Case Report | Open Access
Aydan Acikgoz, Bora Ozden, Muzaffer Elmalı, "Unilateral Aplasia of the Submandibular Gland with Multiple Calcified Cervical Lymph Nodes: A Case Report and Review of the Litarutre", SRX Dentistry, vol. 2010, Article ID 138615, 5 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/138615
Unilateral Aplasia of the Submandibular Gland with Multiple Calcified Cervical Lymph Nodes: A Case Report and Review of the Litarutre
The congenital absence of major salivary glands and nodal calcifications are both extremely rare disorders. We discuss a 67-year-old female patient with unilateral aplasia of the right submandibular gland and hypoplasia of the left submadibular gland, and the simultaneous presence of multiple calcified lymph nodes that were incidentally detected by panoramic radiography and computed tomography.
- S.-Y. Kwon, E.-J. Jung, S.-H. Kim, and T.-K. Kim, “A case of major salivary gland agenesis,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 219–222, 2006.
- L. Mandel, “An unusual pattern of dental damage with salivary gland aplasia,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 137, no. 7, pp. 984–989, 2006.
- N. Heath, I. Macleod, and R. Pearce, “Major salivary gland agenesis in a young child: consequences for oral health,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 431–434, 2006.
- M. Yılmaz, A. Yücel, S. Dereköy, and A. Altuntaş, “Unilateral aplasia of the submandibular gland,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 259, no. 10, pp. 554–556, 2002.
- A. Srinivasan, J. S. Moyer, and S. K. Mukherji, “Unilateral submandibular gland aplasia associated with ipsilateral sublingual gland hypertrophy,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2214–2216, 2006.
- S. Kubo, K. Abe, T. Ureshino, and M. Oka, “Aplasia of the submandibular gland: a case report,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 119–121, 1990.
- L. Garcia-Consuegra, L. J. Gutierrez, J. M. A. Castro, and J. F. Granado, “Congenital unilateral absence of the submandibular gland,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 344–346, 1999.
- J.-L. Roh, “Unilateral submandibular gland aplasia: an isolated phenomenon of early fetal development,” Otolaryngology, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 332–334, 2006.
- B. S. Koo, S. W. Lee, Y. M. Lee, J. D. Lee, and Y. W. Koh, “Sialolithiasis in a stump of Wharton's duct of an aplastic unilateral submandibular gland,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 93–95, 2009.
- L. Gallego, L. Junquera, P. Cuesta, and P. Rosado, “Symptomatic unilateral submandibular gland aplasia,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 47, no. 3, p. 243, 2009.
- N. Gupta, E. Palacios, and S. Barry, “Unilateral submandibular gland aplasia: a rare phenomenon,” Ear, Nose and Throat Journal, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 818–820, 2009.
- T. Z. Shipchandler and R. R. Lorenz, “Unilateral submandibular gland aplasia masquerading as cancer nodal metastasis,” American Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 432–434, 2008.
- M. Suzuki, Y. Hamada, A. Hamada et al., “Congenital unilateral aplasia of the submandibular gland: a case report and literature review,” Asian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 122–125, 2007.
- Y. Yanir, G. Fleiman, and R. Cohen-Kerem, “Aplasia of the submandibular gland with compensatory sublingual gland hypertrophy: a case report,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Extra, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 77–79, 2009.
- M. Yılmaz, E. Karaman, H. Isildak, O. Enver, and F. Kilic, “Symptomatic unilateral submandibular gland aplasia associated with ipsilateral sublingual gland hypertrophy,” to appear in Dysphagia.
- H. M. Abdel-Dayem, “Congenital absenceof submaxillary gland detected on 99mTc-pertechnetate thyroid imaging,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 3, no. 11, p. 442, 1978.
- M. Yıldırım, M. F. Oktay, C. Ozmen, I. Yavuz, and I. Topcu, “Reveal by biotechnological equipment to the bilateral nonfunctional submandibular glands in ectodermal dysplasia,” Biotechnology and Biotechnological Equipment, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1005–1007, 2008.
- P. Singh and S. Warnakulasuriya, “Aplasia of submandibular salivary glands associated with ectodermal dysplasia,” Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 634–636, 2004.
