- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 957852, 10 pages
Coupled TLC and MALDI-TOF/MS Analyses of the Lipid Extract of the Hyperthermophilic Archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus
1Department of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Piazza G. Cesare, 70124 Bari, Italy
2Institute for Microelectronics and Microsystems, IMM-CNR, National Research Council, 73100 Lecce, Italy
3Institute for Microbiology and Archaeal Centre, University of Regensburg, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
4Molecular Microbiology and Bioenergetics, Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Goethe University of Frankfurt, 60438 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
5Institute for Chemical-Physical Processes, IPCF-CNR, National Research Council, 70126 Bari, Italy
Received 16 July 2012; Accepted 27 September 2012
Academic Editor: Yosuke Koga
Copyright © 2012 Simona Lobasso et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Fiala and K. O. Stetter, “Pyrococcus furiosus sp. nov. represents a novel genus of marine heterotrophic archaebacteria growing optimally at 100 °C,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 56–61, 1986.
- S. D. Hamilton-Brehm, G. J. Schut, and M. W. W. Adams, “Metabolic and evolutionary relationships among Pyrococcus species: genetic exchange within a hydrothermal vent environment,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 187, no. 21, pp. 7492–7499, 2005.
- G. J. Schut, S. L. Bridger, and M. W. W. Adams, “Insights into the metabolism of elemental sulfur by the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus: characterization of a coenzyme A-dependent NAD(P)H sulfur oxidoreductase,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 189, no. 12, pp. 4431–4441, 2007.
- S. Mukund and M. W. W. Adams, “The novel tungsten-iron-sulfur protein of the hyperthermophilic archaebacterium, Pyrococcus furiosus, is an aldehyde ferredoxin oxidoreductase: evidence for its participation in a unique glycolytic pathway,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 266, no. 22, pp. 14208–14216, 1991.
- J. Vonck, K. Y. Pisa, N. Morgner, B. Brutschy, and V. Müller, “Three-dimensional structure of A1A0 ATP synthase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus by electron microscopy,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 15, pp. 10110–10119, 2009.
- F. T. Robb, D. L. Maeder, J. R. Brown et al., “Genomic sequence of hyperthermophile, Pyrococcus furiosus: implications for physiology and enzymology,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 330, pp. 134–157, 2001.
- T. A. Langworthy, “Lipids of archaebacteria,” in The Bacteria—A Treatise on Structure and Function, Volume 8: Archaebacteria, R. S. Wolfe and C. R. Woese, Eds., pp. 459–497, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- M. Kates, “Membrane lipids of archaea,” in The Biochemistry of Archaea (Archaebacteria), M. Kates, D. J. Kushner, and A. T. Matheson, Eds., pp. 261–295, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.
- Y. Koga, M. Nishihara, H. Morii, and M. Akagawa-Matsushita, “Ether polar lipids of methanogenic bacteria: structures, comparative aspects, and biosyntheses,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 164–182, 1993.
- A. Corcelli, M. Colella, G. Mascolo, F. P. Fanizzi, and M. Kates, “A novel glycolipid and phospholipid in the purple membrane,” Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 3318–3326, 2000.
- A. Corcelli, “The cardiolipin analogues of Archaea,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1788, no. 10, pp. 2101–2106, 2009.
- A. Corcelli, V. M. T. Lattanzio, and A. Oren, “The archaeal cardiolipins of the extreme halophiles,” in Halophilic Microorganisms, A. Ventosa, Ed., pp. 2101–2106, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- G. D. Sprott, S. Larocque, N. Cadotte, C. J. Dicaire, M. McGee, and J. R. Brisson, “Novel polar lipids of halophilic eubacterium Planococcus H8 and archaeon Haloferax volcanii,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1633, no. 3, pp. 179–188, 2003.
- S. Lobasso, P. Lopalco, V. M. T. Lattanzio, and A. Corcelli, “Osmotic shock induces the presence of glycocardiolipin in the purple membrane of Halobacterium salinarum,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2120–2126, 2003.
- P. Lopalco, S. Lobasso, F. Babudri, and A. Corcelli, “Osmotic shock stimulates de novo synthesis of two cardiolipins in an extreme halophilic archaeon,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 194–201, 2004.
