Reporting to the Director of Open Science, the Solutions Analyst will focus on growing the understanding and use of data in relation to Open Science at Hindawi – playing a leading role in the Open Science Engagement team, including the ownership of policy implementation projects.
The Solutions Analyst will undertake research, data collection and analysis on the policy development, prioritization, design, implementation and effectiveness of Open Science policy at Hindawi. They will work closely with the Data & Ops and Open Science Engagement teams, as well as with colleagues in the wider Journal Development, Researcher & Publishing Services and Publishing Platforms teams.
They will also work with relevant external communities and actors to help develop evidence-informed open-science solutions for publishing. Using the Hindawi Google Cloud Platform instance as a base of operations, the post holder will design, build and manage solutions that will enhance the understanding of all researcher customers (authors, editors, reviewers and readers), as well as the growing institutional, funder and societal needs within the expanding Open Science landscape of scholarly communication.
The Solutions Analyst will also support the documenting and expanding the use of key assets, such as the Hindawi Intelligence Database, as well as developing various other reporting (open journal reports) and analysis capabilities. Committed to Open Access and Open Science, the Solutions Analyst will be a confident and organized thinker, with an excellent eye for detail and a flair for technology and visual representations This is an evidence-informed, project-based, developmental role, with a huge opportunity to learn on the job and create exciting new capabilities.
Policy Proposal Support
- Carry out research to provide an evidence base to support development of Open Science policy proposals
- Support to the Director of Open Science in the writing and structure of policy proposals
- Manage the development of solutions for implementing Open Science policy agreed by the Open Science Strategy board
- Build user cases and stories to support the development of solutions.
- Research industry (and wider) approaches to projects and investigating already available/adaptable data and solutions
- Sketch solutions out as flow diagrams – working with colleagues to check the logic and technology involved makes sense, is deliverable and within scope of the project.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure full understanding and expectations of solutions processes and outcomes
- Feedback plans to stakeholders, discussing ideas and taking onboard feedback before finalising implementation project plans
- Manage end-to-end implementation projects of Open Sci policy solutions, working with all relevant teams across Journal Development, Editorial & Publishing Operations and Publishing Partnerships
- Take project plans into prototype stage, testing thoroughly to understand potential issues
- Work with stakeholders to review and test prototypes
- Lead the build and deployment of final versions of solutions into relevant systems/workflows, ensuring the solution works and is robust
- Research and implement improvements as and when new technologies arise, or scope widens
- Implement and oversee the reporting of Open Science engagement projects/solutions
- Document new and existing solutions thoroughly – ensuring they are easily understood by wider-company and stored in a shared repository
- Maintain new and existing systems – diagnosing and resolving issues as and when required
Open Science Outreach
- Work with relevant external actors in scholarly communication to provide data on policy solutions and implementation
- Present data on Hindawi’s open-science policy solutions and implementation at key scholarly communication conferences.
Qualifications & experience:
Excellent organizational, communication, data visualization and documentation skills. A fundamental understanding of Python and SQL is required as well as some experience with Google Cloud Platform, particularly BigQuery and Compute Engine. Experience in research and/or scholarly publishing, along with an understanding of Open Science and the wider publishing and research landscape, are required.
The post-holder should also have demonstrable experience of working collaboratively with external actors on cross-organizational projects focused on open access/open science. A higher degree in Digital Science/Humanities and Digital Knowledge (or equivalent) is preferred.
The role holder is a high performing self-starter that responds well to autonomy and a varied workload and is excited about playing a pivotal role in understanding and engaging our researchers with open science – helping Hindawi lead the way in data-led, tech-first scholarly communication that puts the researcher at the heart of the process.
To apply for the position, please send your CV and cover letter, including salary expectations, notice period, and your motivation for working with us to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is Friday, October 1st.