- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 484536, 11 pages
Storage Insects on Yam Chips and Their Traditional Management in Northern Benin
1Laboratory of Agricultural Biodiversity and Tropical Plant breeding (LAAPT), Faculty of Sciences and Technology (FAST-Dassa), University of Abomey-Calavi (UAC), P.O. Box 526, Cotonou, Benin
2Crop, Aromatic and Medicinal Plant Biodiversity Research and Development Institute (IRDCAM), 071 BP 28 Cotonou, Benin
3Institut International d’Agriculture Tropicale (IITA), 08 BP 0932 Cotonou, Benin
4Service de la Protection des Végétaux et du Contrôle Phytosanitaire, Direction de l’Agriculture, BP 58 Porto-Novo, Benin
5Bioversity International, Office of West and Central Africa, 08 BP 0932 Cotonou, Benin
6National Herbarium, Department of Botany and Plant Biology, Faculty of Sciences and Technology (FAST), University of Abomey-Calavi (UAC), P.O. Box 526, Cotonou, Benin
7Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences and Technology (FAST), University of Abomey-Calavi (UAC), P.O. Box 526, Cotonou, Benin
Received 20 January 2013; Accepted 11 February 2013
Academic Editors: G. E. Brust, A. Ferrante, and J. R. Qasem
Copyright © 2013 Y. L. Loko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- FAO, FAOSTAT Database, Food and Agriculture Organization, Roma, Italy, 2010, http://www.fao.org/.
- J. M. Babajide, O. Q. Bello, and S. O. Babajide, “Quantitative determination of active substances (preservatives) in Piliostigma thonningii and Khaya ivorensis leaves and subsequent transfer in dry-yam,” African Journal of Food Science, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 382–388, 2010.
- H. D. Mignouna and A. Dansi, “Yam (Dioscorea ssp.) domestication by the Nago and Fon ethnic groups in Benin,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 519–528, 2003.
- M. N. Baco, S. Tostain, R. L. Mongbo, O. Dainou, and C. Agbangla, “Gestion dynamique de la diversité variétale des ignames cultivées (Dioscorea cayenensis—D. rotundata) dans la commune de Sinendé au nord Bénin,” Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter, vol. 139, pp. 18–24, 2004.
- N. Akissoé, D. J. Hounhouigan, N. Bricas, P. Vernier, C. M. Nago, and O. A. Olorunda, “Physical, chemical and sensory evaluation of dried yam (Dioscorea rotundata) tubers, flour and amala, a flour-derived product,” Tropical Science, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 151–155, 2001.
- D. J. Hounhouigan, A. P. Kayode, N. Bricas, and C. M. Nago, “Desirable culinary and sensory characteristics of yams in urban Benin,” Benin Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 2815–2820, 2003.
- J. M. Babajide, O. O. Atanda, T. A. Ibrahim, H. O. Majolagbe, and S. A. Akinbayode, “Quantitative effect of ‘abafe’ (Piliostigma thionnigii) and ‘agehu’ (Khaya ivorensis) leaves on the microbial load of dry-yam ‘gbodo’,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 2, pp. 292–298, 2008.
- E. Ategbo, N. Bricas, J. Hounhouigan et al., “Le développement de la filière chips d’igname pour l’approvisionnement des villes au Nigeria, au Bénin et au Togo,” in Actes du Séminaire International Cirad-Inra-Orstom-Coraf, pp. 339–341, Montpellier, France, Juin 1997.
- P. Vernier, G. Goergen, R. Dossou, P. Letourmy, and J. Chaume, “Utilization of biological insecticides for the protection of stored yam chips,” Outlook on Agriculture, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 173–179, 2005.
- G. J. B. Gnonlonfin, K. Hell, A. B. Siame, and P. Fandohan, “Infestation and population dynamics of insects on stored cassava and yams chips in Benin, West Africa,” Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1967–1973, 2008.
- A. Dansi, H. D. Mignouna, J. Zoundjihékpon, A. Sangare, R. Asiedu, and F. M. Quin, “Morphological diversity, cultivar groups and possible descent in the cultivated yams (Dioscorea cayenensis—D. rotundata) complex in Benin Republic,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 371–388, 1999.
