- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 765430, 12 pages
A Study of the Persistence of Mycobacterium bovis in the Environment under Natural Weather Conditions in Michigan, USA
1Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences and Center for Comparative Epidemiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1314, USA
2Wildlife Conservation Society, P.O. Box 485, Post Office 38, Ulaanbaatar 211238, Mongolia
3Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health, Michigan State University, 4125 Beaumont Road, Lansing, MI 48910-8104, USA
4Department of Epidemiology, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, B601 West Fee Hall, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Received 4 January 2011; Accepted 16 February 2011
Academic Editor: Mitchell V. Palmer
Copyright © 2011 Amanda E. Fine et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [30 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Mark D. Schrenzel, “Molecular Epidemiology of Mycobacteriosis in Wildlife and Pet Animals,” Veterinary Clinics of North America - Exotic Animal Practice, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–23, 2012.
- Mitchell V. Palmer, Tyler C. Thacker, W. Ray Waters, Christian Gortázar, and Leigh A. L. Corner, “Mycobacterium bovis: A model pathogen at the interface of livestock, wildlife, and humans,” Veterinary Medicine International, 2012.
- W. David Walter, Charles W. Anderson, Rick Smith, Mike Vanderklok, James J. Averill, and Kurt C. Vercauteren, “On-farm mitigation of transmission of tuberculosis from white-tailed deer to cattle: Literature review and recommendations,” Veterinary Medicine International, vol. 2012, 2012.
- Richard S. Mwakapuja, Zachariah E. Makondo, Joseph Malakalinga, Irmgard Moser, Rudovick R. Kazwala, and Manfred Tanner, “Molecular characterization of Mycobacterium bovis isolates from pastoral livestock at Mikumi-Selous ecosystem in the eastern Tanzania,” Tuberculosis, 2013.
- C. Mardare, R. J. Delahay, and J. W. Dale, “Environmental amoebae do not support the long-term survival of virulent mycobacteria,” Journal Of Applied Microbiology, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 1388–1394, 2013.
- Joanne L. Hardstaff, Glenn Marion, Michael R. Hutchings, and Piran C.L. White, “Evaluating the Tuberculosis Hazard Posed to Cattle From Wildlife Across Europe,” Research in Veterinary Science, 2013.
- E. Kukielka, J. A. Barasona, C. E. Cowie, J. A. Drewe, C. Gortazar, I. Cotarelo, and J. Vicente, “Spatial and temporal interactions between livestock and wildlife in South Central Spain assessed by camera traps,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 112, no. 3-4, pp. 213–221, 2013.
- C. Gortazar, I. Diez-Delgado, B. Beltran-Beck, D. González-Barrio, J. Queirós, V. Montoro, J. de la Fuente, J. Vicente, J. A. Barasona, P. Acevedo, J. F. Ruiz-Fons, and M. Boadella, “Temporal Trend of Tuberculosis in Wild Ungulates from Mediterranean Spain,” Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, vol. 60, pp. 92–103, 2013.
- Angela P. Adams, Steven R. Bolin, Amanda E. Fine, Carole A. Bolin, and John B. Kaneene, “Comparison of PCR versus Culture for Detection of Mycobacterium bovis after Experimental Inoculation of Various Matrices Held under Environmental Conditions for Extended Periods,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 79, no. 20, pp. 6501–6506, 2013.
- Sydney Malama, John Bwalya Muma, and Jacques Godfroid, “A review of tuberculosis at the wildlife-livestock-human interface in Zambia,” Infectious Diseases of Poverty, vol. 2, 2013.
- Michele Miller, and Francisco Olea-Popelka, “One Health in the shrinking world: Experiences with tuberculosis at the human-livestock-wildlife interface,” Comparative Immunology Microbiology And Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 2013.
- J. Vicente, J. A. Barasona, N. Saklou, C. Gortazar, and K. C. VerCauteren, “Effectiveness of cattle operated bump gates and exclusion fences in preventing ungulate multi-host sanitary interaction,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 111, no. 1-2, pp. 42–50, 2013.
- C.E. Cowie, N. Marreos, C. Gortázar, R. Jaroso, P.C.L. White, and A. Balseiro, “Shared risk factors for multiple livestock diseases: a case study of bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis,” Research in Veterinary Science, 2014.
- S. Guta, J. Casal, A. Garcia-Saenz, J.L. Saez, A. Pacios, P. Garcia, S. Napp, and A. Allepuz, “Risk factors for bovine tuberculosis persistence in beef herds of Southern and Central Spain,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 2014.
