- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Rehabilitation Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 305249, 10 pages
Physiotherapy Treatment in Patients with Hemophilia and Chronic Ankle Arthropathy: A Systematic Review
1Research Group in Physiotherapy and Health Promotion, Regional Campus of International Excellence “Campus Mare Nostrum”, University of Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
2Department of Basic Psychology and Methodology, Faculty of Medicine, Espinardo Campus, University of Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Received 27 January 2013; Revised 10 June 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: Felipe Querol
Copyright © 2013 Rubén Cuesta-Barriuso et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Molho, N. Rolland, T. Lebrun et al., “Epidemiological survey of the orthopaedic status of severe haemophilia A and B patients in France,” Haemophilia, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 23–32, 2000.
- R. R. Montgomery and J. P. Scott, “Hemostasis: diseases of the Xuid phase,” in Hematology of Infancy and Childhood, D. G. Nathan and F. A. Oski, Eds., pp. 1605–1620, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1992.
- K. S. Upchurch and D. B. Brettler, “Hemophilic arthropathy,” in Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, S. Ruddy, E. D. Harris, and C. B. Sledge, Eds., pp. 1567–1574, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2001.
- R. B. Duthie, J. Matthews, and C. Rizza, The Management of Musculoskeletal Problems in the Haemophilias, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, 1972.
- E. C. Rodriguez-Merchan, “Effects of hemophilia on articulations of children and adults,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 328, pp. 7–13, 1996.
- J. Hoskinson and R. B. Duthie, “Management of musculoskeletal problems in the hemophilias,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 455–480, 1978.
- W. J. Ribbans and J. L. Rees, “Management of equinus contractures of the ankle in haemophilia,” Haemophilia, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 46–52, 1999.
- M. J. J. Hooiveld, G. Roosendaal, K. M. G. Jacobs et al., “Initiation of degenerative joint damage by experimental bleeding combined with loading of the joint: a possible mechanism of hemophilic arthropathy,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 2024–2031, 2004.
- N. Hakobyan, T. Kazarian, A. A. Jabbar, K. J. Jabbar, and L. A. Valentino, “Pathobiology of hemophilic synovitis I: overexpression of mdm2 oncogene,” Blood, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 2060–2064, 2004.
- E. Gurcay, E. Eksioglu, U. Ezer, B. Cakir, and A. Cakci, “A prospective series of musculoskeletal system rehabilitation of arthropathic joints in young male hemophilic patients,” Rheumatology International, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 541–545, 2008.
- T. Hilberg, M. Hersbsleb, C. Puta, H. H. W. Gabriel, and W. Schramm, “Physical training increases isometric muscular strength and proprioceptive performance in haemophilic subjects,” Haemophilia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 86–93, 2003.
- M. K. Garcia, A. Capusso, D. Montans, E. Massad, and L. R. Battistella, “Variations of the articular mobility of elbows, knees and ankles in patients with severe haemophilia submitted to free active movimentation in a pool with warm water,” Haemophilia, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 386–389, 2009.
- K. Hill, M. Fearn, S. Williams et al., “Effectiveness of a balance training home exercise programme for adults with haemophilia: a pilot study,” Haemophilia, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 162–169, 2010.
- D. Czepa, S. von Mackensen, and T. Hilberg, “Haemophilia & Exercise Project (HEP): the impact of 1-year sports therapy programme on physical performance in adult haemophilia patients,” Haemophilia, vol. 19, pp. 194–199, 2013.
- E. C. Rodriguez-Merchan, “The haemophilic ankle,” Haemophilia, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 337–344, 2006.
- D. Stephensen, R. Tait, N. Brodie et al., “Changing patterns of bleeding in patients with severe haemophilia A,” Haemophilia, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1210–1214, 2009.
- M. Funk, H. Schmidt, C. Escuriola-Ettingshausen et al., “Radiological and orthopedic score in pediatric hemophilic patients with early and late prophylaxis,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 171–174, 1998.
- M. S. Pearce, M. A. Smith, and G. F. Savidge, “Supramalleolar trial osteotomy for haemophilic arthropathy of the ankle,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Series B, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 947–950, 1994.
- F. R. van Genderen, K. Fischer, L. Heijnen et al., “Pain and functional limitations in patients with severe haemophilia,” Haemophilia, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 2006.
- K. Fischer, J. G. Van Der Bom, P. Molho et al., “Prophylactic versus on-demand treatment strategies for severe haemophilia: a comparison of costs and long-term outcome,” Haemophilia, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 745–752, 2002.
- S. Royal, W. Schramm, E. Berntorp et al., “Quality-of-life differences between prophylactic and on-demand factor replacement therapy in European haemophilia patients,” Haemophilia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2002.
- R. Tiktinsky, B. Falk, M. Heim, and U. Martinovitz, “The effect of resistance training on the frequency of bleeding in haemophilia patients: a pilot study,” Haemophilia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2002.
