- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 718604, 10 pages
Left-Deviating Prism Adaptation in Left Neglect Patient: Reflexions on a Negative Result
1Pole de rééducation et réadaptation, Plateforme mouvement et handicap, Hôpital Henry Gabrielle, Hospices Civils de Lyon, 69000 Lyon, France
2ImpAct, INSERM (U1028), CNRS (UMR5292), Lyon Neuroscience Research Center, 69000 Lyon, France
3Université de Lyon, Université Lyon 1, F-69100, Villeurbanne, France
4Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Received 2 April 2012; Accepted 8 August 2012
Academic Editor: Hubert Dinse
Copyright © 2012 Jacques Luauté et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Bisiach, “Mental representation in unilateral neglect and related disorders: the twentieth Bartlett Memorial Lecture,” Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology A, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 435–461, 1993.
- I. H. Robertson and P. W. Halligan, Spatial Neglect: A Clinical Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment, 1999.
- P. Appelros, G. M. Karlsson, A. Seiger, and I. Nydevik, “Neglect and anosognosia after first-ever stroke: incidence and relationship to disability,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 215–220, 2002.
- A. Farnè, L. J. Buxbaum, M. Ferraro et al., “Patterns of spontaneous recovery of neglect and associated disorders in acute right brain-damaged patients,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 1401–1410, 2004.
- H. Samuelsson, C. Jensen, S. Ekholm, H. Naver, and C. Blomstrand, “Anatomical and neurological correlates of acute and chronic visuospatial neglect following right hemisphere stroke,” Cortex, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 271–285, 1997.
- D. Boisson and A. Vighetto, “La négligence spatiale. De l'évaluation clinique aux possibilités thérapeutiques,” Annales de Réadaptation et de Médecine Physique, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 539–562, 1989.
- G. Denes, C. Semenza, E. Stoppa, and A. Lis, “Unilateral spatial neglect and recovery from hemiplegia. A follow-up study,” Brain, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 543–552, 1982.
- M. Jehkonen, J. P. Ahonen, P. Dastidar et al., “Visual neglect as a predictor of functional outcome one year after stroke,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 195–201, 2000.
- J. Luauté, P. Halligan, G. Rode, Y. Rossetti, and D. Boisson, “Visuo-spatial neglect: a systematic review of current interventions and their effectiveness,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 961–982, 2006.
- J. Luauté, P. Halligan, G. Rode, S. Jacquin-Courtois, and D. Boisson, “Prism adaptation first among equals in alleviating left neglect: a review,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 24, no. 4–6, pp. 409–418, 2006.
- G. M. Redding, Y. Rossetti, and B. Wallace, “Applications of prism adaptation: a tutorial in theory and method,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 431–444, 2005.
- Y. Rossetti, K. Koga, and T. Mano, “Prismatic displacement of vision induces transient changes in the timing of eye-hand coordination.,” Perception and Psychophysics, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 355–364, 1993.
- G. M. Redding and B. Wallace, “Adaptive spatial alignment and strategic perceptual-motor control,” Journal of Experimental Psychology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 379–394, 1996.
- M. J. Weiner, M. Hallett, and H. H. Funkenstein, “Adaptation to lateral displacement of vision in patients with lesions of the central nervous system,” Neurology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 766–772, 1983.
- Y. Rossetti, G. Rode, L. Pisella et al., “Prism adaptation to a rightward optical deviation rehabilitates left hemispatial neglect,” Nature, vol. 395, no. 6698, pp. 166–169, 1998.
- G. Rode, T. Klos, S. Courtois-Jacquin, Y. Rossetti, and L. Pisella, “Neglect and prism adaptation: a new therapeutic tool for spatial cognition disorders,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 24, no. 4–6, pp. 347–356, 2006.
- L. Pisella, G. Rode, A. Famè, D. Boisson, and Y. Rossetti, “Dissociated long lasting improvements of straight-ahead pointing and line bisection tasks in two hemineglect patients,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 327–334, 2002.
- S. Ferber, J. Danckert, M. Joanisse, H. C. Goltz, and M. A. Goodale, “Eye movements tell only half the story,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1826–1829, 2003.
- C. Tilikete, G. Rode, Y. Rossetti, J. Pichon, L. Li, and D. Boisson, “Prism adaptation to rightward optical deviation improves postural imbalance in left-hemiparetic patients,” Current Biology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 524–528, 2001.
- R. D. McIntosh, Y. Rossetti, and A. D. Milner, “Prism adaptation improves chronic visual and haptic neglect: a single case study,” Cortex, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 309–320, 2002.
- A. Maravita, J. McNeil, P. Malhotra, R. Greenwood, M. Husain, and J. Driver, “Prism adaptation can improve contralesional tactile perception in neglect,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1829–1831, 2003.
- H. C. Dijkerman, M. Webeling, J. M. Ter Wal, E. Groet, and M. J. E. Van Zandvoort, “A long-lasting improvement of somatosensory function after prism adaptation, a case study,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 1697–1702, 2004.
- N. Berberovic, L. Pisella, A. P. Morris, and J. B. Mattingley, “Prismatic adaptation reduces biased temporal order judgements in spatial neglect,” NeuroReport, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1199–1204, 2004.
- G. Rode, Y. Rossetti, L. Li, and D. Boisson, “Improvement of mental imagery after prism exposure in neglect: a case study,” Behavioural Neurology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 251–258, 1998.
- G. Rode, Y. Rossetti, and D. Boisson, “Prism adaptation improves representational neglect,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1250–1254, 2001.