- R. Angelini, P. Corral, P. Lopalco, A. Ventosa, and A. Corcelli, “Novel ether lipid cardiolipins in archaeal membranes of extreme haloalkaliphiles,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1818, no. 5, pp. 1365–1373, 2012.
- M. de Rosa, A. Gambacorta, A. Trincone, A. Basso, W. Zilig, and I. Holz, “Lipids of Thermococcus celer, a sulfur-reducing archaebacterium: structure and biosynthesis,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 1-2, pp. 1–5, 1987.
- V. Lanzotti, A. Trincone, B. Nicolaus, W. Zillig, M. de Rosa, and A. Gambacorta, “Complex lipids of Pyrococcus and AN1, thermophilic members of archaebcteria belonging to Thermococcales,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1004, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 1989.
- G. Erauso, A. L. Reysenbach, A. Godfroy et al., “Pyrococcus abyssi sp. nov., a new hyperthermophilic archaeon isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 160, no. 5, pp. 338–349, 1993.
- G. D. Sprott, B. J. Agnew, and G. B. Patel, “Structural features of ether lipids in the archaeobacterial thermophiles Pyrococcus furiosus, Methanopyrus kandleri, Methanothermus fervidus, and Sulfolobus acidocaldarius,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 467–476, 1997.
- G. Huber, E. Drobner, H. Huber, and K. O. Stetter, “Growth by aerobic oxidation of molecular hydrogen in Archaea—a metabolic property so far unknown for this domain,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 502–504, 1992.
- E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer, “A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification,” Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 911–917, 1959.
- M. Kates, “Techniques of lipidology,” in Laboratory Techniques in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, H. Burdon and P. H. van Knippenberg, Eds., pp. 100–110, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1986.
- B. Fuchs, J. Schiller, R. Süß, M. Schürenberg, and D. Suckau, “A direct and simple method of coupling matrix-assisted laser desorption and ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) to thin-layer chromatography (TLC) for the analysis of phospholipids from egg yolk,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 389, no. 3, pp. 827–834, 2007.
- G. Sun, K. Yang, Z. Zhao, S. Guan, X. Han, and R. W. Gross, “Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometric analysis of cellular glycerophospholipids enabled by multiplexed solvent dependent analyte-matrix interactions,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 80, no. 19, pp. 7576–7585, 2008.
- R. Angelini, R. Vitale, V. A. Patil et al., “Lipidomics of intact mitochondria by MALDI-TOF/MS,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 1417–1425, 2012.
- B. Fuchs, C. Schober, G. Richter, R. Süß, and J. Schiller, “MALDI-TOF MS of phosphatidylethanolamines: different adducts cause different post source decay (PSD) fragment ion spectra,” Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 689–692, 2007.
- M. Nishihara and Y. Koga, “Extraction and composition of polar lipids from the archaebacterium, Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum: effective extraction of tetraether lipids by an acidified solvent,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 997–1005, 1987.
- A. Sugai, I. Uda, Y. H. Itoh, and T. Itoh, “The core lipid composition of the 17 strains of hyperthermophilic archaea, Thermococcales,” Journal of Oleo Science, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 41–44, 2004.
- M. Y. Yoshinaga, L. Wörmer, M. Elvert, and K.-U. Hinrichs, “Novel cardiolipins from uncultured methane-metabolizing Archaea,” Archaea, vol. 2012, Article ID 832097, 9 pages, 2012.
- M. Schlame, D. Rua, and M. L. Greenberg, “The biosynthesis and functional role of cardiolipin,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 257–288, 2000.
- E. Mileykovskaya, M. Zhang, and W. Dowhan, “Cardiolipin in energy transducing membranes,” Biochemistry, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 154–158, 2005.
- A. Corcelli, S. Lobasso, L. L. Palese, M. S. Saponetti, and S. Papa, “Cardiolipin is associated with the terminal oxidase of an extremely halophilic archaeon,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 354, no. 3, pp. 795–801, 2007.
- A. Corcelli, S. Lobasso, M. S. Saponetti, A. Leopold, and N. A. Dencher, “Glycocardiolipin modulates the surface interaction of the proton pumped by bacteriorhodopsin in purple membrane preparations,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1768, no. 9, pp. 2157–2163, 2007.