- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 982140, 7 pages
Expression of the Type VI Secretion System 1 Component Hcp1 Is Indirectly Repressed by OpaR in Vibrio parahaemolyticus
1Department of Emergency Medicine, General Hospital of Chinese People's Armed Police Forces, Beijing 100039, China
2State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing 100071, China
3School of Public Health, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
Received 21 March 2012; Accepted 7 May 2012
Academic Editors: M. L. Arbonés, V. E. Fernandez Pinto, J. Qiu, and P. Webster
Copyright © 2012 Lizhi Ma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. R. Records, “The type VI secretion system: a multipurpose delivery system with a phage-like machinery,” Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 751–757, 2011.
- A. J. Jani and P. A. Cotter, “Type VI secretion: not just for pathogenesis anymore,” Cell Host & Microbe, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 2010.
- S. T. Miyata, M. Kitaoka, L. Wieteska, C. Frech, N. Chen, and S. Pukatzki, “The Vibrio cholerae type VI secretion system: evaluating its role in the human disease cholera,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 1, article 117, 2010.
- S. B. von Bodman, J. M. Willey, and S. P. Diggle, “Cell-cell communication in bacteria: united we stand,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 190, no. 13, pp. 4377–4391, 2008.
- C. M. Waters and B. L. Bassler, “Quorum sensing: cell-to-cell communication in bacteria,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 21, pp. 319–346, 2005.
- M. B. Miller and B. L. Bassler, “Quorum sensing in bacteria,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 55, pp. 165–199, 2001.
- K. Makino, K. Oshima, K. Kurokawa et al., “Genome sequence of Vibrio parahaemolyticus: a pathogenic mechanism distinct from that of V cholerae,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9359, pp. 743–749, 2003.
- C. J. Gode-Potratz and L. L. McCarter, “Quorum sensing and silencing in Vibrio parahaemolyticus,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 193, no. 16, pp. 4224–4237, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Qiu, Y. Tan, Z. Guo, R. Yang, and D. Zhou, “Transcriptional regulation of opaR, qrr2-4 and aphA by the master quorum-sensing regulator OpaR in Vibrio parahaemolyticus,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e34622, 2012.
- N. Philippe, J. P. Alcaraz, E. Coursange, J. Geiselmann, and D. Schneider, “Improvement of pCVD442, a suicide plasmid for gene allele exchange in bacteria,” Plasmid, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 246–255, 2004.
- Y. Zhang, H. Gao, L. Wang et al., “Molecular characterization of transcriptional regulation of rovA by PhoP and RovA in Yersinia pestis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e25484, 2011.
- R. E. Parales and C. S. Harwood, “Construction and use of a new broad-host-range lacZ transcriptional fusion vector, pHRP309, for Gram—bacteria,” Gene, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 1993.
- L. Zhan, Y. Han, L. Yang et al., “The cyclic AMP receptor protein, CRP, is required for both virulence and expression of the minimal CRP regulon in Yersinia pestis biovar microtus,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 5028–5037, 2008.
- T. Ishikawa, P. K. Rompikuntal, B. Lindmark, D. L. Milton, and S. N. Wai, “Quorum sensing regulation of the two hcp alleles in Vibrio cholerae O1 strains,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 8, Article ID e6734, 2009.
- J. van Helden, “Regulatory sequence analysis tools,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3593–3596, 2003.
- J. L. Enos-Berlage, Z. T. Guvener, C. E. Keenan, and L. L. McCarter, “Genetic determinants of biofilm development of opaque and translucent Vibrio parahaemolyticus,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1160–1182, 2005.
- L. Sheng, D. Gu, Q. Wang, Q. Liu, and Y. Zhang, “Quorum sensing and alternative sigma factor RpoN regulate type VI secretion system I, (T6SSVA1) in fish pathogen Vibrio alginolyticus,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 194, no. 5, pp. 379–390, 2012.
- W. Zhang, S. Xu, J. Li, X. Shen, Y. Wang, and Z. Yuan, “Modulation of a thermoregulated type VI secretion system by ahl-dependent quorum sensing in Yersinia pseudotuberculosis,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 193, no. 5, pp. 351–363, 2011.
- B. K. Khajanchi, J. Sha, E. V. Kozlova et al., “N-acylhomoserine lactones involved in quorum sensing control the type VI secretion system, biofilm formation, protease production, and in vivo virulence in a clinical isolate of Aeromonas hydrophila,” Microbiology, vol. 155, no. 11, pp. 3518–3531, 2009.
- B. Lesic, M. Starkey, J. He, R. Hazan, and L. G. Rahme, “Quorum sensing differentially regulates Pseudomonas aeruginosa type VI secretion locus I and homologous loci II and III, which are required for pathogenesis,” Microbiology, vol. 155, no. 9, pp. 2845–2855, 2009.
- H. Liu, S. J. Coulthurst, L. Pritchard et al., “Quorum sensing coordinates brute force and stealth modes of infection in the plant pathogen Pectobacterium atrosepticum,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 4, no. 6, Article ID e1000093, 2008.
- K. Y. Leung, B. A. Siame, H. Snowball, and Y. K. Mok, “Type VI secretion regulation: crosstalk and intracellular communication,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2011.
- C. S. Bernard, Y. R. Brunet, E. Gueguen, and E. Cascales, “Nooks and crannies in type VI secretion regulation,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 192, no. 15, pp. 3850–3860, 2010.
- S. Pukatzki, A. T. Ma, D. Sturtevant et al., “Identification of a conserved bacterial protein secretion system in Vibrio cholerae using the Dictyostelium host model system,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1528–1533, 2006.
- J. Zheng, O. S. Shin, D. E. Cameron, and J. J. Mekalanos, “Quorum sensing and a global regulator TsrA control expression of type VI secretion and virulence in Vibrio cholerae,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 49, pp. 21128–21133, 2010.
- C. S. Bernard, Y. R. Brunet, M. Gavioli, R. Lloubès, and E. Cascales, “Regulation of type VI Secretion gene clusters by σ54 and cognate enhancer binding proteins,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 193, no. 9, pp. 2158–2167, 2011.
- M. Kitaoka, S. T. Miyata, T. M. Brooks, D. Unterweger, and S. Pukatzki, “VasH is a transcriptional regulator of the type VI secretion system functional in endemic and pandemic Vibrio cholerae,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 193, no. 23, pp. 6471–6482, 2011.