- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 608964, 11 pages
Sustained Low-Dose Treatment with the Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor LBH589 Induces Terminal Differentiation of Osteosarcoma Cells
1Centre for Cancer Research, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, 27-31 Wright St, Clayton, VIC 3168, Australia
2Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne, VIC 3002, Australia
3Andrew Love Cancer Centre, Deakin University, Barwon Health, 70 Swanston St, Geelong, VIC 3220, Australia
Received 31 December 2012; Accepted 25 January 2013
Academic Editor: C. Fisher
Copyright © 2013 Jason E. Cain et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. H. Luu, E. R. Wagner, G. Luther et al., “Defective osteogenic differentiation in the development of osteosarcoma,” Sarcoma, vol. 2011, Article ID 325238, 12 pages, 2011.
- H. D. Dorfman and B. Czerniak, “Bone cancers,” Cancer, vol. 75, no. 1, supplement, pp. 203–210, 1995.
- S. B. Lansky, J. L. Black, and N. U. Cairns, “Childhood cancer. Medical costs,” Cancer, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 762–766, 1983.
- M. P. Link, A. M. Goorin, and A. W. Miser, “The effect of adjuvant chemotherapy on relapse-free survival in patients with osteosarcoma of the extremity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 314, no. 25, pp. 1600–1606, 1986.
- A. Longhi, C. Errani, M. De Paolis, M. Mercuri, and G. Bacci, “Primary bone osteosarcoma in the pediatric age: state of the art,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 423–436, 2006.
- M. Kansara and D. M. Thomas, “Molecular pathogenesis of osteosarcoma,” DNA and Cell Biology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2007.
- P. A. Meyers, G. Heller, and J. Healey, “Retrospective review of neoadjuvant chemotheraphy for osteogenic sarcoma,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 202–204, 1992.
- A. A. Sandberg and J. A. Bridge, “Updates on the cytogenetics and molecular genetics of bone and soft tissue tumors: osteosarcoma and related tumors,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 1–30, 2003.
- S. L. Berger, T. Kouzarides, R. Shiekhattar, and A. Shilatifard, “An operational definition of epigenetics,” Genes and Development, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 781–783, 2009.
- X. Ma, H. H. Ezzeldin, and R. B. Diasio, “Histone deacetylase inhibitors: current status and overview of recent clinical trials,” Drugs, vol. 69, no. 14, pp. 1911–1934, 2009.
- A. Leder and P. Leder, “Butyric acid, a potent inducer of erythroid differentiation in cultured erythroleukemic cells,” Cell, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 319–322, 1975.
- A. Leder, S. Orkin, and P. Leder, “Differentiation of erythroleukemic cells in the presence of inhibitors of DNA synthesis,” Science, vol. 190, no. 4217, pp. 893–894, 1975.
- J. M. Wagner, B. Hackanson, M. Lübbert, and M. Jung, “Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors in recent clinical trials for cancer therapy,” Clinical Epigenetics, vol. 1, no. 3-4, pp. 117–136, 2010.
- S. M. Taylor and P. A. Jones, “Multiple new phenotypes induced in 10T 1/2 and 3T3 cells treated with 5-azacytidine,” Cell, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 771–779, 1979.
- M. Kansara, M. Tsang, L. Kodjabachian et al., “Wnt inhibitory factor 1 is epigenetically silenced in human osteosarcoma, and targeted disruption accelerates osteosarcomagenesis in mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 837–851, 2009.
- Y. Benjamini and Y. H. Y, “Controlling the false discovery rate—a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 289–300, 1995.
- P. N. Munster, T. Troso-Sandoval, N. Rosen, R. Rifkind, P. A. Marks, and V. M. Richon, “The histone deacetylase inhibitor suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid induces differentiation of human breast cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 23, pp. 8492–8497, 2001.
- V. M. Richon, T. W. Sandhoff, R. A. Rifkind, and P. A. Marks, “Histone deacetylase inhibitor selectively induces p21WAF1 expressjon and gene-associated histone acetylation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 18, pp. 10014–10019, 2000.
- G. Floris, M. Debiec-Rychter, R. Sciot et al., “High efficacy of panobinostat towards human gastrointestinal stromal tumors in a xenograft mouse model,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 4066–4076, 2009.
- D. Thomas and M. Kansara, “Epigenetic modifications in osteogenic differentiation and transformation,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 757–769, 2006.
- C. R. Walkley, R. Qudsi, V. G. Sankaran et al., “Conditional mouse osteosarcoma, dependent on p53 loss and potentiated by loss of Rb, mimics the human disease,” Genes and Development, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1662–1676, 2008.
- J. Shen, H. Hovhannisyan, J. B. Lian et al., “Transcriptional induction of the osteocalcin gene during osteoblast differentiation involves acetylation of histones H3 and H4,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 743–756, 2003.
- R. B. Vega, K. Matsuda, J. Oh et al., “Histone deacetylase 4 controls chondrocyte hypertrophy during skeletogenesis,” Cell, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 555–566, 2004.
- E. J. Arnsdorf, P. Tummala, A. B. Castillo, F. Zhang, and C. R. Jacobs, “The epigenetic mechanism of mechanically induced osteogenic differentiation,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 15, pp. 2881–2886, 2010.
- D. D. Cheng, Q. C. Yang, Z. C. Zhang, C. X. Yang, and Y. W. Liu, “Antitumor activity of histone deacetylase inhibitor A in osteosarcoma cells,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1395–1399, 2012.
- T. Imai, S. Adachi, K. Nishijo et al., “FR901228 induces tumor regression associated with induction of Fas ligand and activation of Fas signaling in human osteosarcoma cells,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 58, pp. 9231–9242, 2003.
- V. Thayanithy, C. Park, A. L. Sarver et al., “Combinatorial treatment of DNA and chromatin-modifying drugs cause cell death in human and canine osteosarcoma cell lines,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 9, Article ID 43720, 2012.
- L. A. Wittenburg, L. Bisson, B. J. Rose, C. Korch, and D. H. Thamm, “The histone deacetylase inhibitor valproic acid sensitizes human and canine osteosarcoma to doxorubicin,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2011.
- S. Lee, J. R. Park, M. S. Seo et al., “Histone deacetylase inhibitors decrease proliferation potential and multilineage differentiation capability of human mesenchymal stem cells,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 711–720, 2009.
- D. M. Vigushin, S. Ali, P. E. Pace et al., “Trichostatin A is a histone deacetylase inhibitor with potent antitumor activity against breast cancer in vivo,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 971–976, 2001.