- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 497219, 11 pages
Immunization with a Mixture of HIV Env DNA and VLP Vaccines Augments Induction of CD8 T Cell Responses
1Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Emory Vaccine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, 1510 Clifton Road, Room 3086 Rollins Research Center, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
2Agriculture Ministry Key Laboratory of Veterinary Public Health, Harbin Veterinary Research Institute, CAAS, 427 Maduan Street, Harbin 150001, China
3Central Laboratory, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, No. 1 Xinsi Road, Xi'an 710038, China
4Department of Infectious Diseases, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, No. 1 Xinsi Road, Xi'an 710038, China
Received 30 November 2009; Revised 27 February 2010; Accepted 2 March 2010
Academic Editor: Hanchun Yang
Copyright © 2010 Ling Ye et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Cohen, “Clinical research. A setback and an advance on the AIDS vaccine front,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5616, pp. 28–29, 2003.
- R. N. Germain and D. H. Margulies, “The biochemistry and cell biology and antigen processing and presentation,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 11, pp. 403–450, 1993.
- P. Pitisuttithum, P. Gilbert, M. Gurwith, et al., “Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled efficacy trial of a bivalent recombinant glycoprotein 120 HIV-1 vaccine among injection drug users in Bangkok, Thailand,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 194, no. 12, pp. 1661–1671, 2006.
- R. R. Amara, F. Villinger, J. D. Altman, et al., “Control of a mucosal challenge and prevention of AIDS by a multiprotein DNA/MVA vaccine,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5514, pp. 69–74, 2001.
- D. H. Barouch, et al., “Vaccine-elicited immune responses prevent clinical AIDS in SHIV(89.6P)-infected rhesus monkeys,” Immunology Letters, vol. 79, no. 1-2, pp. 57–61, 2001.
- N. F. Rose, P. A. Marx, A. Luckay, et al., “An effective AIDS vaccine based on live attenuated vesicular stomatitis virus recombinants,” Cell, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 539–549, 2001.
- J. W. Shiver, T.-M. Fu, L. Chen, et al., “Replication-incompetent adenoviral vaccine vector elicits effective anti-immunodeficiency-virus immunity,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6869, pp. 331–335, 2002.
- F. Miedema, “A brief history of HIV vaccine research: stepping back to the drawing board?” AIDS, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. 1699–1703, 2008.
- D. R. Burton, R. C. Desrosiers, R. W. Doms, et al., “HIV vaccine design and the neutralizing antibody problem,” Nature Immunology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 233–236, 2004.
- N. L. Letvin and B. D. Walker, “Immunopathogenesis and immunotherapy in AIDS virus infections,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 861–866, 2003.
- A. J. McMichael and T. Hanke, “HIV vaccines 1983–2003,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 874–880, 2003.
- G. J. Nabel, “Challenges and opportunities for development of an AIDS vaccine,” Nature, vol. 410, no. 6831, pp. 1002–1007, 2001.
- J. J. Donnelly, J. B. Ulmer, J. W. Shiver, and M. A. Liu, “DNA vaccines,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 15, pp. 617–648, 1997.
- S. Gurunathan, D. M. Klinman, and R. A. Seder, “DNA vaccines: immunology, application, and optimization,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 18, pp. 927–974, 2000.
- D. J. Shedlock and D. B. Weiner, “DNA vaccination: antigen presentation and the induction of immunity,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 793–806, 2000.
- M. Dupuis, K. Denis-Mize, C. Woo, et al., “Distribution of DNA vaccines determines their immunogenicity after intramuscular injection in mice,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 165, no. 5, pp. 2850–2858, 2000.
- R. Noad and P. Roy, “Virus-like particles as immunogens,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 438–444, 2003.
- C. Yang, L. Ye, and R. W. Compans, “Protection against filovirus infection: virus-like particle vaccines,” Expert Review of Vaccines, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 333–344, 2008.
- Q. Yao, Z. Bu, A. Vzorov, C. Yang, and R. W. Compans, “Virus-like particle and DNA-based candidate AIDS vaccines,” Vaccine, vol. 21, no. 7-8, pp. 638–643, 2003.
- M. F. Bachmann, U. H. Rohrer, T. M. Kundig, K. Burki, H. Hengartner, and R. M. Zinkernagel, “The influence of antigen organization on B cell responsiveness,” Science, vol. 262, no. 5138, pp. 1448–1451, 1993.
- M. F. Bachmann, H. Hengartner, and R. M. Zinkernagel, “T helper cell-independent neutralizing B cell response against vesicular stomatitis virus: role of antigen patterns in B cell induction?” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 3445–3451, 1995.
- L. Deml, G. Kratochwil, N. Osterrieder, R. Knüchel R, H. Wolf, and R. Wagner, “Increased incorporation of chimeric human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gp120 proteins into Pr55(gag) virus-like particles by an Epstein-Barr virus gp220/350-derived transmembrane domain,” Virology, vol. 235, no. 1, pp. 10–25, 1997.
