Research Article | Open Access
T. T. Heikkinen, J. P. Matinlinna, P. K. Vallittu, L. V. J. Lassila, "Effect of Primers and Resins on the Shear Bond Strength of Resin Composite to Zirconia", SRX Dentistry, vol. 2010, Article ID 295137, 8 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/295137
Effect of Primers and Resins on the Shear Bond Strength of Resin Composite to Zirconia
Objective. To evaluate the effects of various surface conditioning methods and agents. Methods. The intaglio zirconia substrates were air particle abraded with (Ø 50 m) for 10 s. An air pressure of 450 kPa and a nozzle distance of 10 mm were used. Surface conditioning by groups: A = silane coupling agent + organophosphate adhesive; B = organophosphate primer + silane coupling agent + organophosphate adhesive; C = organophosphate primer; D = methacrylate adhesive; E = thiophosphate primer + methacrylate adhesive. Composite stubs were bonded to substrates and photo-polymerized. The specimens were thermocycled 8000 times and and kept in distilled water for 14 d. The shear bond strengths were measured with a universal testing machine. Results. Shear bond strengths (MPa SD): Group A , Group B , Group C , Group D , and Group E . ANOVA: significant differences among groups (). Groups A and B: mainly cohesive fractures, Group C: mixed or adhesive fractures, Groups D and E: adhesive fractures. Conclusions. A value of 10–13 MPa is the minimum acceptable shear bond strength. Groups A, B, and C exceeded this limit, Groups D and E could not achieve the limit.
- K. M. Itinoche, M. Özcan, M. A. Bottino, and D. Oyafuso, “Effect of mechanical cycling on the flexural strength of densely sintered ceramics,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1029–1034, 2006.
- H. Lüthy, F. Filser, O. Loeffel, M. Schumacher, L. J. Gauckler, and C. H. F. Hammerle, “Strength and reliability of four-unit all-ceramic posterior bridges,” Dental Materials, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 930–937, 2005.
- J. Tinschert, D. Zwez, R. Marx, and K. J. Anusavice, “Structural reliability of alumina-, feldspar-, leucite-, mica- and zirconia-based ceramics,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 529–535, 2000.
- G. A. Borges, A. M. Sophr, M. F. de Goes, L. C. Sobrinho, and D. C. N. Chan, “Effect of etching and airborne particle abrasion on the microstructure of different dental ceramics,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 479–488, 2003.
- H. Lüthy, O. Loeffel, and C. H. F. Hammerle, “Effect of thermocycling on bond strength of luting cements to zirconia ceramic,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 195–200, 2006.
- H. F. Kappert and M. Krah, “Keramiken—eine Übersicht,” Quintessenz Zahntech, vol. 2, pp. 668–704, 2001.
- J. W. Thurmond, W. W. Barkmeier, and T. M. Wilwerding, “Effect of porcelain surface treatments on bond strengths of composite resin bonded to porcelain,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 355–359, 1994.
- M. Kern and S. M. Wegner, “Bonding to zirconia ceramic: adhesion methods and their durability,” Dental Materials, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 64–71, 1998.
- J. P. Matinlinna, L. V. J. Lassila, M. Özcan, A. Yli-Urpo, and P. K. Vallittu, “An introduction to silanes and their clinical applications in dentistry,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 155–164, 2004.
- M. Kern and V. P. Thompson, “Bonding to glass infiltrated alumina ceramic: adhesive methods and their durability,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 240–249, 1995.
- C. K. Kajdas, “Importance of the triboemission process for tribochemical reaction,” Tribology International, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 337–353, 2005.
- R. Guggenberger, “Das Rocatec-System—Haftung durhc ribochemische Beschichtung,” Deutsche Zahnarztliche Zeitschrift, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 874–876, 1989.
- J. P. Matinlinna and P. K. Vallittu, “Silane based concepts on bonding resin composite to metals,” Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 001–008, 2007.
- R. Janda, J.-F. Roulet, M. Wulf, and H.-J. Tiller, “A new adhesive technology for all-ceramics,” Dental Materials, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 567–573, 2003.
