Research Article | Open Access
Dynamic Stability of Axially Accelerating Viscoelastic Plate
The transverse vibration of an axially accelerating viscoelastic plate is investigated. The governing equation is derived from the two-dimensional viscoelastic differential constitutive relation while the resulting equation is discretized by the differential quadrature method (DQM). By introducing state vector, the first-order state equation with periodic coefficients is established and then it is solved by Runge-Kutta method. Based on the Floquet theory, the dynamic instability regions and dynamic stability regions for the accelerating plate are determined and the effects of the system parameters on dynamic stability of the plate are discussed.
- R.-F. Fung, J.-S. Huang, and Y.-C. Chen, “The transient amplitude of the viscoelastic traveling string: an integral constitutive law,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 153–167, 1997.
- J. Kim, J. Cho, U. Lee, and S. Park, “Modal spectral element formulation for axially moving plates subjected to in-plane axial tension,” Computers & Structures, vol. 81, no. 20, pp. 2011–2020, 2003.
- Y.-F. Zhou and Z.-M. Wang, “Transverse vibration characteristics of axially moving viscoelastic plate,” Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 209–218, 2007.
- Y.-F. Zhou and Z.-M. Wang, “Vibrations of axially moving viscoelastic plate with parabolically varying thickness,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 316, no. 1–5, pp. 198–210, 2008.
- S. Hatami, H. R. Ronagh, and M. Azhari, “Exact free vibration analysis of axially moving viscoelastic plates,” Computers & Structures, vol. 86, no. 17-18, pp. 1738–1746, 2008.
- N.-H. Zhang, J.-J. Wang, and C.-J. Cheng, “Complex-mode Galerkin approach in transverse vibration of an axially accelerating viscoelastic string,” Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2007.
- L.-Q. Chen, H. Chen, and C. W. Lim, “Asymptotic analysis of axially accelerating viscoelastic strings,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 976–985, 2008.
- M. Pakdemirli, A. G. Ulsoy, and A. Ceranoglu, “Transverse vibration of an axially accelerating string,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 179–196, 1994.
- H. R. Oz, “On the vibrations of an axially traveling beam on fixed supports with variable velocity,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 239, no. 3, pp. 556–564, 2001.
- L.-Q. Chen, X.-D. Yang, and C.-J. Cheng, “Dynamic stability of an axially accelerating viscoelastic beam,” European Journal of Mechanics A, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 659–666, 2004.
- L.-Q. Chen and X.-D. Yang, “Stability in parametric resonance of axially moving viscoelastic beams with time-dependent speed,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 284, no. 3–5, pp. 879–891, 2005.
- T.-Q. Yang, Viscoelasticity Theory and Applications, Science Press, Beijing, China, 2004.
- W. Flügge, Viscoelasticity, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1975.
- T. M. Teo and K. M. Liew, “A differential quadrature procedure for three-dimensional buckling analysis of rectangular plates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 1149–1168, 1998.
- P. Malekzadeh and G. Karami, “Vibration of non-uniform thick plates on elastic foundation by differential quadrature method,” Engineering Structures, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1473–1482, 2004.
- C. W. Bert and M. Malik, “Differential quadrature method in computational mechanics: a review,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 1996.
Copyright © 2009 Yin-Feng Zhou and Zhong-Min Wang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.