- A. P. S. Ferreira, R. S. Gomez, W. H. Castro, N. S. Calixto, R. A. P. Silva, and M. J. B. Aguiar, “Congenital absence of lacrimal puncta and salivary glands: report of a brazilian family and review,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 32–34, 2000.
- H. Nordgarden, B. Mork-Knutsen, K. P. Hammerlund, and K. Storhaug, “Salivary gland hypoplasia and aplasia is not so uncommon in persons with oligodontia and ectodermal dysplasias?” Europian Cells and Materials, vol. 14, no. 5, supplement 2, p. 115, 2007.
- C. Matsuda, Y. Matsui, K. Ohno, and K.-I. Michi, “Salivary gland aplasia with cleft lip and palate: a case report and review of the literature,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 594–599, 1999.
- C. C. Mathison and P. A. Hudgins, “Bilateral submandibular gland aplasia with hypertrophy of sublingual glands,” Otolaryngology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 119–120, 2008.
- M. Ahmed, M. Strauss, A. Kassaie, V. Shotelersuk, and R. DeGuzman, “Bilateral submandibular gland aplasia with clinico-radiological mass due to prolapsing sublingual salivary tissue through mylohyoid boutonniere: a case report and review,” Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 121–124, 2009.
- N. Al-Talabani, I. S. Gataa, and S. A. Latteef, “Bilateral agenesis of parotid salivary glands, an extremely rare condition: report of a case and review of literature,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. e73–e75, 2008.
- M. S. Fracaro, V. M. Linnett, K. B. Hallett, and N. W. Savage, “Submandibular gland aplasia and progressive dental caries: a case report,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 347–350, 2002.
- B. L. Eisenkraft and P. M. Som, “The spectrum of benign and malignant etiologies of cervical node calcification,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 172, no. 5, pp. 1433–1437, 1999.
- A. R. Silvers, P. M. Som, and R. J. Meyer, “Egg shell nodal calcification in a patient with sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy treated with interferon,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 361–363, 1996.
- L. Mandel, “Tuberculous cervical node calcifications mimicking sialolithiasis: a case report,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 1439–1442, 2006.
- M. I. Kara, D. Yeler, H. Yeler, and S. Ay, “Panoramic radiographic appearance of massive calcification of tuberculous lymph nodes,” Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 108–114, 2008.
- M. Keberle and S. Robinson, “Physiologic and pathologic calcifications and ossifications in the face and neck,” European Radiology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2103–2111, 2007.
- K. Gormly and C. M. Glastonbury, “Calcified nodal metastasis from squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck,” Australasian Radiology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 240–242, 2004.
- F. Pombo, E. Rodriquez, J. I. Cao, and C. Martinez-Isla, “Cervical lymph node metastases of medullary thyroid carcinoma: CT findings,” European Radiology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 99–101, 1997.
- L. Mandel and F. Surattanont, “Clinical and imaging diagnoses of intramuscular hemangiomas: the wattle sign and case reports,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 754–758, 2004.
- A. D. Gean-Marton, C. F. E. Kirsch, L. G. Vezina, and A. L. Weber, “Focal amyloidosis of the head and neck: evaluation with CT and MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 521–525, 1991.
- D. K. Baskota, R. Prasad, B. K. Sinha, and R. C. M. Amatya, “Distribution of lymph nodes in the neck in cases of tuberculous cervical lymphadenitis,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 124, no. 9, pp. 1095–1098, 2004.
- B. H. Gross, H. J. Schneider, and A. V. Proto, “Eggshell calcification of lymph nodes: an update,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 1265–1268, 1980.
- M. D. de Moura, D. F. Madureira, L. C. Noman-Ferreira, E. N. Abdo, E. G. de Aguiar, and A. R. Freire, “Tonsillolith: a report of three clinical cases,” Medicina Oral, Patología Oral y Cirugía Bucal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. E130–133, 2007.
- S. Ram, C. Huat Siar, S. Mazlipah Ismail, and N. Prepageran, “Pseudo bilateral tonsilloliths: a case report and review of the literature,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 110–114, 2004.
Copyright © 2010 Aydan Acikgoz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.