- S. S. Atsu, M. A. Kilicarslan, H. C. Kucukesmen, and P. S. Aka, “Effect of zirconium-oxide ceramic surface treatments on the bond strength to adhesive resin,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 430–436, 2006.
- F. Komine, M. Tomic, T. Gerds, and J. R. Strub, “Influence of different adhesive resin cements on the fracture strength of aluminum oxide ceramic posterior crowns,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 359–364, 2004.
- M. Özcan and P. K. Vallittu, “Effect of surface conditioning methods on the bond strength of luting cement to ceramics,” Dental Materials, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 725–731, 2003.
- M. N. Aboushelib, C. J. Kleverlaan, and A. J. Feilzer, “Selective infiltration-etching technique for a strong and durable bond of resin cements to zirconia-based materials,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 379–388, 2007.
- J. P. Matinlinna, L. V. J. Lassila, and P. K. Vallittu, “The effect of three silane coupling agents and their blends with a cross-linker silane on bonding a bis-GMA resin to silicatized titanium (a novel silane system),” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 740–746, 2006.
- J. P. Matinlinna, L. V. J. Lassila, and P. K. Vallittu, “The effect of five silane coupling agents on the bond strength of a luting cement to a silica-coated titanium,” Dental Materials, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1173–1180, 2007.
- J. P. Matinlinna, L. V. J. Lassila, and P. K. Vallittu, “Pilot evaluation of resin composite cement adhesion to zirconia using a novel silane system,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2007.
- R. van Noort, S. Noroozi, I. C. Howard, and G. Cardew, “A critique of bond strength measurements,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 61–67, 1989.
- ISO 10477, “Dentistry —Polymer-Based Crown and Bridge Materials,” Amendment, 1996.
- M. S. Gale and B. W. Darvell, “Thermal cycling procedures for laboratory testing of dental restorations,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 89–99, 1999.
- G. J. P. Fleming and O. Narayan, “The effect of cement type and mixing on the bi-axial fracture strength of cemented aluminous core porcelain discs,” Dental Materials, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2003.
- B.-K. Kim, H. E.-K. Bae, J.-S. Shim, and K.-W. Lee, “The influence of ceramic surface treatments on the tensile bond strength of composite resin to all-ceramic coping materials,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 357–362, 2005.
- J. P. Matinlinna, T. Heikkinen, M. Özcan, L. V. J. Lassila, and P. K. Vallittu, “Evaluation of resin adhesion to zirconia ceramic using some organosilanes,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 824–831, 2006.
- T. F. Child and W. J. van Ooij, “Application of silane technology to prevent corrosion of metals and improve paint adhesion,” Transactions of the Institute of Metal Finishing, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 64–70, 1999.
- T. T. Heikkinen, L. V. J. Lassila, J. P. Matinlinna, and P. K. Vallittu, “Thermocycling effects on resin bond to silicatized and silanized zirconia,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 23, no. 7-8, pp. 1043–1051, 2009.
- T. Wada, “Development of a new adhesive material and its properties,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Adhesive Prosthodontics, L. Gettleman, M. M. A. Vrijhoef, and Y. Uchiyama, Eds., Academy of Dental Materials, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 1986.
- M. Wolfart, F. Lehmann, S. Wolfart, and M. Kern, “Durability of the resin bond strength to zirconia ceramic after using different surface conditioning methods,” Dental Materials, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2007.
- Y. Taira, K. Yoshida, H. Matsumura, and M. Atsuta, “Phosphate and thiophosphate primers for bonding prosthodontic luting materials to titanium,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 384–388, 1998.
- S. R. Hall, T. E. Fischer, P. Gruffel, and C. Carry, “Effect of grain boundary dopants and mean grain size on tribomechanical behavior of highly purified -alumina in the mild wear regime,” Wear, vol. 181–183, pp. 165–177, 1995.
- G. B. Prabhu and D. L. Bourell, “The hot hardness testing for superplasticity in nanocrystalline Yttria Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia,” Scripta Metallurgica et Materiala, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 761–766, 1995.
Copyright © 2010 T. T. Heikkinen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.