- L. M. Aledort, R. H. Haschmeyer, and H. Pettersson, “A longitudinal study of orthopaedic outcomes for severe factor-VIII-deficient haemophiliacs,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 236, no. 4, pp. 391–399, 1994.
- B. M. Buzzard, “Physiotherapy for the prevention of articular contraction in haemophilia,” Haemophilia, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 10–15, 1999.
- J. A. Aznar, M. Magallón, F. Querol, E. Gorina, and J. M. Tusell, “The orthopaedic status of severe haemophiliacs in Spain,” Haemophilia, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 170–176, 2000.
- C. M. Bleakley, S. O'Connor, M. A. Tully, L. G. Rocke, D. C. MacAuley, and S. M. McDonough, “The PRICE study (Protection Rest Ice Compression Elevation): design of a randomised controlled trial comparing standard versus cryokinetic ice applications in the management of acute ankle sprain [ISRCTN13903946],” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article 125, 2007.
- C. Hermans, P. De Moerloose, K. Fischer et al., “Management of acute haemarthrosis in haemophilia A without inhibitors: literature review, European survey and recommendations,” Haemophilia, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 383–392, 2011.
- K. Mulder, Exercise for People with Hemophilia, World Federation of Hemophilia, Montreal, Canada, 2006.
- J. G. Gamble, J. Bellah, L. A. Rinsky, and B. Glader, “Arthropathy of the ankle in hemophilia,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Series A, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 1008–1015, 1991.
- K. Dickersin, R. Scherer, and C. Lefebvre, “Identifying relevant studies for systematic reviews,” British Medical Journal, vol. 309, pp. 1286–1291, 1994.
- M. W. Lipsey, “Identifying interesting variables and analysis opportunities,” in The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis, H. M. Cooper, L. V. Hedges, and J. C. Valentine, Eds., pp. 147–158, Sage, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- M. Van Tulder, A. Furlan, C. Bombardier, and L. Bouter, “Updated method guidelines for systematic reviews in the Cochrane Collaboration Back Review Group,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1290–1299, 2003.
- C. G. Maher, C. Sherrington, R. D. Herbert, A. M. Moseley, and M. Elkins, “Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials,” Physical Therapy, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 713–721, 2003.
- R. Rosenthal, Meta-Analytic Procedures for Social Research, Sage, Beverly Hills, Calif, USA, 1984.
- B. Koch, S. Cohen, N. C. Luban, and G. Eng, “Hemophiliac knee: rehabilitation techniques,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 379–382, 1982.
- J. R. Pelletier, T. W. Findley, and S. A. Gemma, “Isometric exercise for an individual with hemophilic arthropathy,” Physical Therapy, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 1359–1364, 1987.
- A.-M. Nazzaro, S. Owens, W. K. Hoots, and K. L. Larson, “Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of youths in the US hemophilia population: results of a national survey,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1618–1622, 2006.
- T. Hilberg, M. Herbsleb, H. H. W. Gabriel, D. Jeschke, and W. Schramm, “Proprioception and isometric muscular strength in haemophilic subjects,” Haemophilia, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 582–588, 2001.
- S. Harris and L. N. Boggio, “Exercise may decrease further destruction in the adult haemophilic joint,” Haemophilia, vol. 12, pp. 237–240, 2006.
- R. Mulvany, A. R. Zucker-Levin, M. Jeng et al., “Effects of a 6-Week, individualized, supervised exercise program for people with bleeding disorders and hemophilic arthritis,” Physical Therapy, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 509–526, 2010.
- M. Luterek, M. Baranowski, W. Zakiewicz, A. Biel, and P. Pedzisz, “PNF-based rehabilitation in patients with severe haemophilic arthropathy—case study,” Ortopedia Traumatologia Rehabilitacja, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 280–289, 2009.
- L. Heijnen and P. de Kleijn, “Physiotherapy for the treatment of articular contractures in haemophilia,” Haemophilia, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 16–19, 1999.
- D. J. Filho, L. R. Battistella, and C. Lourenço, “Computerized pedobarography in the characterization of ankle-foot instabilities of haemophilic patients,” Haemophilia, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 140–146, 2006.
- A. Lambing, B. Kohn-Converse, S. Hanagavadi, and V. Varma, “Use of acupuncture in the management of chronic haemophilia pain,” Haemophilia, vol. 18, pp. 613–617, 2012.
- I. A. d'Young, “Domiciliary application of CryoCuff in severe haemophilia: qualitative questionnaire and clinical audit,” Haemophilia, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 823–827, 2008.
- S. Von Mackensen, B. Eifrig, D. Zäch, J. Kalnins, A. Wieloch, and W. Zeller, “The impact of a specific aqua-training for adult haemophilic patients—results of the WATERCISE study (WAT-QoL),” Haemophilia, vol. 18, pp. 714–721, 2012.