. Thiagarajan, L. Ravindranath, K. LaCurts et al., “VTrack: accurate, energy-aware road traffic delay estimation using mobile phones,” in Proceedings of the 7th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '09), pp. 85–98, Berkeley, Calif, USA, November 2009.
- J. Bacon, A. R. Beresford, D. Evans et al., “TIME: an open platform for capturing, processing and delivering transport-related data,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC '08), pp. 687–691, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, January 2008.
- D. C. Gazis, “The origins of traffic theory,” Operations Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 2002.
- G. F. Newell, “Memoirs on highway traffic flow theory in the 1950s,” Operations Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 173–178, 2002.
- H. Lieu, “Traffic flow theory: a state-of-the-art report. Committee on Traffic Flow Theory and Characteristics, FHWA,” Department of Transportation, 2001.
- M. J. Lighthill and G. B. Whitham, “On kinematic waves II: a theory of traffic on long crowded roads,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 229, no. 1178, pp. 317–345, 1955.
- H. J. Payne, “Models of freeway traffic and control,” Mathematical Models of Public System, vol. 1, pp. 51–61, 1971.
- S. Sun, G. Yu, and C. Zhang, “Short-term traffic flow forecasting using sampling Markov Chain method with incomplete data,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 437–441, June 2004.
- W. Zheng, D. H. Lee, and Q. Shi, “Short-term freeway traffic flow prediction: Bayesian combined neural network approach,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 114–121, 2006.
- Y. Zhang and Z. Ye, “Short-term traffic flow forecasting using fuzzy logic system methods,” Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 102–112, 2008.
- Y. Kamarianakis and P. Prastacos, “Space-time modeling of traffic flow,” Computers and Geosciences, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 119–133, 2005.
- Y. Sugiyamal, M. Fukui, M. Kikuchi et al., “Traffic jams without bottlenecks-experimental evidence for the physical mechanism of the formation of a jam,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1–7, 2008.
- D. B. Work, O. P. Tossavainen, Q. Jacobson, and A. M. Bayen, “Lagrangian sensing: traffic estimation with mobile devices,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC '09), pp. 1536–1543, June 2009.
- N. Shrivastava, R. Mudumbai, U. Madhow, and S. Suri, “Target tracking with binary proximity sensors,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1–30, 2009.
- P. E. Mazare, C.G. Claudel, and A.M. Bayen, “Analytical and grid-free solutions to the Lighthill-Whitham-Richards traffic flow model,” Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley Calif, USA, 2011.
- M. Gentili and P. B. Mirchandani, “Locating sensors on traffic networks: models, challenges and research opportunities,” Transportation Research Part C, vol. 24, pp. 227–255, 2012.
- X. Jeff Ban, L. Chu, R. Herring, and J. D. Margulici, “Sequential modeling framework for optimal sensor placement for multiple intelligent transportation system applications,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 112–120, 2010.
- Z. Y. Cai and M. Z. Li, “A smoothing-finite element method for surface reconstruction from arbitrary scattered data,” Journal of Software, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 838–844, 2003.
- S. F. Hasan, N. H. Siddique, and S. Chakraborty, “Extended MULE concept for traffic congestion monitoring,” Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 63, pp. 65–82, 2010.
- J. Bacon, A. Bejan, D. Evans, et al., “Using real-time road traffic data to evaluate congestion,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 6875, pp. 93–117, 2011.
- R. F. Dressler, “Mathematical solution of the problem of roll waves in inclined channel flow,” Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 2, no. 2-3, pp. 149–194, 1949.
- M. Dotoli, M. P. Fanti, and C. Meloni, “A signal timing plan formulation for urban traffic control,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1297–1311, 2006.
- W. M. Wey, “Model formulation and solution algorithm of traffic signal control in an urban network,” Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 355–377, 2000.
- Mobile Century dataset, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 2008, http://traffic.berkeley.edu/.