- Y. Rossetti, S. Jacquin-Courtois, G. Rode, H. Ota, G. Michel, and D. Boisson, “Does action make the link between number and space representation? Visuo-manual adaptation improves number bisection in unilateral neglect,” Psychological Science, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 426–430, 2004.
- A. Farnè, Y. Rossetti, S. Toniolo, and E. Làdavas, “Ameliorating neglect with prism adaptation: visuo-manual and visuo-verbal measures,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 718–729, 2002.
- G. Rode, L. Pisella, L. Marsal, S. Mercier, Y. Rossetti, and D. Boisson, “Prism adaptation improves spatial dysgraphia following right brain damage,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2487–2493, 2006.
- S. Jacquin-Courtois, G. Rode, L. Pisella, D. Boisson, and Y. Rossetti, “Wheel-chair driving improvement following visuo-manual prism adaptation,” Cortex, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 90–96, 2008.
- S. Watanabe and K. Amimoto, “Generalization of prism adaptation for wheelchair driving task in patients with unilateral spatial neglect,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 443–447, 2010.
- F. Frassinetti, V. Angeli, F. Meneghello, S. Avanzi, and E. Làdavas, “Long-lasting amelioration of visuospatial neglect by prism adaptation,” Brain, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 608–623, 2002.
- S. Vangkilde and T. Habekost, “Finding Wally: prism adaptation improves visual search in chronic neglect,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1994–2004, 2010.
- A. Serino, M. Barbiani, M. L. Rinaldesi, and E. Ladavas, “Effectiveness of prism adaptation in neglect rehabilitation: a controlled trial study,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1392–1398, 2009.
- A. J. Turton, K. O'Leary, J. Gabb, R. Woodward, and I. D. Gilchrist, “A single blinded randomised controlled pilot trial of prism adaptation for improving self-care in stroke patients with neglect,” Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 180–196, 2010.
- C. Michel, “Simulating unilateral neglect in normals: myth or reality?” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 24, no. 4–6, pp. 419–430, 2006.
- M. Sumitani, Y. Rossetti, M. Shibata et al., “Prism adaptation to optical deviation alleviates pathologic pain,” Neurology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 128–133, 2007.
- R. C. Oldfield, “The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 97–113, 1971.
- M. L. Alberti, “A simple test of visual neglect,” Neurology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 658–664, 1973.
- J. Edgeworth, I. Robertson, and T. M. Mac Millan, The Balloons Test, Thames Valley Test Company, London, UK, 1998.
- M. Eglin, L. C. Robertson, and R. T. Knight, “Visual search performance in the neglect syndrome,” Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 372–385, 1989.
- T. Schenkenberg, D. C. Bradford, and E. T. Ajax, “Line bisection and unilateral visual neglect in patients with neurologic impairment,” Neurology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 509–517, 1980.
- G. Gainotti, P. Messerli, and R. Tissot, “Qualitative analysis of unilateral spatial neglect in relation to laterality of cerebral lesions.,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 545–550, 1972.
- L. Pisella, Y. Rossetti, C. Michel et al., “Ipsidirectional impairment of prism adaptation after unilateral lesion of anterior cerebellum,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 150–152, 2005.
- G. M. Redding and B. Wallace, “Implications of prism adaptation asymmetry for unilateral visual neglect: theoretical note,” Cortex, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 390–396, 2010.
- M. Girardi, R. D. McIntosh, C. Michel, G. Vallar, and Y. Rossetti, “Sensorimotor effects on central space representation: prism adaptation influences haptic and visual representations in normal subjects,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1477–1487, 2004.
- C. Colent, L. Pisella, C. Bernieri, G. Rode, and Y. Rossetti, “Cognitive bias induced by visuo-motor adaptation to prisms: a simulation of unilateral neglect in normal individuals?” NeuroReport, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1899–1902, 2000.
- N. Berberovic and J. B. Mattingley, “Effects of prismatic adaptation on judgements of spatial extent in peripersonal and extrapersonal space,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 493–503, 2003.
- C. Michel, Y. Rossetti, G. Rode, and C. Tilikete, “After-effects of visuo-manual adaptation to prisms on body posture in normal subjects,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 219–226, 2003.
- C. Michel, P. Vernet, G. Courtine, Y. Ballay, and T. Pozzo, “Asymmetrical after-effects of prism adaptation during goal oriented locomotion,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 259–268, 2008.
- C. Striemer, J. Sablatnig, and J. Danckert, “Differential influences of prism adaptation on reflexive and voluntary covert attention,” Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 337–349, 2006.
- A. P. Morris, A. Kritikos, N. Berberovic, L. Pisella, C. D. Chambers, and J. B. Mattingley, “Prism adaptation and spatial attention: a study of visual search in normals and patients with unilateral neglect,” Cortex, vol. 40, no. 4-5, pp. 703–721, 2004.
- L. Pisella, G. Rode, A. Farnè, C. Tilikete, and Y. Rossetti, “Prism adaptation in the rehabilitation of patients with visuo-spatial cognitive disorders,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 534–542, 2006.
- J. Luauté, S. Schwartz, Y. Rossetti et al., “Dynamic changes in brain activity during prism adaptation,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 169–178, 2009.
- J. Luauté, C. Michel, G. Rode et al., “Functional anatomy of the therapeutic effects of prism adaptation on left neglect,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 1859–1867, 2006.
- P. A. Pope and R. C. Miall, “Task-specific facilitation of cognition by cathodal transcranial direct current stimulation of the cerebellum,” Brain Stimulation, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 84–94, 2012.