- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 748295, 6 pages
Effect of Humidity and Hydrophobicity on the Tribological Properties of Self-Assembled Monolayers
Department of Chemical Engineering, Texas Tech University, 6th Street, Canton, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
Received 6 March 2013; Accepted 10 April 2013
Academic Editors: X. Wang and C.-S. Wu
Copyright © 2013 Yen-Chih Liao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Osterberg and S. D. Senturia, “M-test: a test chip for MEMS material property measurement using electrostatically actuated test structures,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 107–118, 1997.
- R. Maboudian, W. R. Ashurst, and C. Carraro, “Self-assembled monolayers as anti-stiction coatings for MEMS: characteristics and recent developments,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 219–223, 2000.
- W. R. Ashurst, C. Yau, C. Carraro, R. Maboudian, and M. T. Dugger, “Dichlorodimethylsilane as an anti-stiction monolayer for MEMS: a comparison to the octadecyltrichlosilane self-assembled monolayer,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2001.
- Y. P. Zhao, L. S. Wang, and T. X. Yu, “Mechanics of adhesion in memsa review,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 519–546, 2003.
- Y. Liu, D. F. Evans, Q. Song, and D. W. Grainger, “Structure and frictional properties of self-assembled surfactant monolayers,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1235–1244, 1996.
- S. I. Imabayashi, N. Gon, T. Sasaki, D. Hobara, and T. Kakiuchi, “Effect of nanometer-scale phase separation on wetting of binary self-assembled thiol monolayers on Au(111),” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 2348–2351, 1998.
- P. T. Mikulski and J. A. Harrison, “Packing-density effects on the friction of n-alkane monolayers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 28, pp. 6873–6881, 2001.
- L. Li, S. Chen, and S. Jiang, “Nanoscale frictional properties of mixed alkanethiol self-assembled monolayers on Au(111) by scanning force microscopy: humidity effect,” Langmuir, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 666–671, 2003.
- I. Díez-Pérez, M. Luna, F. Teherán, D. F. Ogletree, F. Sanz, and M. Salmeron, “Interaction of water with self-assembled monolayers of alkylsilanes on mica,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1284–1290, 2004.
- A. A. Feiler, J. Stiernstedt, K. Theander, P. Jenkins, and M. W. Rutland, “Effect of capillary condensation on friction force and adhesion,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 517–522, 2007.
- O. P. Khatri, S. Math, C. D. Bain, and S. K. Biswas, “Frictional response of a silane monolayer to sliding in a humid environment,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 44, pp. 16339–16344, 2007.
- O. P. Khatri and S. K. Biswas, “Friction of octadecyltrichlorosilane monolayer self-assembled on silicon wafer in 0% relative humidity,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 2696–2701, 2007.
- B. Yu, L. Qian, J. Yu, and Z. Zhou, “Effects of tail group and chain length on the tribological behaviors of self-assembled dual-layer films in atmosphere and in vacuum,” Tribology Letters, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- L. Chen, X. Gu, M. J. Fasolka, J. W. Martin, and T. Nguyen, “Effects of humidity and sample surface free energy on AFM probe-sample interactions and lateral force microscopy image contrast,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 3494–3503, 2009.
- L. Qian, F. Tian, and X. Xiao, “Tribological properties of self-assembled monolayers and their substrates under various humid environments,” Tribology Letters, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 169–176, 2003.
- C. D. Lorenz, M. Chandross, G. S. Grest, M. J. Stevens, and E. B. Webb, “Tribological properties of alkylsilane self-assembled monolayers,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 25, pp. 11744–11748, 2005.
- H. Gojzewski, M. Kappl, A. Ptak, and H. J. Butt, “Effect of humidity on nanoscale adhesion on self-assembled thiol monolayers studied by dynamic force spectroscopy,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1837–1847, 2009.
- H. S. Ahn, P. D. Cuong, S. Park, Y. W. Kim, and J. C. Lim, “Effect of molecular structure of self-assembled monolayers on their tribological behaviors in nano- and microscales,” Wear, vol. 255, no. 7–12, pp. 819–825, 2003.
- P. Wagner, M. Hegner, H. J. Güntherodt, and G. Semenza, “Formation and in situ modification of monolayers chemisorbed on ultraflat template-stripped gold surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 3867–3875, 1995.
- L. J. Kepley, R. M. Crooks, and J. Antonio, “Selective surface acoustic wave-based organophosphonate chemical sensor employing a self-assembled composite monolayer: a new paradigm for sensor design,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 24, pp. 3191–3193, 1992.
- M. Hegner, P. Wagner, and G. Semenza, “Ultralarge atomically flat template-stripped Au surfaces for scanning probe microscopy,” Surface Science, vol. 291, no. 1-2, pp. 39–46, 1993.
- J. L. Wilbur, A. Kumar, E. Kim, and G. M. Whitesides, “Microfabrication by microcontact printing of self-assembled monolayers,” Advanced Materials, vol. 6, no. 7-8, pp. 600–604, 1994.
- S. Sundararajan and B. Bhushan, “Topography-induced contributions to friction forces measured using an atomic force/friction force microscope,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 4825–4831, 2000.
- L. Sirghi, “Effect of capillary-condensed water on the dynamic friction force at nanoasperity contacts,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 21, pp. 3755–3757, 2003.
- D. V. Vezenov, A. Noy, L. F. Rozsnyai, and C. M. Lieber, “Force titrations and ionization state sensitive imaging of functional groups in aqueous solutions by chemical force microscopy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 2006–2015, 1997.