- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 124527, 10 pages
Progressive Resistance Exercise and Parkinson's Disease: A Review of Potential Mechanisms
1Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
2Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
3Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
4Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
5Department of Neurology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
6Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
7Department of Physical Therapy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
8Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Received 20 July 2011; Revised 19 September 2011; Accepted 20 September 2011
Academic Editor: Gammon M. Earhart
Copyright © 2012 Fabian J. David et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [21 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Lara A. Pilutti, and Audrey L. Hicks, “Rehabilitation of Ambulatory Limitations,” Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 277–+, 2013.
- Shinichi Amano, Ryan T. Roemmich, Jared W. Skinner, and Chris J. Hass, “Ambulation and Parkinson Disease,” Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 371–+, 2013.
- Lidiane Oliveira Lima, Aline Scianni, and Fátima Rodrigues-de-Paula, “Progressive resistance exercise improves strength and physical performance in people with mild to moderate Parkinson's disease: A systematic review,” Journal of Physiotherapy, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2013.
- Lidiane O. Lima, and Fatima Rodrigues-de-Paula, “Recruitment rate, feasibility and safety of power training in individuals with Parkinson's disease: a proof-of-concept study,” Revista Brasileira De Fisioterapia, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2013.
- Michael J. Falvo, and Gammon M. Earhart, “Parkinson Disease and Exercise,” Comprehensive Physiology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 833–848, 2013.
- Daniel M. Corcos, Julie A. Robichaud, Fabian J. David, Sue E. Leurgans, Miriam R. Rafferty, Cynthia Poon, David E. Vaillancourt, Wendy M. Kohrt, and Cynthia L. Comella, “A two-year randomized controlled trial of progressive resistance exercise for Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1230–1240, 2013.
- Kaitlyn P. Roland, Gareth R. Jones, and Jennifer M. Jakobi, “Parkinson's disease and sex-related differences in electromyography during daily life,” Journal Of Electromyography And Kinesiology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 958–965, 2013.
- Raquel de Oliveira Vilhena, Flavia Lada Degaut Pontes, Breno Mauricio Marson, Romulo Pereira Ribeiro, Katherine Athayde Teixeira de Carvalho, Marco Andre Cardoso, and Roberto Pontarolo, “A new HILIC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous analysis of carbidopa, levodopa, and its metabolites in human plasma,” Journal of Chromatography B-Analytical Technologies in The Biomedical and L, vol. 967, pp. 41–49, 2014.
- Paul LaStayo, Robin Marcus, Lee Dibble, Fernando Frajacomo, and Stan Lindstedt, “Eccentric exercise in rehabilitation: safety, feasibility, and application,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 1426–1434, 2014.
- Neil A. Kelly, Matthew P. Ford, David G. Standaert, Ray L. Watts, C. Scott Bickel, Douglas R. Moellering, S. Craig Tuggle, Jeri Y. Williams, Laura Lieb, Samuel T. Windham, and Marcas M. Bamman, “Novel, high-intensity exercise prescription improves muscle mass, mitochondrial function, and physical capacity in individuals with Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 582–592, 2014.
- Nour Erekat, Ahed Al-Khatib, and Muhammed Al-Jarrah, “Heat shock protein 90 is a potential therapeutic target for ameliorating skeletal muscle abnormalities in Parkinson's disease,” Neural Regeneration Research, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 616–621, 2014.
- Jared W. Skinner, Hyo Keun Lee, Ryan T. Roemmich, Shinichi Amano, and Chris J. Hass, “Execution of Activities of Daily Living in Persons with Parkinson Disease,” Medicine And Science In Sports And Exercise, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1906–1912, 2015.
- Victoria A. Goodwin, Ruth Pickering, Claire Ballinger, Helen Roberts, Emma McIntosh, Sarah Lamb, Alice Nieuwboer, Lynn Rochester, and Ann Ashburn, “A multi-centre, randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness of PDSAFE to prevent falls among people with Parkinson's: study protocol,” Bmc Neurology, vol. 15, 2015.
- Leland E. Dibble, K. Bo Foreman, Odessa Addison, Robin L. Marcus, and Paul C. LaStayo, “Exercise and Medication Effects on Persons With Parkinson Disease Across the Domains of Disability: A Randomized Clinical Trial,” Journal Of Neurologic Physical Therapy, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 85–92, 2015.
- Janey Prodoehl, Miriam R. Rafferty, Fabian J. David, Cynthia Poon, David E. Vaillancourt, Cynthia L. Comella, Sue E. Leurgans, Wendy M. Kohrt, Daniel M. Corcos, and Julie A. Robichaud, “Two-Year Exercise Program Improves Physical Function in Parkinson's Disease: The PRET-PD Randomized Clinical Trial,” Neurorehabilitation And Neural Repair, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 112–122, 2015.
- Helen C. Roberts, Holly E. Syddall, Joe W. Butchart, Emma L. Stack, Cyrus Cooper, and Avan A. Sayer, “The Association of Grip Strength With Severity and Duration of Parkinson's: A Cross-Sectional Study,” Neurorehabilitation And Neural Repair, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 889–896, 2015.
- Guillaume Lamotte, Miriam R. Rafferty, Janey Prodoehl, Wendy M. Kohrt, Cynthia L. Comella, Tanya Simuni, and Daniel M. Corcos, “Effects of Endurance Exercise Training on The Motor and Non-Motor Features of Parkinson's Disease: A Review,” Journal Of Parkinsons Disease, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 21–41, 2015.
- Sara Mateos-Toset, Irene Cabrera-Martos, Irene Torres-Sanchez, Araceli Ortiz-Rubio, Emilio Gonzalez-Jimenez, and Marie Carmen Valenza, “Effects of a Single Hand-Exercise Session on Manual Dexterity and Strength in Persons with Parkinson Disease: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” Pm&R, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 2016.
- Meng Ni, Joseph F. Signorile, Anoop Balachandran, and Melanie Potiaumpai, “Power training induced change in bradykinesia and muscle power in Parkinson's disease,” Parkinsonism & Related Disorders, vol. 23, pp. 37–44, 2016.
- Gretchen O. Reynolds, Michael W. Otto, Terry D. Ellis, and Alice Cronin-Golomb, “The Therapeutic Potential of Exercise to Improve Mood, Cognition, and Sleep in Parkinson's Disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 23–38, 2016.
- Mikhail Saltychev, Esa Barlund, Jaana Paltamaa, Niina Katajapuu, and Katri Laimi, “Progressive resistance training in Parkinson's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Bmj Open, vol. 6, no. 1, 2016.