- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Rehabilitation Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 753165, 7 pages
Manual Wheelchair Use: Bouts of Mobility in Everyday Life
Rehabilitation Engineering and Applied Research Laboratory, Georgia Institute of Technology, 490 10th Street NW,
Atlanta, GA 30318, USA
Received 8 May 2012; Accepted 29 May 2012
Academic Editor: Richard Crevenna
Copyright © 2012 Sharon Eve Sonenblum et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [22 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sharon Eve Sonenblum, and Stephen H. Sprigle, “Response of the authors to: comments on "Validation of an accelerometer-based method to measure the use of manual wheelchairs" by Sonenblum et al. Med Eng Phys 2012; 34(6):781-6,” Medical Engineering & Physics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 556–557, 2013.
- Olaf Verschuren, Maremka Zwinkels, Joyce Obeid, Nicky Kerkhof, Marjolijn Ketelaar, and Tim Takken, “Reliability and validity of short-term performance tests for wheelchair-using children and adolescents with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1129–1135, 2013.
- Jayme J. Caspall, Erin Seligsohn, Phuc V. Dao, and Stephen Sprigle, “Changes in inertia and effect on turning effort across different wheelchair configurations,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 1353–1362, 2013.
- Maremka Zwinkels, Olaf Verschuren, Thomas W. J. Janssen, Marjolijn Ketelaar, and Tim Takken, “Exercise training programs to improve hand rim wheelchair propulsion capacity: a systematic review,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 847–861, 2014.
- Stephen Sprigle, and William Delaune, “Factors That Influence Changes in Wheelchair Cushion Performance Over Time,” Assistive Technology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 61–68, 2014.
- Fausto O. Medola, Phuc V. Dao, Jayme J. Caspall, and Stephen Sprigle, “Partitioning Kinetic Energy During Freewheeling Wheelchair Maneuvers,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 326–333, 2014.
- Brooke A. Slavens, Alyssa J. Schnorenberg, Christine M. Aurit, Sergey Tarima, Lawrence C. Vogel, and Gerald F. Harris, “Biomechanics of Pediatric Manual Wheelchair Mobility,” Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, vol. 3, 2015.
- Sara J. Mulroy, Patricia Hatchett, Valerie J. Eberly, Lisa Lighthall Haubert, Sandy Conners, and Philip S. Requejo, “Shoulder Strength and Physical Activity Predictors of Shoulder Pain in People With Paraplegia From Spinal Injury: Prospective Cohort Study,” Physical Therapy, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1027–1038, 2015.
- Sharon Eve Sonenbium, Stephen H. Sprigle, John McKay Cathcart, and Robert John Winder, “3D anatomy and deformation of the seated buttocks,” Journal Of Tissue Viability, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 51–61, 2015.
- Stephen Sprigle, and Morris Huang, “Impact of Mass and Weight Distribution on Manual Wheelchair Propulsion Torque,” Assistive Technology, pp. 150526135859001, 2015.
- Bonita Sawatzky, Carmen DiGiovine, Theresa Berner, Tina Roesler, and Lyndall Katte, “The Need for Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines for Preservation of Upper Extremities in Manual Wheelchair Users A Position Paper,” American Journal Of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 313–324, 2015.
- Howard Liles, Morris Huang, Jayme Caspall, and Stephen Sprigle, “Design of a Robotic System to Measure Propulsion Work of Over-Ground Wheelchair Maneuvers,” Ieee Transactions On Neural Systems And Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 983–991, 2015.
- Joanna Diong, and Claire Boswell-Ruys, “Exercise training programmes to improve hand-rim wheelchair propulsion capacity: PEDro systematic review update,” British Journal Of Sports Medicine, vol. 49, no. 19, 2015.
- Ian M. Rice, Laura A. Rice, and Robert W. Motl, “Promoting Physical Activity Through a Manual Wheelchair Propulsion Intervention in Persons With Multiple Sclerosis,” Archives Of Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1850–1858, 2015.
- Jamille N.L. Lanutti, Fausto O. Medola, Diego D. Gonçalves, Luciana M. da Silva, Anthony R.J. Nicholl, and Luis C. Paschoarelli, “The Significance of Manual Wheelchairs: A Comparative Study on Male and Female Users,” Procedia Manufacturing, vol. 3, pp. 6079–6085, 2015.
- Rodrigo G. Curimbaba, Fausto O. Medola, Laís R. Faganello, Roberta L. Scatolim, Eugenio Merino, Giselle Merino, Lucas J. Garcia, and Luis C. Paschoarelli, “Temperature on Hand’ Surface During Manual Wheelchair Propulsion: A Comparative Study of Two Handrim Designs,” Procedia Manufacturing, vol. 3, pp. 6536–6541, 2015.
- Jui-Te Lin, Morris Huang, and Stephen Sprigle, “Evaluation of wheelchair resistive forces during straight and turning trajectories across different wheelchair configurations using free-wheeling coast-down test,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 763–774, 2015.
- Michael Brogioli, Sophie Schneider, Werner L. Popp, Urs Albisser, Anne K. Brust, Inge-Marie Velstra, Roger Gassert, Armin Curt, and Michelle L. Starkey, “Monitoring Upper Limb Recovery after Cervical Spinal Cord Injury: Insights beyond Assessment Scores,” Frontiers in Neurology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Marieke G. M. Kloosterman, Jaap H. Buurke, Leendert Schaake, Lucas H. V. Van der Woude, and Johan S. Rietman, “Exploration of shoulder load during hand-rim wheelchair start-up with and without power-assisted propulsion in experienced wheelchair users,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 34, pp. 1–6, 2016.
- Valerie Martin-Lemoyne, Dany H. Gagnon, Francois Routhier, Lise Poissant, Michel Tousignant, Helene Corriveau, and Claude Vincent, “To What Extent Can the Use of a Mobility Assistance Dog Reduce Upper Limb Efforts When Manual Wheelchair Users Ascend a Ramp?,” Journal Of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 186–195, 2016.
- Werner L. Popp, Michael Brogioli, Kaspar Leuenberger, Urs Albisser, Angela Frotzler, Armin Curt, Roger Gassert, and Michelle L. Starkey, “A novel algorithm for detecting active propulsion in wheelchair users following spinal cord injury,” Medical Engineering & Physics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 267–274, 2016.
- Alicia M. Koontz, Chung-Ying Tsai, Nathan S. Hogaboom, and Michael L. Boninger, “Transfer component skill deficit rates among Veterans who use wheelchairs,” Journal Of Rehabilitation Research And Development, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 279–293, 2016.