- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Multiple Sclerosis International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 614716, 10 pages
Multiple Sclerosis in Malaysia: Demographics, Clinical Features, and Neuroimaging Characteristics
1Department of Neurology, Kuala Lumpur Hospital, Jalan Pahang, 50586 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Radiology, Kuala Lumpur Hospital, Jalan Pahang, 50586 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Autoimmune Unit, Allergy and Immunology Research Center, Institute for Medical Research (IMR), Jalan Pahang, 50586 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4National University of Malaysia, Jalan Ya’acob Latif, Bandar Tun Razak, Cheras, 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 15 July 2013; Revised 14 October 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013
Academic Editor: Angelo Ghezzi
Copyright © 2013 S. Viswanathan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. T. Tan, “Multiple sclerosis in Malaysia,” Neurological Journal of Southeast Asia, vol. 2, pp. 1–5, 1997.
- C. T. Tan, “Multiple sclerosis in Malaysia,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 624–627, 1988.
- H. T. Chong and C. T. Tan, “A review of multiple sclerosis with asian perspective,” Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 356–361, 2008.
- C. M. Poser, D. W. Paty, and L. Scheinberg, “New diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines for research protocols,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 227–231, 1983.
- W. I. McDonald, A. Compston, G. Edan et al., “Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the International Panel on the Diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 121–127, 2001.
- C. H. Polman, S. C. Reingold, G. Edan et al., “Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 Revisions to the ‘McDonald Criteria’,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 840–846, 2005.
- C. H. Polman, S. C. Reingold, B. Banwell et al., “Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 Revisions to the McDonald criteria,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 292–302, 2011.
- D. M. Wingerchuk, V. A. Lennon, S. J. Pittock, C. F. Lucchinetti, and B. G. Weinshenker, “Revised diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1485–1489, 2006.
- D. M. Wingerchuk, V. A. Lennon, C. F. Lucchinetti, S. J. Pittock, and B. G. Weinshenker, “The spectrum of neuromyelitis optica,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 805–815, 2007.
- V. A. Lennon, D. M. Wingerchuk, T. J. Kryzer et al., “A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9451, pp. 2106–2112, 2004.
- J. Kira, “Neuromyelitis optica and Asian phenotype of multiple sclerosis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1142, pp. 58–71, 2008.
- W. Kim, M. S. P. Min Su Park, S. H. L. Sang Hyun Lee et al., “Characteristic brain magnetic resonance imaging abnormalities in central nervous system aquaporin-4 autoimmunity,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1229–1236, 2010.
- K. H. Chang, R. K. Lyu, C. M. Chen et al., “Clinical characteristics of multiple sclerosis in Taiwan: a cross-sectional study,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 501–506, 2006.
- S. H. Kim, S. Y. Huh, K. Woojun, et al., “Clinical characteristics and outcome of multiple sclerosis in Korea: does multiple sclerosis in Korea differ from that in the Caucasian populations,” Multiple Scler Journal, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1493–1498, 2013.
- D. Kozamani, I. Panou, V. Mastorodemos, et al., “Rising incidence of MS in females associated with urbanization,” Neurology, vol. 78, no. 22, pp. 1728–1735, 2012.
- H. Houzen, M. Niino, M. Hirotani, et al., “Increased prevalence, incidence and female predominance of multiple sclerosis in northern Japan,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 323, no. 1-2, pp. 117–122, 2012.
- N. Koch-Henriksen and P. S. Sørensen, “The changing demographic pattern of multiple sclerosis epidemiology,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 520–532, 2010.
- B. G. Weinshenker, “Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 291–308, 1996.
- S. V. Ramagopalan and A. D. Sadovnick, “Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 207–217, 2011.
- H. C. Siong, “Urban governance and rapid urbanization issues in Malaysia,” Jurnal Alam Bina, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1–24, 2008.
- Population Distribution and Basic Demographic Characteristics, Population and Housing Census of Malaysia, Department of Statistics, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2010.
- J. Jamaliah, “Emerging trends in urbanization in Malaysia,” Journal of the Department of Statistics of Malaysia, vol. 1, pp. 43–53, 2004.
- B. K. Poh, M. Y. Safiah, A. Tahir et al., “Physical activity pattern and energy expenditure of Malaysian adults: findings from the Malaysian adult Nutrition survey (MANS),” Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 13–37, 2010.
- J. Kira, “Multiple sclerosis in the Japanese population,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 117–127, 2003.
- F. Barkhof, M. Filippi, D. H. Miller et al., “Comparison of MRI criteria at first presentation to predict conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis,” Brain, vol. 120, no. 11, pp. 2059–2069, 1997.
- J. K. Swanton, A. Rovira, M. Tintore et al., “MRI criteria for multiple sclerosis in patients presenting with clinically isolated syndromes: a multicentre retrospective study,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 677–686, 2007.
- X. Montalban, M. Tintoré, J. Swanton et al., “MRI criteria for MS in patients with clinically isolated syndromes,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 427–434, 2010.
- W. Kim, S. Kim, S. Hyun Lee, X. Feng Li, and H. Jin Kim, “Brain abnormalities as an initial manifestation of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1107–1112, 2011.
- S. Siritho, N. Prayoonwiwat, T. Pulkes et al., “A retrospective study of multiple sclerosis in Thailand,” Neurology Asia, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 253–261, 2010.
- P. Jitpratoom, S. Siritho, O. Chawalparit, and N. Prayoonwiwat, “Brain and spinal cord magnetic resonance imaging in Thai multiple sclerosis patients,” Neurology Asia, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 2012.
- H. T. Chong, P. C. K. Li, B. J. Singhal, et al., “Proposed modifications to McDonald diagnostic criteria for Asians with multiple sclerosis,” Neurology Asia, vol. 11, pp. 87–90, 2006.
- L. M. Tartaglino, D. P. Friedman, A. E. Flanders, F. D. Lublin, R. L. Knobler, and M. Liem, “Multiple sclerosis in the spinal cord: MR appearance and correlation with clinical parameters,” Radiology, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 725–732, 1995.
- J. C. Bot, F. Barkhof, C. H. Polman et al., “Spinal cord abnormalities in recently diagnosed MS patients: added value of spinal MRI examination,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 226–233, 2004.
- I. Nakashima, K. Fujihara, and Y. Itoyama, “Oligoclonal IgG bands in Japanese multiple sclerosis patients,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 205–206, 1999.
- M. Andersson, J. Alvarez-Cermeno, G. Bernardi et al., “Cerebrospinal fluid in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: a consensus report,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 897–902, 1994.