- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 738954, 8 pages
Susceptibility to Stress Corrosion of Laser-Welded Composite Arch Wire in Acid Artificial Saliva
Orthodontic Department, Jilin University, No. 1500 Qinghua Street, Changchun 130021, China
Received 21 January 2013; Revised 22 May 2013; Accepted 30 May 2013
Academic Editor: Hamdy Doweidar
Copyright © 2013 Chao Zhang and Xinhua Sun. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. W. Chan, H. C. Man, and T. M. Yue, “Effect of post-weld heat-treatment on the oxide film and corrosion behaviour of laser-welded shape memory NiTi wires,” Corrosion Science, vol. 56, pp. 158–167, 2012.
- N. B. Morgan, “Medical shape memory alloy applications—the market and its products,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 378, no. 1-2, pp. 16–23, 2004.
- W. A. Brantley, Orthodontic Materials: Scientific and Clinical Aspects, Thieme, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- R. P. Kusy, “A review of contemporary archwires: their properties and characteristics,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 197–207, 1997.
- S. A. Thompson, “An overview of nickel-titanium alloys used in dentistry,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 297–310, 2000.
- N. J. Noolu, H. W. Kerr, Y. Zhou, and J. Xie, “Laser weldability of Pt and Ti alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 397, no. 1-2, pp. 8–15, 2005.
- D. Q. Sun and H. M. Li, “A new method of TINi shape memory alloy and austenitic stainless steel different Kind of material connection,” CN Patent, CNIO2152017, 2011.
- N. Schiff, B. Grosgogeat, M. Lissac, and F. Dalard, “Influence of fluoridated mouthwashes on corrosion resistance of orthodontics wires,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 4535–4542, 2004.
- G. Rondelli, “Corrosion resistance tests on NiTi shape memory alloy,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 2003–2008, 1996.
- Y. Okazaki and E. Gotoh, “Metal release from stainless steel, Co-Cr-Mo-Ni-Fe and Ni-Ti alloys in vascular implants,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 3429–3438, 2008.
- C. Liu, P. K. Chu, G. Lin, and D. Yang, “Effects of Ti/TiN multilayer on corrosion resistance of nickel-titanium orthodontic brackets in artificial saliva,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 3783–3796, 2007.
- H.-H. Huang, “Corrosion resistance of stressed NiTi and stainless steel orthodontic wires in acid artificial saliva,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 829–839, 2003.
- H.-H. Huang, “Surface characterizations and corrosion resistance of nickel-titanium orthodontic archwires in artificial saliva of various degrees of acidity,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 629–639, 2005.
- J. C. Wataha, “Biocompatibility of dental casting alloys: a review,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 223–234, 2000.
- J. C. Setcos, A. Babaei-Mahani, L. D. Silvio, I. A. Mjör, and N. H. F. Wilson, “The safety of nickel containing dental alloys,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1163–1168, 2006.
- J. Wang, N. Li, G. Rao, E.-H. Han, and W. Ke, “Stress corrosion cracking of NiTi in artificial saliva,” Dental Materials, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 133–137, 2007.
- J.-K. Liu, T.-M. Lee, and I.-H. Liu, “Effect of loading force on the dissolution behavior and surface properties of nickel-titanium orthodontic archwires in artificial saliva,” The American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 166–176, 2011.
- M. D. Ralph, T. D. Bold, and M. J. Johnson, Corrosion of Stainless Steel, Materials Park, Ohio, OH, USA, 1987.
- K. Y. Chiu, F. T. Cheng, and H. C. Man, “Corrosion behavior of AISI 316L stainless steel surface-modified with NiTi,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 200, no. 20-21, pp. 6054–6061, 2006.
- D. J. Wever, A. G. Veldhuizen, J. de Vries, H. J. Busscher, D. R. A. Uges, and J. R. van Horn, “Electrochemical and surface characterization of a nickel-titanium alloy,” Biomaterials, vol. 19, no. 7–9, pp. 761–769, 1998.
- K.-T. Oh, C.-J. Hwang, Y.-S. Park, and K.-N. Kim, “In vitro corrosion resistance of orthodontic super stainless steel wire. The effects of stress relieving heat-treatment,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 149, no. 9, pp. B414–B421, 2002.
- B. E. Wilde, “A critical appraisal of some popular laboratory electron chemical tests for predicting the localized corrosion resistance of stainless alloys in seawater,” Corrosion, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 283–291, 1972.
- A. Anderko, N. Sridhar, and D. S. Dunn, “A general model for the repassivation potential as a function of multiple aqueous solution species,” Corrosion Science, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1583–1612, 2004.
- H. Kim and J. W. Johnson, “Corrosion of stainless steel, nickel-titanium, coated nickel-titanium, and titanium orthodontic wires,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 1999.
- G. Rondelli and B. Vicentini, “Evaluation by electrochemical tests of the passive film stability of equiatomic Ni-Ti alloy also in presence of stress-induced martensite,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2000.
- D. Upadhyay, M. A. Panchal, R. S. Dubey, and V. K. Srivastava, “Corrosion of alloys used in dentistry: a review,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 432, no. 1-2, pp. 1–11, 2006.