Research Article | Open Access
Reconstruction of Cardiac Cine MR Images from Partial -Space
Short acquisition time is essential in cardiac cine magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), in particular for sick patients who have difficulties to hold their breath. This paper investigates the use of two reconstruction methods, initially proposed for static images, for reconstructing cardiac cine images from partial -space. A new acquisition schema which makes use of temporal redundancies within data is proposed. The results show that, in comparison with the full -space acquisition, the acquisition time can be reduced by a factor of 4 while obtaining a good reconstruction quality.
- D. C. Noll, D. G. Nishimura, and A. Macovski, “Homodyne detection in magnetic resonance imaging,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 154–163, 1991.
- E. M. Haacke, E. D. Lindskogj, and W. Lin, “A fast, iterative, partial-fourier technique capable of local phase recovery,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 126–145, 1991.
- G. McGibney, M. R. Smith, S. T. Nichols, and A. Crawley, “Quantitative evaluation of several partial Fourier reconstruction algorithms used in MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 1993.
- Z. P. Liang and P. C. Lauterbur, Principles of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Signal Processing Perspective, IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- P. Margosian, F. Schmitt, and D. Purdy, “Faster MR imaging: imaging with half the data,” Health Care Instrumentation, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 195–197, 1986.
- K. P. Pruessmann, M. Weiger, M. B. Scheidegger, and P. Boesiger, “SENSE: sensitivity encoding for fast MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 952–962, 1999.
- M. A. Griswold, P. M. Jakob, R. M. Heidemann et al., “Generalized autocalibrating partially parallel acquisitions (GRAPPA),” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1202–1210, 2002.
- D. K. Sodickson and W. J. Manning, “Simultaneous acquisition of spatial harmonics (SMASH): fast imaging with radiofrequency coil arrays,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 591–603, 1997.
- J. J. van Vaals, M. E. Brummer, W. T. Dixon et al., ““Keyhole” method for accelerating imaging of contrast agent uptake,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 671–675, 1993.
- R. A. Jones, O. Haraldseth, T. B. Muller, P. A. Rinck, and A. N. Oksendal, “K-space substitution: a novel dynamic imaging technique,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 830–834, 1993.
- A. Degenhard, C. Tanner, C. Hayes, D. Hawkes, and M. O. Leach, “Half Fourier acquisition applied to time series of contrast agent uptake,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI '01), pp. 872–880, Heidelberg, Germany, 2001.
- F. R. Korosec, R. Frayne, T. M. Grist, and C. A. Mistretta, “Time-resolved contrast-enhanced 3D MR angiography,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 345–351, 1996.
- Z.-P. Liang, B. Madore, G. H. Glover, and N. J. Pelc, “Fast algorithms for GS-model-based image reconstruction in data-sharing Fourier imaging,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1026–1030, 2003.
- S. J. Riederer, T. Tasciyan, F. Farzaneh, J. N. Lee, R. C. Wright, and R. J. Herfkens, “MR fluoroscopy: technical feasibility,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1988.
- J. Tsao, “On the UNFOLD method,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 202–207, 2002.
- J. Tsao, P. Boesiger, and K. P. Pruessmann, “-t BLAST and -t SENSE: dynamic MRI with high frame rate exploiting spatiotemporal correlations,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1031–1042, 2003.
- M. Suga, T. Matsuda, M. Komori, K. Minato, and T. Takahashi, “Keyhole method for high-speed human cardiac cine MR imaging,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 778–783, 1999.
- B. Madore, G. H. Glover, and N. J. Pelc, “Unaliasing by Fourier-encoding the overlaps using the temporal dimension (UNFOLD), applied to cardiac imaging and fMRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 813–828, 1999.
- P. Kellman, J. M. Sorger, F. H. Epstein, and E. R. McVeigh, “Low latency temporal filter design for real-time MRI using UNFOLD,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 933–939, 2000.
- B. Hiba, N. Richard, M. Janier, and P. Croisille, “Cardiac and respiratory double self-gated cine MRI in the mouse at 7 T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 506–513, 2006.
Copyright © 2010 Josiane Yankam Njiwa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.