- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 587139, 5 pages
The Role of Targeted Focal Therapy in the Management of Low-Risk Prostate Cancer: Update on Current Challenges
Division of Urology, UC Denver School of Medicine, Academic Office One Building, Room 5602, 12631 East 17th Avenue C-319, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Received 6 October 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editor: Damien Greene
Copyright © 2012 Daniel W. Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, J. Xu, and E. Ward, “Cancer statistics, 2010,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 277–300, 2010.
- O. W. Brawley, “Avoidable cancer deaths globally,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 67–68, 2011.
- T. A. Stamey, N. Yang, and A. R. Hay, “Prostate-specific antigen as a serum marker for adenocarcinoma of the prostate,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 317, no. 15, pp. 909–916, 1987.
- B. F. Hankey, E. J. Feuer, L. X. Clegg et al., “Cancer surveillance series: interpreting trends in prostate cancer—part I: evidence of the effects of screening in recent prostate cancer incidence, mortality, and survival rates,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 1017–1024, 1999.
- A. B. Barqawi, K. J. Krughoff, and K. Eid, “Current challenges in prostate cancer management and the rationale behind targeted focal therapy,” Advances in Urology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- R. M. Hoffman and S. B. Zeliadt, “The cautionary tale of PSA testing: comment on “Risk pand treatment patterns among men diagnosed as having prostate cancer and a prostate-specific antigen level below 4.0 ng/mL”,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 14, pp. 1262–1263, 2010.
- T. J. Wilt, M. K. Brawer, K. M. Jones et al., “Radical prostatectomy versus observation for localized prostate cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 3, pp. 203–213, 2012.
- L. M. Ellison, J. A. Heaney, and J. D. Birkmeyer, “Trends in the use of radical prostatectomy for treatment of prostate cancer,” Effective Clinical Practice, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 228–233, 1999.
- K. F. Sullivan and E. D. Crawford, “Targeted focal therapy for prostate cancer: a review of the literature,” Therapeutic Advances in Urology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 149–159, 2009.
- A. Sreekumar, L. M. Poisson, T. M. Rajendiran et al., “Metabolomic profiles delineate potential role for sarcosine in prostate cancer progression,” Nature, vol. 457, no. 7231, pp. 910–914, 2009.
- A. B. Reed and D. J. Parekh, “Biomarkers for prostate cancer detection,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 103–114, 2010.
- E. A. M. Heijnsdijk, E. M. Wever, A. Auvinen et al., “Quality-of-life effects of prostate-specific antigen screening,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 7, pp. 595–605, 2012.
- R. Etzioni, R. Cha, E. J. Feuer, and O. Davidov, “Asymptornatic incidence and duration of prostate cancer,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 148, no. 8, pp. 775–785, 1998.
- I. M. Thompson, D. P. Ankerst, C. Chi et al., “Operating characteristics of prostate-specific antigen in men with an initial PSA level of 3.0 ng/ml or lower,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 23, no. 6, p. 459, 2005.
- R. Chou, J. M. Croswell, T. Dana et al., “Screening for prostate cancer: a review of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 155, no. 11, pp. 762–771, 2011.
- V. A. Moyer, “Screening for prostate cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 2, p. 120-W-25, 2012.
- V. Scattoni, A. Zlotta, R. Montironi, C. Schulman, P. Rigatti, and F. Montorsi, “Extended and saturation prostatic biopsy in the diagnosis and characterisation of prostate cancer: a critical analysis of the literature,” European Urology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1309–1322, 2007.
- P. Stattin, E. Holmberg, J. E. Johansson, L. Holmberg, J. Adolfsson, and J. Hugosson, “Outcomes in localized prostate cancer: national prostate cancer register of Sweden follow-up study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 102, no. 13, pp. 950–958, 2010.
- E. D. Crawford and A. B. Barqawi, “Targeted focal therapy: a minimally invasive ablation technique for early prostate cancer,” Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 2007.
- K. M. McCormick, “A concept analysis of uncertainty in illness,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 127–131, 2002.
- D. F. Penson, “Active surveillance: not your fathers watchful waiting,” Oncology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 980–982, 2009.
- R. C. N. van den Bergh, S. Roemeling, M. J. Roobol et al., “Outcomes of men with screen-detected prostate cancer eligible for active surveillance who were managed expectantly,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- A. E. Ross, S. Loeb, P. Landis et al., “Prostate-specific antigen kinetics during follow-up are an unreliable trigger for intervention in a prostate cancer surveillance program,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 17, pp. 2810–2816, 2010.
- N. Suardi, U. Capitanio, F. K. H. Chun et al., “Currently used criteria for active surveillance in men with low-risk prostate cancer: an analysis of pathologic features,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 8, pp. 2068–2072, 2008.