- A. Dansi, H. Adoukonou-Sagbadja, and R. Vodouhè, “Diversity, conservation and related wild species of Fonio millet (Digitaria spp.) in the Northwest of Benin,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 827–839, 2010.
- Y. L. Loko, A. Dansi, C. Linsoussi et al., “Current status and spatial analysis of Guinea yam (Dioscorea cayenensis Lam. -D. rotundata Poir. complex) diversity in Benin,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution. In press.
- S. Adam and M. Boko, Le Bénin, Les éditions du Flamboyant / EDICEF, 1993.
- A. C. Adomou, Vegetation patterns and environmental gradients in Benin: implications for biogeography and conservation [Ph.D. thesis], University of Wageningen, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 2005.
- A. Akoegninou, W. J. van der Burg, and L. J. G. van der Maesen, Flore Analytique du Bénin, Backhuys Publishers, 2006.
- A. Dansi, A. Adjatin, H. Adoukonou-Sagbadja et al., “Traditional leafy vegetables and their use in the Benin Republic,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1239–1256, 2008.
- K. V. Christinck, B. Kshirsagar, E. Weltzien, and P. J. Bramel-Cox, “Participatory methods for collecting germplasm : experiences with famers of Rajasthan, India,” Plant Ressources Newsletter, vol. 121, p. 129, 2000.
- T. Defoer, A. Kamara, and H. De Groote, “Gender and variety selection: farmers' assessment of local maize varieties in Southern Mali,” African Crop Science Journal, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 1997.
- H. Adoukonou-Sagbadja, A. Dansi, R. Vodouhè, and K. Akpagana, “Indigenous knowledge and traditional conservation of fonio millet (Digitaria exilis, Digitaria iburua) in Togo,” Biodiversity & Conservation, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2379–2395, 2006.
- E. Mendesil, C. Abdeta, A. Tesfaye, Z. Shumeta, and H. Jifar, “Farmers' perceptions and management practices of insect pests on stored sorghum in Southwestern Ethiopia,” Crop Protection, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1817–1825, 2007.
- R. R. Koradaa, S. K. Naskara, and S. Edison, “Insect pests and their management in yam production and storage: a world review,” International Journal of Pest Management, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 337–349, 2010.
- S. C. Eze, J. E. Asiegbu, B. N. Mbah, G. C. Orkwor, and R. Asiedu, “Effects of four agrobotanical extracts and three types of bags on the control of insect pests and moulds of stored yam chips,” Journal of Agriculture, Food, Environment and Extension, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 8–12, 2006.
- A. Delobel, “Les cossettes de manioc, un important réservoir d’insectes des denrées stockées en Afrique centrale,” Revue de Zoologie Africaine, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 1992.
- SAS, “User's guide,” SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 1996.
- N. Bricas and P. Vernier, Dossier: la transformation de l'igname. Bulletin du réseau TPA N° 18, 5–12, 2000, http://infotpa.gret.org/fileadmin/bulletin/bulletin18.pdf.
- F. N. C. Osuji, “Observations on beetles attacking dried yams and yam flour from three Nigerian markets,” Tropical Stored Products Information, vol. 39, pp. 35–38, 1980.
- C. O. Adedire and O. A. Gbaye, “Seasonal prevalence and life history of the yam beetle, Dinoderus porcellus (Lesne) (Coleoptera: Bostrichidae),” Nigerian Journal of Experimental and Applied Biology, vol. 3, pp. 323–329, 2002.
- N. Chalal, A. Bellhamri, and L. Bennamoun, “Étude d’un séchoir solaire fonctionnant en mode direct et indirect,” Revue des Energies Renouvelables, pp. 117–126, 2008, Séminaire Maghrébin sur les Sciences et les Technologies de Séchage (SMSTS '08).
- O. T. Adedoyin, A. Ojuawo, O. O. Adesiyun, F. Mark, and E. A. Anigilaje, “Poisoning due to yam flour consumption in five families in Ilorin, Central Nigeria,” West African Journal of Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 41–43, 2008.
