Case Report | Open Access
Vimal Kalia, Manmeet Aneja, "Mandibular Premolar Impaction", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 821857, 3 pages, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3814/2009/821857
Mandibular Premolar Impaction
Literature specific to impacted premolars is not extensive despite the fact that mandibular 2nd premolars alone account for 2.4% of dental impactions. The purpose of this paper is to describe the radical approach (extraction) of a transversally impacted 2nd premolar in the mandible through a lingual approach due to its peculiar position presuming it will contribute toward the literature regarding impacted mandible premolars.
- B. J. Moxham and B. K. Berkovitz, “Interactions between thyroxine, hydrocortisone and cyclophosphamide in their effects on the eruption of the rat mandibular incisor,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1083–1087, 1983.
- J. P. Friel, Ed., Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, J. P. Friel, Ed., WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 25th edition, 1974.
- C. C. Alling, III and G. A. Catone, “Management of impacted teeth,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 51, no. 1, supplement 1, pp. 3–6, 1993.
- J. O. Andreasen, “The impacted premolar,” in Textbook and Color Atlas of Tooth Impactions: Diagnosis Treatment and Prevention, J. O. Andreasen, J. K. Petersen, and D. M. Laskin, Eds., pp. 177–195, Munksgaard, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1997.
- V. J. Oikarinen and M. Julku, “Impacted premolars. An analysis of 10,000 orthopantomograms,” Proceedings of the Finnish Dental Society, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 95–98, 1974.
- J. Burch, P. Ngan, and A. Hackman, “Diagnosis and treatment planning for unerupted premolars,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 89–95, 1994.
- D. M. Rubin, D. Vedrenne, and J. E. Portnof, “Orthodontically guided eruption of mandibular second premolar following enucleation of an inflammatory cyst: case report,” The Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 2002.
- S. Takagi and S. Koyama, “Guided eruption of an impacted second premolar associated with a dentigerous cyst in the maxillary sinus of a 6-year-old child,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 237–239, 1998.
- A. D. Hitchin, “The unerupted mandibular premolar,” British Dental Journal, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 117–126, 1966.
- Y. Yawaka, M. Kaga, M. Osanai, A. Fukui, and H. Oguchi, “Delayed eruption of premolars with periodontitis of primary predecessors and a cystic lesion: a case report,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 2002.
- R. E. McDonald and D. R. Avery, “Eruption of the teeth: local, systemic and congenital factors that influence the process,” in Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent, R. E. McDonald and D. R. Avery, Eds., pp. 186–213, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 6th edition, 1994.
- L. J. Peterson, Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Mosby, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 2003.
- A. R. Collett, “Conservative management of lower second premolar impaction,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 279–281, 2000.
- C. A. Frank, “Treatment options for impacted teeth,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 623–632, 2000.
- V. G. Kokich and D. P. Mathews, “Surgical and orthodontic management of impacted teeth,” Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 181–204, 1993.
- W. R. Proffit and H. W. Field, Contemporary Orthodontics, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 3rd edition, 2000.
Copyright © 2009 Vimal Kalia and Manmeet Aneja. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.