Research Article | Open Access
Peter K. F. Kuhfittig, "Could Some Black Holes Have Evolved from Wormholes?", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2008, Article ID 296158, 5 pages, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3814/2008/296158
Could Some Black Holes Have Evolved from Wormholes?
One way to explain the present acceleration of the universe is Einstein's cosmological constant. It is quite likely, in view of some recent studies, that a time-dependent equation of state had caused the Universe to evolve from an earlier phantom-energy model. In that case, traversable wormholes could have formed spontaneously. It is shown in this paper that such wormholes would eventually have become black holes. This would provide a possible explanation for the huge number of black holes discovered, while any evidence for the existence of wormholes is entirely missing, even though wormholes are just as good, in terms of being a prediction of general relativity, as black holes.
- M. S. Morris and K. S. Thorne, “Wormholes in spacetime and their use for interstellar travel: a tool for teaching general relativity,” American Journal of Physics, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 395–412, 1988.
- J. Solà and H. Štefančić, “Dynamical dark energy or variable cosmological parameters?,” Modern Physics Letters A, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 479–494, 2006.
- J. Solà and H. Štefančić, “Cosmology with variable parameters and effective equation of state for dark energy,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 39, no. 21, pp. 6753–6760, 2006.
- A. G. Riess, A. V. Filippenko, P. Challis et al., “Observational evidence from supernovae for an accelerating universe and a cosmological constant,” Astronomical Journal, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 1009–1038, 1998.
- S. Perlmutter, G. Aldering, G. Goldhaber et al., “Measurements of and from 42 high-redshift supernovae,” The Astrophysical Journal, vol. 517, no. 2, pp. 565–586, 1999.
- M. Carmelli, “Accelerating universe, cosmological constant and dark energy,” http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0111259.
- J. S. Alcaniz, “Dark energy and some alternatives: a brief overview,” Brazilian Journal of Physics, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 1109–1117, 2006.
- R. Bousso, “TASI lectures on the cosmological constant,” General Relativity and Gravitation, vol. 40, no. 2-3, pp. 607–637, 2008.
- R. R. Caldwell, “A phantom menace? Cosmological consequences of a dark energy component with super-negative equation of state,” Physics Letters B, vol. 545, no. 1-2, pp. 23–29, 2002.
- M. S. Morris, K. S. Thorne, and U. Yurtsever, “Wormholes, time machines, and the weak energy condition,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 13, pp. 1446–1449, 1988.
- R. Garattini and F. S. N. Lobo, “Self-sustained phantom wormholes in semi-classical gravity,” Classical and Quantum Gravity, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2401–2413, 2007.
- F. Rahaman, M. Kalam, and S. Chakraborty, “Wormholes with a varying equation of state parameter,” http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0701032.
- A. M. Baranov and E. V. Savel'ev, “A model of an open universe with a variable equation of state,” Russian Physics Journal, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 80–84, 1994.
- L. A. Anchordoqui, D. F. Torres, M. L. Trobo, and S. E. Perez Bergliaffa, “Evolving wormhole geometries,” Physical Review D, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 829–833, 1998.
- S. Kar and D. Sahdev, “Evolving Lorentzian wormholes,” Physical Review D, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 722–730, 1996.
- P. K. F. Kuhfittig, “Static and dynamic traversable wormhole geometries satisfying the Ford-Roman constraints,” Physical Review D, vol. 66, no. 2, Article ID 024015, 8 pages, 2002.
- T. A. Roman, “Inflating Lorentzian wormholes,” Physical Review D, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1370–1379, 1993.
- F. S. N. Lobo, private communication.
- S. Sushkov, “Wormholes supported by a phantom energy,” Physical Review D, vol. 71, no. 4, Article ID 043520, 5 pages, 2005.
- F. S. N. Lobo, “Phantom energy traversable wormholes,” Physical Review D, vol. 71, no. 8, Article ID 084011, 8 pages, 2005.
- O. B. Zaslavskii, “Exactly solvable model of a wormhole supported by phantom energy,” Physical Review D, vol. 72, no. 6, Article ID 061303, 3 pages, 2005.
- P. K. F. Kuhfittig, “Seeking exactly solvable models of traversable wormholes supported by phantom energy,” Classical and Quantum Gravity, vol. 23, no. 20, pp. 5853–5860, 2006.
- P. F. González-Díaz, “Achronal cosmic future,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 7, Article ID 071301, 4 pages, 2004.
Copyright © 2008 Peter K. F. Kuhfittig. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.