- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 795964, 24 pages
L-Ascorbic Acid: A Multifunctional Molecule Supporting Plant Growth and Development
Department of Biochemistry, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0129, USA
Received 16 August 2012; Accepted 2 October 2012
Academic Editors: H. Ashihara, C. Riganti, and A. Vanin
Copyright © 2013 Daniel R. Gallie. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [32 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Maria Alexou, “Development-specific responses to drought stress in Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis Mill.) seedlings,” Tree Physiology, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1030–1042, 2013.
- Patricia L. Conklin, Dennis DePaolo, Carmit Schatz, Gail Buckenmeyer, and Brittie Wintle, “Identification of Arabidopsis VTC3 as a putative and unique dual function protein kinase::protein phosphatase involved in the regulation of the ascorbic acid pool in plants,” Journal Of Experimental Botany, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 2793–2804, 2013.
- Zsolt Gulyas, Peter Poor, Radomira Vankova, Irma Tari, Bernd Zechmann, Gabor Galiba, and Gabor Kocsy, “Redox control of plant growth and development,” Plant Science, vol. 211, pp. 77–91, 2013.
- Zhen Chen, Chao Qin, Ling Lin, Xueyi Zeng, Yaqing Zhao, Sijian He, Shaoyun Lu, and Zhenfei Guo, “Overexpression of Yeast Arabinono-1,4-Lactone Oxidase Gene (ALO) Increases Tolerance to Oxidative Stress and Al Toxicity in Transgenic Tobacco Plants,” Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, 2014.
- Tatyana Artiushenko, Dmitry Syshchykov, Vitalii Gryshko, Milada Ciamporova, Roderik Fiala, Vladimir Repka, Michal Martinka, and Jan Pavlovkin, “Metal uptake, antioxidant status and membrane potential in maize roots exposed to cadmium and nickel,” Biologia, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1142–1147, 2014.
- Juan Li, Rong-Fang Xu, Rui-Ying Qin, Hui Ma, Hao Li, Ying-Ping Zhang, Li Li, Peng-Cheng Wei, and Jian-Bo Yang, “Isolation and functional characterization of a novel rice constitutive promoter,” Plant Cell Reports, 2014.
- Gabriella Szalai, T. Janda, and Magda Pal, “Routine Sample Preparation And Hplc Analysis For Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Determination In Wheat Plants And Arabidopsis Leaf Tissues,” Acta Biologica Hungarica, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 205–217, 2014.
- Xiaofeng Cai, Jie Ye, Tixu Hu, Yuyang Zhang, Zhibiao Ye, and Hanxia Li, “Genome-wide classification and expression analysis of nucleobase-ascorbate transporter (NAT) gene family in tomato,” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 19–30, 2014.
- Maryam Hoseini, Mortaza Ghadimzadeh, Behzad Ahmadi, and Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva, “Effects of ascorbic acid, alpha-tocopherol, and glutathione on microspore embryogenesis in Brassica napus L.,” In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Plant, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 26–35, 2014.
- Sigal Cohen, Michal Zmudjak, Catherine Colas des Francs-Small, Sunita Malik, Felix Shaya, Ido Keren, Eduard Belausov, Yair Many, Gregory G. Brown, Ian Small, and Oren Ostersetzer-Biran, “ nMAT4, a maturase factor required for nad1 pre-mRNA processing and maturation, is essential for holocomplex I biogenesis in Arabidopsis mitochondria ,” The Plant Journal, 2014.
- Sarah Agapito-Tenfen, Vinicius Vilperte, Rafael Benevenuto, Carina Rover, Terje Traavik, and Rubens Nodari, “Effect of stacking insecticidal cry and herbicide tolerance epsps transgenes on transgenic maize proteome,” BMC Plant Biology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 346, 2014.
- Svetlana Osipova, Alexey Permyakov, Marina Permyakova, Tatyana Pshenichnikova, Vasiliy Verkhoturov, Alexandr Rudikovsky, Elena Rudikovskaya, Alexandr Shishparenok, Alexey Doroshkov, and Andreas Börner, “Regions of the bread wheat D genome associated with variation in key photosynthesis traits and shoot biomass under both well watered and water deficient conditions,” Journal of Applied Genetics, 2015.
- J.C. Castro, M. Cobos, J.D. Maddox, S.A. Imán, A. Egoavil, J. Torres, and F. Gutierrez, “Gene expression and enzyme activities of the D-mannose/L-galactose pathway influence L-ascorbic acid content in Myrciaria dubia,” Biologia Plantarum, 2015.
- Tahira Fatima, Vigya Kesari, Ian Watt, David Wishart, James F. Todd, William R. Schroeder, Gopinadhan Paliyath, and Priti Krishna, “Metabolite profiling and expression analysis of flavonoid, vitamin C and tocopherol biosynthesis genes in the antioxidant-rich sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.),” Phytochemistry, 2015.
- Sidra Jamil, Qasim Ali, Muhammad Iqbal, Muhammad Tariq Javed, Wasif Iftikhar, Faisal Shahzad, and Rashida Perveen, “Modulations in plant water relations and tissue-specific osmoregulation by foliar-applied ascorbic acid and the induction of salt tolerance in maize plants,” Brazilian Journal of Botany, 2015.