- L. C. Harlan, A. Potosky, F. D. Gilliland et al., “Factors associated with initial therapy for clinically localized prostate cancer: prostate cancer outcomes study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 93, no. 24, pp. 1864–1871, 2001.
- T. Nomura and H. Mimata, “Focal therapy in the management of prostate cancer: an emerging approach for localized prostate cancer,” Advances in Urology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- R. J. Babaian, B. Donnelly, D. Bahn et al., “Best practice statement on cryosurgery for the treatment of localized prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 180, no. 5, pp. 1993–2004, 2008.
- D. G. Bostwick, D. J. Waters, E. R. Farley et al., “Group consensus reports from the consensus conference on focal treatment of prostatic Carcinoma, Celebration, Florida, February 24, 2006,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. S42–S44, 2007.
- E. D. Crawford, S. S. Wilson, K. C. Torkko et al., “Clinical staging of prostate cancer: a computer-simulated study of transperineal prostate biopsy,” BJU International, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 999–1004, 2005.
- W. Barzell, W. Whitmore, and G. L. Andriole, “How to perform transperineal saturation prostate biopsy: technique addresses diagnostic, therapeutic dilemmas that arise following TRUS biopsies,” Urology Times, no. 31, p. 41, 2003.
- A. B. Barqawi, K. O. Rove, S. Gholizadeh, C. I. O'Donnell, H. Koul, and E. D. Crawford, “The role of 3-dimensional mapping biopsy in decision making for treatment of apparent early stage prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 186, no. 1, pp. 80–85, 2011.
- G. Onik, M. Miessau, and D. G. Bostwick, “Three-dimensional prostate mapping biopsy has a potentially significant impact on prostate cancer management,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 26, pp. 4321–4326, 2009.
- G. Onik, D. Vaughan, R. Lotenfoe, M. Dineen, and J. Brady, “The “male lumpectomy”: focal therapy for prostate cancer using cryoablation results in 48 patients with at least 2-year follow-up,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 500–505, 2008.
- M. Lazzeri and G. Guazzoni, “Focal therapy meets prostate cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9746, pp. 1036–1037, 2010.
- A. B. Barqawi, P. D. Maroni, and E. D. Crawford, “Determining success of focal therapy: biochemical and biopsy strategies,” in Focal Therapy in Prostate Cancer, H. U. Ahmed, M. Arya, P. Carroll, and M. Emberton, Eds., vol. 2012, Blackwell Publishing Company, 1st edition, 2012.
- G. M. Onik, J. K. Cohen, G. D. Reyes, B. Rubinsky, Z. Chang, and J. Baust, “Transrectal ultrasound-guided percutaneous radical cryosurgical ablation of the prostate,” Cancer, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1291–1299, 1993.
- K. Shinohara, J. A. Connolly, J. C. Presti, and P. R. Carroll, “Cryosurgical treatment of localized prostate cancer (stages T1 to T4): preliminary results,” Journal of Urology, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 115–121, 1996.
- D. K. Bahn, F. Lee, M. H. Solomon, H. Gontina, D. L. Klionsky, and F. T. Lee, “Prostate cancer: US-guided percutaneous cryoablation. Work in progress,” Radiology, vol. 194, no. 2, pp. 551–556, 1995.
- J. K. Cohen, R. J. Miller, G. M. Rooker, and B. A. Shuman, “Cryosurgical ablation of the prostate: two-year prostate-specific antigen and biopsy results,” Urology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 395–401, 1996.
- V. Mouraviev, I. Nosnik, L. Sun et al., “Financial comparative analysis of minimally invasive surgery to open surgery for localized prostate cancer: a single-institution experience,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 311–314, 2007.
- E. H. Lambert, K. Bolte, P. Masson, and A. E. Katz, “Focal cryosurgery: encouraging health outcomes for unifocal prostate cancer,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1117–1120, 2007.
- D. S. Ellis, T. B. Manny, and J. C. Rewcastle, “Cryoablation as primary treatment for localized prostate cancer followed by penile rehabilitation,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 306–310, 2007.
- J. S. Jones, J. C. Rewcastle, B. J. Donnelly, F. M. Lugnani, L. L. Pisters, and A. E. Katz, “Whole gland primary prostate cryoablation: initial results from the cryo on-line data registry,” Journal of Urology, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 554–558, 2008.
- T. J. Polascik, I. Nosnik, J. M. Mayes, and V. Mouraviev, “Short-term cancer control after primary cryosurgical ablation for clinically localized prostate cancer using third-generation cryotechnology,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 117–121, 2007.
- R. Etzioni, D. F. Penson, J. M. Legler et al., “Overdiagnosis due to prostate-specific antigen screening: lessons from U.S. prostate cancer incidence trends,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 13, pp. 981–990, 2002.