- S. I. Adeleke, “Food poisoning due to yam flour consumption in Kano (Northwest) Nigeria,” Online Journal of Health and Allied Sciences, vol. 8, no. 2, p. 10, 2009.
- M. O. Oni and A. O. Omoniyi, “Studies on temperature influence on oviposition and development of immature stages of the yam beetle Dinoderus porcellus Lesne. Coleoptera: Bostrichidae on dried yam species,” Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 213–218, 2012.
- R. J. Bartelt and M. S. Hossain, “Chemical ecology of Carpophilus sap beetles (Coleoptera: Nitidulidae) and development of an environmentally friendly method of crop protection,” Terrestrial Arthropod Reviews, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 29–61, 2010.
- J. M. Turaki, B. M. Sastawa, B. G. J. Kabir, and N. E. S. Lale, “Susceptibility of flours derived from various cereal grains to infestation by the rust-red flour beetle (Tribolium castaneum Herbst) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) in different seasons,” Journal of Plant Protection Research, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 279–288, 2007.
- N. E. S. Lale and B. A. Yusuf, “Insect pests infesting stored pearl millet Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br. in Northeastern Nigeria and their damage potential,” Cereal Research Communications, vol. 28, no. 1-2, pp. 181–186, 2000.
- S. A. Babarinde, G. O. Babarinde, and O. Olasesan, “Physical and biophysical deterioration of stored plantain chips (Musa Sapientum L.) due to infestation of Tribolium castaneum herbst (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae),” Journal of Plant Protection Research, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 303–306, 2010.
- L. Soldati, G. J. Kergoat, and F. L. Condamine, “Preliminary report on the Tenebrionidae (Insecta, Coleoptera) collected during the SANTO 2006 expedition to Vanuatu, with description of a new species of the genus Uloma Dejean, 1821,” Zoosystema, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 305–317, 2006.
- P. Vernier, R. A. Dossou, and P. Letourmy, “La fabrication d'igname à partir de Dioscorea alata: influence de la variété et du type de chips sur le séchage, la conservation et les qualités organoleptiques,” African Journal of Root and Tuber Crops, vol. 3, pp. 62–67, 1999.
- O. C. Eneh, “Enhancing Africa's environmental management: integrated pest management for minimizing of agricultural pesticides pollution,” Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 521–529, 2011.
- G. W. Norton, E. G. Rajotte, and V. Gapud, “Participatory research in integrated pest management: lessons from the IPM CRSP,” Agriculture and Human Values, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 431–439, 1999.
- J. Brower and M. A. Mullen, “Effects of Xylocoris flavipes (Hemiptera: Anthocoridae) releases on moth populations in experimental peanut storages,” Journal of Entomological Science, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 268–276, 1990.
- A. Russo, G. E. Cocuzza, and M. C. Vasta, “Life tables of Xylocoris flavipes (Hemiptera: Anthocoridae) feeding on Tribolium castaneum (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae),” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 103–112, 2004.
- R. T. Arbogast and J. E. Throne, “Insect infestation of farm-stored maize in South Carolina: towards characterization of a habitat,” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 187–198, 1997.
- J. Helbig, “Efficacy of Xylocoris flavipes (Reuter) (Het., Anthocoridae) to suppress Prostephanus truncatus (Horn) (Col., Bostrichidae) in traditional maize stores in Southern Togo,” Journal of Applied Entomology, vol. 123, no. 8, pp. 503–508, 1999.
- T. Imamura, M. Murata, and A. Miyanoshita, “Review biological aspects and predatory abilities of hemipterans attacking stored-product insects,” Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2008.
- K. T. Awadallah, A. I. Afifi, and I. I. El-Sebaey, “The biology of the reduviid, Allaeocranum biannulipes (Mon. et Sign.), a predator of stored product insect pests,” Bulletin of the Entomological Society of Egypt, vol. 69, pp. 169–181, 1990.
- D. P. Rees, “The effect of Teretriosoma nigrescens Lewis (Coleoptera: Histeridae) on three species of storage Bostrichidae infesting shelled maize,” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 83–86, 1991.