- Bronwyn J. Barkla, and Rosario Vera-Estrella, “Single cell-type comparative metabolomics of epidermal bladder cells from the halophyte Mesembryanthemum crystallinum,” Frontiers in Plant Science, vol. 6, 2015.
- Min-Kyu Kwak, Sung-Hyun Song, MyungHee Ku, and Sa-Ouk Kang, “Candida albicans erythroascorbate peroxidase regulates intracellular methylglyoxal and reactive oxygen species independently of d-erythroascorbic acid,” FEBS Letters, 2015.
- Nizar M. Mhaidat, Karem H. Alzoubi, Omar F. Khabour, Noor H. Tashtoush, Saleem A. Banihani, and Khalid K. Abdul-razzaka, “Exploring the effect of vitamin C on sleep deprivation induced memory impairment,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 113, pp. 41–47, 2015.
- Biyun Ching, Shit F. Chew, and Yuen K. Ip, “Ascorbate synthesis in fishes: A review,” IUBMB Life, 2015.
- Gegen Bao, Chunliu Zhuo, Chunmei Qian, Ting Xiao, Zhenfei Guo, and Shaoyun Lu, “ Co-expression of NCED and ALO improves vitamin C level and tolerance to drought and chilling in transgenic tobacco and stylo plants ,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2015.
- Juan C. Castro, J. Dylan Maddox, Marianela Cobos, David Requena, Mirko Zimic, Aureliano Bombarely, Sixto A. Imán, Luis A. Cerdeira, and Andersson E. Medina, “De novo assembly and functional annotation of Myrciaria dubia fruit transcriptome reveals multiple metabolic pathways for L-ascorbic acid biosynthesis,” BMC Genomics, vol. 16, no. 1, 2015.
- Uzma Younis, Muhammad Farooq Qayyum, M. Hasnain Raza Shah, Subhan Danish, Ahmad Naeem Shahzad, Saeed Ahmad Malik, and Seema Mahmood, “ Growth, survival, and heavy metal (Cd and Ni) uptake of spinach (Spinacia oleracea) and fenugreek (Trigonella corniculata) in a biochar-amended sewage-irrigated contaminated soil ,” Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, 2015.
- Wei Huang, Guang-Long Wang, Hui Li, Feng Wang, Zhi-Sheng Xu, and Ai-Sheng Xiong, “Transcriptional profiling of genes involved in ascorbic acid biosynthesis, recycling, and degradation during three leaf developmental stages in celery,” Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 2016.
- Andrzej Kalisz, Robert Pokluda, Aleš Jezdinský, Agnieszka Sękara, Aneta Grabowska, Joanna Gil, and Jarmila Neugebauerová, “Chilling-induced changes in the antioxidant status of basil plants,” Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, vol. 38, no. 8, 2016.
- Shu-Tseng Lin, Chih-Wen Chiou, Yen-Lin Chu, Yu Hsiao, Yu-Fei Tseng, Yi-Chun Chen, Hsien-Jung Chen, Hsin-Yang Chang, and Tse-Min Lee, “ Enhanced Ascorbate Regeneration Via Dehydroascorbate Reductase Confers Tolerance to Photo-Oxidative Stress in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii ,” Plant and Cell Physiology, pp. pcw129, 2016.
- P. Caruso, M.P. Russo, G. Las Casas, N. Timpanaro, S. Fabroni, D. Pietro Paolo, G. Licciardello, M. Caruso, G. Reforgiato Recupero, and C. Licciardello, “Preliminary data on L-ascorbic acid metabolism in juice of sweet orange during development and maturation,” Acta Horticulturae, no. 1135, pp. 135–146, 2016.
- Gaurav Zinta, Asif Khan, Hamada AbdElgawad, Vipasha Verma, and Ashish Kumar Srivastava, “Unveiling the Redox Control of Plant Reproductive Development during Abiotic Stress,” Frontiers in Plant Science, vol. 7, 2016.
- Ayaka Fujiwara, Satoko Togawa, Takahiro Hikawa, Hideyuki Matsuura, Chikara Masuta, and Tsuyoshi Inukai, “ Ascorbic acid accumulates as a defense response to Turnip mosaic virus in resistant Brassica rapa cultivars ,” Journal of Experimental Botany, pp. erw223, 2016.
- Roberta Calafiore, Valentino Ruggieri, Assunta Raiola, Maria M. Rigano, Adriana Sacco, Mohamed I. Hassan, Luigi Frusciante, and Amalia Barone, “Exploiting Genomics Resources to Identify Candidate Genes Underlying Antioxidants Content in Tomato Fruit,” Frontiers in Plant Science, vol. 7, 2016.
- Valentino Ruggieri, Hamed Bostan, Amalia Barone, Luigi Frusciante, and Maria Luisa Chiusano, “Integrated bioinformatics to decipher the ascorbic acid metabolic network in tomato,” Plant Molecular Biology, 2016.
- Zsuzsanna Kolbert, “Implication of nitric oxide (NO) in excess element-induced morphogenic responses of the root system,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 2016.
- Nitya Subrahmanian, Claire Remacle, and Patrice Paul Hamel, “Plant mitochondrial complex I composition and assembly: A review,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, 2016.