- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pathology Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 897292, 7 pages
Advances in Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology for the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Carcinoma
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Received 5 February 2011; Accepted 3 May 2011
Academic Editor: Darshana Jhala
Copyright © 2011 Adnan Hasanovic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Wahidi, J. A. Govert, R. K. Goudar, M. K. Gould, and D. C. McCrory, “Evidence for the treatment of patients with pulmonary nodules: when is it lung cancer? ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition),” Chest, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 94S–107S, 2007.
- D. R. Aberle, C. D. Berg, W. C. Black, et al., “The national lung screening trial: overview and study design,” Radiology, vol. 258, no. 1, pp. 243–253, 2011.
- A. Sandler, “Bevacizumab in non-small cell lung cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 15, part 2, pp. s4613–s4616, 2007.
- G. Scagliotti, N. Hanna, F. Fossella et al., “The differential efficacy of pemetrexed according to NSCLC histology: a review of two phase III studies,” Oncologist, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 253–263, 2009.
- J. L. Marks, S. Broderick, Q. Zhou et al., “Prognostic and therapeutic implications of EGFR and KRAS mutations in resected lung adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2008.
- E. L. Kwak, Y. J. Bang, D. R. Camidge et al., “Anaplastic lymphoma kinase inhibition in non-small-cell lung cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 18, pp. 1693–1703, 2010.
- R. Nizzoli, M. Tiseo, F. Gelsomino et al., “Accuracy of fine needle aspiration cytology in the pathological typing of non-small cell lung cancer,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 489–493, 2011.
- M. F. Zakowski, “Fine-needle aspiration cytology of tumors: diagnostic accuracy and potential pitfalls,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 505–515, 1994.
- C. J. R. Stewart and I. S. Stewart, “Immediate assessment of fine needle aspiration cytology of lung,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 839–843, 1996.
- C. P. Mullan, B. E. Kelly, P. K. Ellis, S. Hughes, N. Anderson, and W. G. McCluggage, “CT-guided fine-needle aspiration of lung nodules: effect on outcome of using coaxial technique and immediate cytological evaluation,” Ulster Medical Journal, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 2004.
- J. H. M. Austin and M. B. Cohen, “Value of having a cytopathologist present during percutaneous fine-needle aspiration biopsy of lung: report of 55 cancer patients and metaanalysis of the literature,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 175–177, 1993.
- W. D. Travis, B. Corrin, Y. Shimosato, and E. Brambilla, World Health Organization International Histological Classification of Tumours. Histological Typing of Lung and Pleural Tumours, Springer, 3rd edition, 1999.
- W. D. Travis, H. K. Muller-Hermelink, and C. C. Harris, World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Lung, Pleura, Thymus and Heart, International Agency For Research On Cancer, Lyon, France, 2004.
- W. D. Travis, E. Brambilla, M. Noguchi et al., “International association for the study of lung cancer/American thoracic society/European respiratory society international multidisciplinary classification of lung adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 244–285, 2011.
- M. F. Zakowski, “Pathology of small cell carcinoma of the lung,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2003.
- P. I. Delgado, M. Jorda, and P. Ganjei-Azar, “Small cell carcinoma versus other lung malignancies: diagnosis by fine-needle aspiration cytology,” Cancer, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 279–285, 2000.
- C. S. Sigel, A. L. Moreira, W. D. Travis et al., “Subtyping of Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma (NSCLC): A Comparison of Small Biopsy and Cytology Specimens,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, (In press).
- N. Rekhtman, S. M. Brandt, C. S. Sigel et al., “Suitability of thoracic cytology for new therapeutic paradigms in non-small cell lung carcinoma: high accuracy of tumor subtyping and feasibility of EGFR and KRAS molecular testing,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 451–458, 2011.
- J. Shimizu, M. Oda, Y. Hayashi, A. Nonomura, and Y. Watanabe, “A clinicopathologic study of resected cases of adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung,” Chest, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 989–994, 1996.
- M. Wu, A. H. Szporn, D. Zhang et al., “Cytology applications of p63 and TTF-1 immunostaining in differential diagnosis of lung cancers,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 223–227, 2005.
- A. G. Nicholson, D. Gonzalez, P. Shah et al., “Refining the diagnosis and EGFR status of non-small cell lung carcinoma in biopsy and cytologic material, using a panel of mucin staining, TTF-1, cytokeratin 5/6, and P63, and EGFR mutation analysis,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 436–441, 2010.
- G. Rossi, M. Papotti, M. Barbareschi, P. Graziano, and G. Pelosi, “Morphology and a limited number of immunohistochemical markers may efficiently subtype non-small-cell lung cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 28, pp. e141–e142, 2009.
- A. Dejmek, P. Naucler, A. Smedjeback et al., “Napsin A (TA02) is a useful alternative to thyroid transcription factor-1 (TTF-1) for the identification of pulmonary adenocarcinoma cells in pleural effusions,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 493–497, 2007.
- L. M. Stoll, M. W. Johnson, E. Gabrielson, F. Askin, D. P. Clark, and Q. K. Li, “The utility of napsin-A in the identification of primary and metastatic lung adenocarcinoma among cytologically poorly differentiated carcinomas,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 441–449, 2010.
- J. Fukuoka, T. Dracheva, J. H. Shih et al., “Desmoglein 3 as a prognostic factor in lung cancer,” Human Pathology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 276–283, 2007.
- V. Monica, P. Ceppi, L. Righi et al., “Desmocollin-3: a new marker of squamous differentiation in undifferentiated large-cell carcinoma of the lung,” Modern Pathology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 709–717, 2009.
