- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 203531, 7 pages
Osteosarcoma: Evolution of Treatment Paradigms
1Children’s Cancer Hospital, University of Texas M.D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
2Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
3Department of Clinical Oncology, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2300RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Received 31 January 2013; Accepted 20 April 2013
Academic Editor: Peter Choong
Copyright © 2013 Norman Jaffe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward, Y. Hao, J. Xu, and M. J. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2009,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 225–249, 2009.
- A. Boyer, The Lectures Boyer Upon Disease of the Bone, James Humphreys, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1805.
- S. W. Gross, “Sarcoma of the long bones: based on a study of one hundred sixty five cases,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, pp. 8338–8377, 1879.
- S. Cade, “Osteogenic sarcoma; a study based on 133 patients,” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 79–111, 1955.
- A. B. Ferguson, “Treatment of osteosarcoma,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 92–96, 1940.
- G. T. Rab, J. C. Ivins, and D. S. Childs, “Elective whole lung irradiation in the treatment of osteogenic sarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 939–942, 1976.
- R. C. Marcove, V. Miké, A. G. Huvos, C. M. Southam, and A. G. Levin, “Vaccine trials for osteogenic sarcoma. A preliminary report,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 74–80, 1973.
- J. R. Neff and W. F. Enneking, “Adoptive immunotherapy in primary osteosarcoma: an interim report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 1975.
- H. H. Fudenberg, “Dialyzable transfer factor in the treatment of human osteosarcoma: an analytic review,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 277, pp. 545–557, 1976.
- H. Strander, K. Cantell, P. A. Jakobsson, U. Nilsonne, and G. Soderberg, “Exogenous interferon therapy.of osteogenic sarcoma,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 45, pp. 958–959.
- N. Jaffe, D. Traggis, and C. Enriquez, “Evaluation of a combination of mitomycin C (NSC-26980), phenylalanine mustard (NSC-14210), and vincristine (NSC-67574) in the treatment of osteogenic sarcoma,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 189–191, 1971.
- D. Pinkel, “Cyclophosphamide in children with cancer,” Cancer, vol. 15, pp. 42–49, 1962.
- W. W. Sutow, “Combination chemotherapy with adriamycin (NSC 123127) in primary treatment of osteogenic sarcoma (Part III),” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 315–317, 1975.
- M. P. Sullivan, W. W. Sutow, and G. Taylor, “L-Phenylalanine mustard as a treatment for metastatic osteogenic sarcoma in children,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 227–237, 1963.
- W. W. Sutow, M. P. Sullivan, and D. J. Fernbach, “Adjuvant chemotherapy in primary treatment of osteogenic sarcoma. A southwest oncology group study,” Cancer, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1598–1602, 1975.
- W. W. Sutow, M. P. Sullivan, J. R. Wilbur, and A. Cangir, “Study of adjuvant chemotherapy in osteogenic sarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 530–533, 1975.
- J. Herson, W. W. Sutow, and K. Elder, “Adjuvant chemotherapy in nonmetastatic osteosarcoma: a Southwest Oncology Group study,” Medical and Pediatric Oncology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 343–352, 1980.
- E. C. van Dalen, J. W. van As, and B. de Camargo, “Methotrexate for high-grade osteosarcoma in children and young adults,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 5, Article ID CD006325, 2011.
- S. Farber, L. K. Diamond, R. D. Mercer, R. F. Sylvester Jr., and J. A. Wolff, “Temporary remissions in children in acute leukemia prodiced by folic acid antagonist 4-aminopteroyl-glutamic acid (aminopterin),” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 238, pp. 787–793, 1946.
- A. Goldin, N. Mantel, S. W. Greenhouse, J. M. Venditti, and S. R. Humphreys, “Effect of delayed administration of Citrocorin factor on the antileukemic effectiveness of aminopterin in mice,” Cancer Research, vol. 14, pp. 43–48, 1954.
- I. Djerassi, E. Abir, G. L. Royer Jr., and C. L. Treat, “Long term remission in childhood acute leukemia: use of infrequent infusions of methotrexate: supportive roles of platelet transfusions and citrovorium factor,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 5, pp. 502–509, 1966.