- M. Camara, C. Borgemeister, R. H. Markham, and H. M. Poehling, “Electrophoretic analysis of the prey spectrum of Teretrius nigrescens (Lewis) (Col., Histeridae), a predator of Prostephanus truncatus (Horn) (Col., Bostrichidae), in Mexico, Honduras, and Benin,” Journal of Applied Entomology, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 360–368, 2003.
- F. Dumaine, D. Dufour, C. Mestres, et al., “Effect of yam Dioscorea cayenenis-rotundata post-harvests treatments on yam chips quality,” in Potential of Root Crops for Food and Industrial Resources. Twelfth Symposium of the International Society for Tropical Root Crops (ISTRC), September 10–16, 2000, Tsukuba, Japan, M. Nakatani and K. Komaki, Eds., vol. 12 of Symposium on Potential of Root Crops for Food and Industrial Resources, p. 394, Cultio Corporation, Tsukuba, Japon, 2002.
- D. A. Akinpelu and E. M. Obuotor, “Antibacterial activity of Piliostigma thonningii stem bark,” Fitoterapia, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 442–443, 2000.
- S. A. M. Abdelgaleil, F. Hashinaga, and M. Nakatani, “Antifungal activity of limonoids from Khaya ivorensis,” Pest Management Science, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 186–190, 2005.
- M. Nakatani, S. A. M. Abdelgaleil, S. M. I. Kassem et al., “Three new modified limonoids from Khaya senegalensis,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1219–1221, 2002.
- D. Kubmarawa, M. E. Khan, A. M. Punah, and M. Hassan, “Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial efficacy of extracts from Khaya senegalensis against human pathogenic bacteria,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 24, pp. 4563–4566, 2008.
- M. Sale, N. De, J. H. Doughari, and M. S. Pukuma, “In vitro assessment of antibacterial activity of bark extracts of Khaya senegalensis,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 19, pp. 3443–3446, 2008.
- S. A. Mitchell and M. H. Ahmad, “A review of medicinal plant research at the University of the West Indies, Jamaica, 1948–2001,” West Indian Medical Journal, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 243–269, 2006.
- M. R. M. Ekué, B. Sinsin, O. Eyog-Matig, and R. Finkeldey, “Uses, traditional management, perception of variation and preferences in ackee (Blighia sapida K.D. Koenig) fruit traits in Benin: implications for domestication and conservation,” Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, vol. 6, article 12, 14 pages, 2010.
- A. Khan, F. A. Gumbs, and A. Persad, “Pesticidal bioactivity of ackee (Blighia sapida Koenig) against three stored-product insect pests,” Tropical Agriculture, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 217–223, 2002.
- A. Khan and F. A. Gumbs, “Repellent effect of ackee (Blighia sapida Koenig) component fruit parts against stored product insect pests,” Tropical Agriculture, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 19–27, 2003.
- M. Tamiru, H. C. Becker, and B. L. Maass, “Diversity, distribution and management of yam landraces (Dioscorea spp.) in Southern Ethiopia,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 115–131, 2008.
- G. R. Kombo, A. Dansi, L. Y. Loko et al., “Diversity of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) cultivars and its management in the department of Bouenza in the Republic of Congo,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1789–1803, 2012.
- L. W. Kitch, O. Boukar, C. Endondo, and L. L. Murdock, “Farmer acceptability criteria in breeding cowpea,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 475–486, 1998.
- C. S. Gold, A. Kiggundu, A. M. K. Abera, and D. Karamura, “Selection criteria of Musa cultivars through a farmer participatory appraisal survey in Uganda,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2002.
- G. Abebe, T. Assefa, H. Harrun, T. Mesfine, and A. R. M. Al-Tawaha, “Participatory selection of drought tolerant maize varieties using mother and baby methodology: a case study in the semi-arid zones of the Central Rift Valley of Ethiopia,” World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2005.
- G. Belay, H. Tefera, B. Tadesse, G. Metaferia, D. Jarra, and T. Tadesse, “Participatory variety selection in the Ethiopian cereal tef (Eragrostis tef),” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 91–101, 2006.
- A. Teshome, D. Patterson, Z. Asfew, J. K. Torrance, and J. T. Arnason, “Changes of Sorghum bicolor landrace diversity and farmers' selection criteria over space and time, Ethiopia,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1219–1233, 2007.