- D. Lebanony, H. Benjamin, S. Gilad et al., “Diagnostic assay based on hsa-miR-205 expression distinguishes squamous from nonsquamous non-small-cell lung carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2030–2037, 2009.
- J. A. Bishop, H. Benjamin, H. Cholakh, A. Chajut, D. P. Clark, and W. H. Westra, “Accurate classification of non-small cell lung carcinoma using a novel microRNA-based approach,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 610–619, 2010.
- V. D. Vescovo, C. Cantaloni, A. Cucino et al., “MiR-205 expression levels in nonsmall cell lung cancerdo not always distinguish adenocarcinomas from squamous cell carcinomas,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 268–275, 2011.
- H. Cheng, X. Xu, D. B. Costa, C. A. Powell, and B. Halmos, “Molecular testing in lung cancer: the time is now,” Current Oncology Reports, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 335–348, 2010.
- D. P. Clark, “Seize the opportunity: underutilization of fine-needle aspiration biopsy to inform targeted cancer therapy decisions,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 289–297, 2009.
- S. Sanati, D. W. Lu, E. Schmidt, A. Perry, L. P. Dehner, and J. D. Pfeifer, “Cytologic diagnosis of ewing sarcoma/peripheral neuroectodermal tumor with paired prospective molecular genetic analysis,” Cancer, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 192–199, 2007.
- N. K. B. Pang, S. Y. Chin, M. E. Nga et al., “Comparative validation of c-kit exon 11 mutation analysis on cytology samples and corresponding surgical resections of gastrointestinal stromal tumours,” Cytopathology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 297–303, 2009.
- O. C. J. Schuurbiers, M. G. Looijen-Salamon, M. J. L. Ligtenberg, and H. F. M. Van Der Heijden, “A brief retrospective report on the feasibility of epidermal growth factor receptor and KRAS mutation analysis in transesophageal ultrasound- and endobronchial ultrasound-guided fine needle cytological aspirates,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1664–1667, 2010.
- J. H. Smouse, E. S. Cibas, P. A. Jänne, V. A. Joshi, K. H. Zou, and N. I. Lindeman, “EGFR mutations are detected comparably in cytologic and surgical pathology specimens of nonsmall cell lung cancer,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 67–72, 2009.
- M. E. Arcila, G. R. Oxnard, K. Nafa et al., “Rebiopsy of lung cancer patients with acquired resistance to EGFR inhibitors and enhanced detection of the T790M mutation using a locked nucleic acid-based assay,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1169–1180, 2011.
- C. R. Kelsey, L. B. Marks, D. Hollis et al., “Local recurrence after surgery for early stage lung cancer: an 11-year experience with 975 patients,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 22, pp. 5218–5227, 2009.
- G. Sica, A. Yoshizawa, C. S. Sima et al., “A grading system of lung adenocarcinomas based on histologic pattern is predictive of disease recurrence in stage I tumors,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1155–1162, 2010.
- D. E. Rudomina, O. Lin, and A. L. Moreira, “Cytologic diagnosis of pulmonary adenocarcinoma with micropapillary pattern: does it correlate with the histologic findings?” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 333–339, 2009.
- C. S. Sigel, D. E. Rudomina, N. Rekhtman, W. D. Travis, K. Geisinger, and A. L. Moreira, “Predicting Pulmonary Adenocarcinoma Outcome Based on a Cytology Grading System,” Cancer Cytopathol, (In press).
- M. Brevet, M. Arcila, and M. Ladanyi, “Assessment of EGFR mutation status in lung adenocarcinoma by immunohistochemistry using antibodies specific to the two major forms of mutant EGFR,” Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 169–176, 2010.
- J. H. Paik, G. Choe, H. Kim et al., “Screening of anaplastic lymphoma kinase rearrangement by immunohistochemistry in non-small cell lung cancer: correlation with fluorescence in situ hybridization,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 466–472, 2011.
- E. S. Yi, J. M. Boland, J. J. Maleszewski et al., “Correlation of IHC and FISH for ALK gene rearrangement in non-small cell lung carcinoma: IHC score algorithm for FISH,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 459–465, 2011.
- J. Eckardt, K. E. Olsen, and P. B. Licht, “Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration of undiagnosed chest tumors,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1823–1827, 2010.
- M. A. Friedlander, C. S. Sigel, D. Finley, et al., “Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration cytology—the memorial sloan-kettering cancer center experience,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 363–364, 2010.
- K. G. Tournoy, F. De Ryck, L. R. Vanwalleghem et al., “Endoscopic ultrasound reduces surgical mediastinal staging in lung cancer: a randomized trial,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 177, no. 5, pp. 531–535, 2008.
- T. S. Weiser, K. Hyman, J. Yun, V. Litle, C. Chin, and S. J. Swanson, “Electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy: a surgeon's perspective,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. S797–S801, 2008.
- B. Lamprecht, P. Porsch, C. Pirich, and M. Studnicka, “Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy in combination with PET-CT and rapid on-site cytopathologic examination for diagnosis of peripheral lung lesions,” Lung, vol. 187, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2009.
- G. Schreiber and D. C. McCrory, “Performance characteristics of different modalities for diagnosis of suspected lung cancer: summary of published evidence,” Chest, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 115S–128S, 2003.
- L. Santambrogio, M. Nosotti, N. Bellaviti, G. Pavoni, F. Radice, and V. Caputo, “CT-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology of solitary pulmonary nodules: a prospective, randomized study of immediate cytologic evaluation,” Chest, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 423–425, 1997.