- N. Jaffe, “Recent advances in the chemotherapy of metastatic osteogenic sarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1627–1631, 1972.
- N. Jaffe, “Progress report on high dose methotrexate (NSC 740) with citrovorum. Rescue in the treatment of metastatic bone tumors,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 275–280, 1974.
- N. Jaffe and D. Traggis, “Toxicity of high dose methotrexate (NSC 740) and citrovorum factor (NSC 3590) in osteogenic sarcoma,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 1975.
- N. Jaffe, “Antifolate rescue use of high-dose methotrexate and citrovorum factor,” in Advances in Chemotherapy, A. Rossowsky, Ed., pp. 11–141, Marcel Decker, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- A. M. Goorin, M. Delorey, and R. D. Gelber, “Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/The Children's Hospital adjuvant chemotherapy trials for osteosarcoma: three sequential studies,” Cancer Treatment Symposia, vol. 3, pp. 155–159, 1985.
- M. T. Harting, M. L. Blakely, N. Jaffe et al., “Long-term survival after aggressive resection of pulmonary metastases among children and adolescents with osteosarcoma,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 194–199, 2006.
- S. K. Carter, “Adjuvant chemotherapy in osteogenic sarcoma: the triumph that isn't?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 147–148, 1984.
- W. F. Taylor, J. C. Ivins, and D. J. Pritchard, “Trends and variability in survival among patients with osteosarcoma: a 7-year update,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 91–104, 1985.
- K. M. McCarten, N. Jaffe, and J. A. Kirkpatrick, “The changing radiographic appearance of osteogenic sarcoma,” Annales de Radiologie Medecine Nucleaire, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 203–208, 1980.
- J. H. Edmonson, S. J. Green, and J. C. Ivins, “A controlled pilot study of high-dose methotrexate as postsurgical adjuvant treatment for primary osteosarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 152–156, 1984.
- M. A. Friedman and S. K. Carter, “The therapy of osteogenic sarcoma: current status and thoughts for the future,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 482–510, 1972.
- N. Jaffe, E. Frei III, D. Traggis, and Y. Bishop, “Adjuvant methotrexate and citrovorum factor treatment of osteogenic sarcoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 291, no. 19, pp. 994–997, 1974.
- M. P. Link, A. M. Goorin, and A. W. Miser, “The effect of adjuvant chemotherapy on relapse-free survival in patients with osteosarcoma of the extremity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 314, no. 25, pp. 1600–1606, 1986.
- F. Eilber, A. Giuliano, J. Eckardt, K. Patterson, S. Moseley, and J. Goodnight, “Adjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma: a randomized prospective trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 1987.
- N. Jaffe, “Osteosarcoma,” in The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 314, p. 1513, 1986.
- J. F. Holland, “Adjuvant chemotherapy of osteosarcoma: no runs, no hits, two men left on base,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 4–6, 1987.
- N. Jaffe and R. Gorlick, “High-dose methotrexate in osteosarcoma: let the questions surcease—time for final acceptance,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 4365–4366, 2008.
- M. S. Kim, W. H. Cho, W. S. Song, S. Y. Lee, and D. G. Jeon, “Time depenancy of prognostic factors in patients with stage II osteosarcomas,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 463, pp. 157–165, 2007.
- N. Jaffe, H. Carrasco, K. Raymond, A. Ayala, and F. Eftekhari, “Can cure in patients with osteosarcoma be achieved exclusively with chemotherapy and abrogation of surgery?” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 2202–2210, 2002.
- G. Bonadonna, S. Monfardini, M. De Lena, F. Fossati-Bellani, and G. Beretta, “Phase I and preliminary phase II evaluation of Adriamycin (NSC/123/21),” Cancer Research, vol. 30, pp. 2572–2582, 1970.
- E. Middleman, J. Luce, and E. Frei 3rd. E., “Clinical trials with adriamycin,” Cancer, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 844–850, 1971.
- E. P. Cortes, J. F. Holland, and J. Jaw Wang, “Amputation and adriamycin in primary osteosarcoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 291, no. 19, pp. 998–1000, 1974.
