Case Report | Open Access
Verity A. Currall, John H. Dixon, "Synchronous Multifocal Osteosarcoma: Case Report and Literature Review", Sarcoma, vol. 2006, Article ID 053901, 3 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/SRCM/2006/53901
Synchronous Multifocal Osteosarcoma: Case Report and Literature Review
Background. Multifocal osteosarcoma is usually described as the occurrence of the tumour at two or more sites in a patient without pulmonary metastases and may be synchronous or metachronous. Case report. A previously well 21-year old male, who presented with a swollen, painful right knee with no history of trauma, was found to have a high-grade osteosarcoma of the distal tibia and proximal femur. He underwent resection and prosthetic replacement of the distal femur and proximal tibia and remains well 19 months after diagnosis. Discussion. Multifocal osteosarcoma is a rare condition with a poor prognosis. There is debate about whether it represents multiple primary tumours or metastatic disease.
- G Silverman, “Multiple osteogenic sarcoma,” Archives of Pathology, vol. 21, pp. 88–95, 1936.
- R H Daffner, S L Kennedy, K R Fox, J J Crowley, D D Sauser, and L A Cooperstein, “Synchronous multicentric osteosarcoma: the case for metastases,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 569–578, 1997.
- H C Amstutz, “Multiple osteogenic sarcomata - metastatic or multicentric? Report of two cases and review of literature,” Cancer, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 923–931, 1969.
- D M Parham, C B Pratt, L S Parvey, B L Webber, and J Champion, “Childhood multifocal osteosarcoma. Clinicopathologic and radiologic correlates,” Cancer, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 2653–2658, 1985.
- R J McKenna, C P Schwinn, K Y Soong, and N L Higinbotham, “Sarcomata of the osteogenic series (osteosarcoma, fibrosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, parosteal osteogenic sarcoma, and sarcomata arising in abnormal bone): an analysis of 552 cases,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume, vol. 48, pp. 1–26, 1966.
- D C Dahlin and M B Coventry, “Osteogenic sarcoma. A study of six hundred cases,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 101–110, 1967.
- R D Jones, R Reid, G Balakrishnan, and A Barrett, “Multifocal synchronous osteosarcoma: the Scottish Bone Tumour Registry experience,” Medical and Pediatric Oncology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 1993.
- R H Jr Fitzgerald, D C Dahlin, and F H Sim, “Multiple metachronous osteogenic sarcoma. Report of twelve cases with two long-term survivors,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 595–605, 1973.
- C HG Price, “Multifocal osteogenic sarcoma,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British Volume, vol. 39, pp. 524–533, 1957.
- A Iavarone, K K Matthay, T M Steinkirchner, and M A Israel, “Germ-line and somatic p53 gene mutations in multifocal osteogenic sarcoma,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 4207–4209, 1992.
- P Potepan, R Luksch, G Sozzi et al., “Multifocal osteosarcoma as second tumor after childhood retinoblastoma,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 415–421, 1999.
- K D Hopper, R P Jr Moser, D B Haseman, D E Sweet, J E Madewell, and M J Kransdorf, “Osteosarcomatosis,” Radiology, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 233–239, 1990.
- W F Enneking and A Kagan, ““Skip” metastases in osteosarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 2192–2205, 1975.
- O V Batson, “The vertebral vein system,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 78, pp. 195–212, 1957.
- M Hatori, H Ohtani, N Yamada, M Uzuki, and S Kokubun, “Synchronous multifocal osteosarcoma with lymphatic spread in the lung: an autopsy case report,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 562–566, 2001.
- G Bacci, A Longhi, S Ferrari et al., “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NC) for synchronous multifocal osteosarcoma (SMO),” in Proceedings of 37th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, San Francisco, Calif, May 2001.
- J P Mahoney, S S Spanier, and J L Morris, “Multifocal osteosarcoma. A case report with review of the literature,” Cancer, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1897–1907, 1979.
- G Bacci, P Picci, S Ferrari et al., “Synchronous multifocal osteosarcoma: results in twelve patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and simultaneous resection of all involved bones,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 864–866, 1996.
Copyright © 2006 Verity A. Currall and John H. Dixon. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.