- F. Notka, C. Stahl-Hennig, U. Dittmer, H. Wolf, and R. Wagner, “Accelerated clearance of SHIV in rhesus monkeys by virus-like particle vaccines is dependent on induction of neutralizing antibodies,” Vaccine, vol. 18, no. 3-4, pp. 291–301, 1999.
- L. Deml, C. Speth, M. P. Dierich, H. Wolf, and R. Wagner, “Recombinant HIV-1 Pr55gag virus-like particles: potent stimulators of innate and acquired immune responses,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 259–277, 2005.
- L. X. Doan, M. Li, C. Chen, and Q. Yao, “Virus-like particles as HIV-1 vaccines,” Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 75–88, 2005.
- Z. Bu, L. Ye, A. Vzorov, D. Taylor, R. W. Compans, and C. Yang, “Enhancement of immunogenicity of an HIV Env DNA vaccine by mutation of the Tyr-based endocytosis motif in the cytoplasmic domain,” Virology, vol. 328, no. 1, pp. 62–73, 2004.
- G. V. Yamshchikov, G. D. Ritter, M. Vey, and R. W. Compans, “Assembly of SIV virus-like particles containing envelope proteins using a baculovirus expression system,” Virology, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 50–58, 1995.
- Q. Yao, F. M. Kuhlmann, R. Eller, R. W. Compans, and C. Chen, “Production and characterization of simian-human immunodeficiency virus-like particles,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 227–236, 2000.
- Z. Bu, L. Ye, M. J. Skeen, H. K. Ziegler, R. W. Compans, and C. Yang, “Enhancement of immune responses to an HIV env DNA vaccine by a C-terminal segment of listeriolysin O,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 409–420, 2003.
- L. Ye, Z. Bu, A. Vzorov, D. Taylor, R. W. Compans, and C. Yang, “Surface stability and immunogenicity of the human immunodeficiency virus envelope glycoprotein: role of the cytoplasmic domain,” Journal of Virology, vol. 78, no. 24, pp. 13409–13419, 2004.
- M. B. Lutz, N. Kukutsch, A. L. J. Ogilvie, et al., “An advanced culture method for generating large quantities of highly pure dendritic cells from mouse bone marrow,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 223, no. 1, pp. 77–92, 1999.
- Q. Yao, R. Zhang, L. Guo, M. Li, and C. Chen, “Th cell-independent immune responses to chimeric hemagglutinin/simian human immunodeficiency virus-like particles vaccine,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 1951–1958, 2004.
- M. P. Girard, S. K. Osmanov, and M. P. Kieny, “A review of vaccine research and development: the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV),” Vaccine, vol. 24, no. 19, pp. 4062–4081, 2006.
- D. C. Montefiori, J. T. Safrit, S. L. Lydy, et al., “Induction of neutralizing antibodies and Gag-specific cellular immune responses to an R5 primary isolate of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in rhesus macaques,” Journal of Virology, vol. 75, no. 13, pp. 5879–5890, 2001.
- J. S. Boyle, A. Silva, J. L. Brady, and A. M. Lew, “DNA immunization: induction of higher avidity antibody and effect of route on T cell cytotoxicity,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 26, pp. 14626–14631, 1997.
- D. R. Drew, M. Lightowlers, and R. A. Strugnell, “Humoral immune responses to DNA vaccines expressing secreted, membrane bound and non-secreted forms of the Taenia ovis 45W antigen,” Vaccine, vol. 18, no. 23, pp. 2522–2532, 2000.
- T. R. Mosmann and R. L. Coffman, “TH1 and TH2 cells: different patterns of lymphokine secretion lead to different functional properties,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 7, pp. 145–173, 1989.
- D. R. Milich, F. Schodel, J. L. Hughes, J. E. Jones, and D. L. Peterson, “The hepatitis B virus core and e antigens elicit different Th cell subsets: antigen structure can affect Th cell phenotype,” Journal of Virology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 2192–2201, 1997.
- S. Zhang, R. Cubas, M. Li, C. Chen, and Q. Yao, “Virus-like particle vaccine activates conventional B2 cells and promotes B cell differentiation to IgG2a producing plasma cells,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1988–2001, 2009.
- S. Romagnani, M. H. Kaplan, and M. J. Grusby, “Understanding the role of Th1/Th2 cells in infection,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 470–473, 1996.
- G. Gregoriadis, A. Bacon, W. Caparros-Wanderley, and B. McCormack, “A role for liposomes in genetic vaccination,” Vaccine, vol. 20, supplement 5, pp. B1–B9, 2002.
- D. M. Da Silva, M. P. Velders, J. D. Nieland, J. T. Schiller, B. J. Nickoloff, and W. M. Kast, “Physical interaction of human papillomavirus virus-like particles with immune cells,” International Immunology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 633–641, 2001.
- C. Ruedl, T. Storni, F. Lechner, T. Bachi, and M. F. Bachmann, “Cross-presentation of virus-like particles by skin-derived CD8- dendritic cells: a dispensable role for TAP,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 818–825, 2002.