- M. A. Smith, R. S. Ungerleider, M. E. Horowitz, and R. Simon, “Influence of doxorubicin dose intensity on response and outcome for patients with osteogenic sarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 83, no. 20, pp. 1460–1470, 1991.
- E. Baum, L. Greenberg, and P. Gaynon, “Use of Cis-platinum diammine dichloride (CPDD) in osteogenic sarcoma (OS) in children,” Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol. 19, abstract C-315, article 385, 1978.
- R. Nitschke, K. A. Starling, T. Vats, and H. Bryan, “Cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (NSC-119875) in childhood malignancies: a southwest oncology group study,” Medical and Pediatric Oncology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 1978.
- V. P. Chuang, S. Wallace, and R. S. Benjamin, “Multimodal approach to osteosarcoma: emphasis on intra-arterial cis-diamminedichloroplatinum II and limb preservation,” Cardiovas Intervent Radiol, vol. 4, pp. 229–235, 1981.
- N. Jaffe, J. Knapp, and V. P. Chuang, “Osteosarcoma: intra-arterial treatment of the primary tumor with cis-diammine-dichloroplatinum II (CDP). Angiographic, pathologic, and pharmacologic studies,” Cancer, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 402–407, 1983.
- K. H. Antman, D. Montella, C. Rosenbaum, and M. Schwen, “Phase II trial of ifosfamide with mesna in previously treated metastatic sarcoma,” Cancer Treatment Reports, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 499–504, 1985.
- N. Grana, J. Graham-Pole, W. Cassano, et al., “Etoposide (VP-16) infusion plus Cyclophosphamide (CY) pulses: an effective combination for refractory cancer,” Proceedings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, vol. 8, article 300, 1989.
- M. B. Harris, A. B. Cantor, A. M. Goorin et al., “Treatment of osteosarcoma with ifosfamide: comparison of response in pediatric patients with recurrent disease versus patients previously untreated: a Pediatric Oncology Group Study,” Medical and Pediatric Oncology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 87–92, 1995.
- P. A. Meyers, C. L. Schwartz, M. Krailo et al., “Osteosarcoma: a randomized, prospective trial of the addition of ifosfamide and/or muramyl tripeptide to cisplatin, doxorubicin, and high-dose methotrexate,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 2004–2011, 2005.
- P. A. Meyers, C. L. Schwartz, M. D. Krailo et al., “Osteosarcoma: the addition of muramyl tripeptide to chemotherapy improves overall survival—a report from the Children's Oncology Group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 633–638, 2008.
- The European and American Osteosarcoma Study Group, “The EURAMOS I Trial,” 2006, http://www.euramos.org.
- M. A. Simon, M. A. Aschliman, N. Thomas, and H. J. Mankin, “Limb-salvage treatment versus amputation for osteosarcoma of the distal end of the femur,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 1331–1337, 1986.
- D. C. Allison, S. C. Carney, E. R. Ahlmann et al., “A meta-analysis of osteosarcoma outcomes in the modern medical era,” Sarcoma, vol. 2012, Article ID 704872, 10 pages, 2012.
- N. Kawaguchi, A. R. Ahmed, S. Matsumoto, J. Manabe, and Y. Matsushita, “The concept of curative margin in surgery for bone and soft tissue sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 419, pp. 165–172, 2004.
- K. C. Wong and S. M. Kumta, “Computer-assisted tumor surgery in malignant bone tumors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 471, no. 3, pp. 750–761, 2012.
- I. F. Ciernik, A. Niemierko, D. C. Harmon et al., “Proton-based radiotherapy for unresectable or incompletely resected osteosarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 117–119, pp. 4522–4530, 2011.
- A. Matsunobu, R. Imai, T. Kamada et al., “Impact of carbon ion radiotherapy for unresectable osteosarcoma of the trunk,” Cancer, vol. 118, no. 18, pp. 4555–4563, 2012.
- Y. C. Hu, J. T. Ji, and D. X. Lun, “Intraoperative microwave inactivation in-situ of malignant tumors in the scapula,” Orthopaedic Surgery, vol. 4, pp. 229–235, 2011.
- W. Chen, H. Zhu, L. Zhang et al., “Primary bone malignancy: effective treatment with high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation,” Radiology, vol. 255, no. 3, pp. 967–978, 2010.