- M. V. Palmer, M. R. Stafne, W. R. Waters, T. C. Thacker, and G. E. Phillips, “Testing a molasses-based bait for oral vaccination of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) against Mycobacterium bovis,” European Journal of Wildlife Research, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 265–270, 2014.
- Annette Roug, Deana Clifford, Jonna Mazet, Rudovick Kazwala, Julius John, Peter Coppolillo, and Woutrina Smith, “Spatial predictors of bovine tuberculosis infection and Brucella spp. exposure in pastoralist and agropastoralist livestock herds in the Ruaha ecosystem of Tanzania,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, 2014.
- W. David Walter, Rick Smith, Mike Vanderklok, and Kurt C. VerCauteren, “Linking Bovine Tuberculosis on Cattle Farms to White-Tailed Deer and Environmental Variables Using Bayesian Hierarchical Analysis,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 3, 2014.
- Herbert Brian Kazoora, Samuel Majalija, Noah Kiwanuka, and John Baligwamunsi Kaneene, “Prevalence of Mycobacterium bovis skin positivity and associated risk factors in cattle from Western Uganda,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1383–1390, 2014.
- R. Ghodbane, F. M. Medie, H. Lepidi, C. Nappez, and M. Drancourt, “Long-term survival of tuberculosis complex mycobacteria in soil,” Microbiology, vol. 160, no. Pt_3, pp. 496–501, 2014.
- Catherine E. Cowie, Christian Gortázar, Piran C.L. White, Michael R. Hutchings, and Joaquín Vicente, “Stakeholder opinions on the practicality of management interventions to control bovine tuberculosis,” The Veterinary Journal, 2015.
- Aisling Murray, Andrea Dineen, Pamela Kelly, Karen McGoey, Gillian Madigan, Eadaoin NiGhallchoir, and Danielle A. Gunn-Moore, “Nosocomial spread of Mycobacterium bovis in domestic cats,” Journal Of Feline Medicine And Surgery, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 173–180, 2015.
- A. El-Sayed, S. El-Shannat, M. Kamel, M. A. Castañeda-Vazquez, and H. Castañeda-Vazquez, “ Molecular Epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis in Humans and Cattle ,” Zoonoses and Public Health, 2015.
- J. A. Barasona, M. J. Torres, J. Aznar, C. Gortázar, and J. Vicente, “ DNA Detection Reveals Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex Shedding Routes in Its Wildlife Reservoir the Eurasian Wild Boar ,” Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 2015.
- Lauren A. White, James D. Forester, and Meggan E. Craft, “Using contact networks to explore mechanisms of parasite transmission in wildlife,” Biological Reviews, 2015.
- Ricardo Carrasco-Garcia, Jose Angel Barasona, Christian Gortazar, Vidal Montoro, Jose Manuel Sanchez-Vizcaino, and Joaquin Vicente, “Wildlife and livestock use of extensive farm resources in South Central Spain: implications for disease transmission,” European Journal of Wildlife Research, 2015.
- M. Muñoz-Mendoza, B. Romero, A. del Cerro, C. Gortázar, J. F. García-Marín, S. Menéndez, J. Mourelo, L. de Juan, J. L. Sáez, R. J. Delahay, and A. Balseiro, “Sheep as a Potential Source of Bovine TB: Epidemiology, Pathology and Evaluation of Diagnostic Techniques,” Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 2015.
- Rosie Woodroffe, Christl A. Donnelly, Cally Ham, Seth Y. B. Jackson, Kelly Moyes, Kayna Chapman, Naomi G. Stratton, and Samantha J. Cartwright, “Badgers prefer cattle pasture but avoid cattle: implications for bovine tuberculosis control,” Ecology Letters, 2016.
- E. Barbier, M.L. Boschiroli, E. Gueneau, M. Rochelet, A. Payne, K. de Cruz, A.L. Blieux, C. Fossot, and A. Hartmann, “ First molecular detection of Mycobacterium bovis in environmental samples from a French region with endemic bovine tuberculosis ,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 1193–1207, 2016.
- J. A. Barasona, J. Vicente, I. Díez-Delgado, J. Aznar, C. Gortázar, and M. J. Torres, “ Environmental Presence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex in Aggregation Points at the Wildlife/Livestock Interface ,” Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 2016.
- Elba Rodríguez-Hernández, Oscar E. Pizano-Martínez, Germinal Canto-Alarcón, Susana Flores-Villalva, Laura I. Quintas-Granados, and Feliciano Milián-Suazo, “Persistence of Mycobacterium bovis under environmental conditions,” Reviews in Medical Microbiology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2016.