- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 185683, 8 pages
Cardiac Imaging Using Clinical 1.5 T MRI Scanners in a Murine Ischemia/Reperfusion Model
1Department of Internal Medicine III (Cardiology), Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstr. 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
2Department of Radiology I, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstr. 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Received 13 July 2010; Accepted 26 October 2010
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2011 Jakob G. J. Voelkl et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Carmeliet and D. Collen, “Transgenic mouse models in angiogenesis and cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 190, no. 3, pp. 387–405, 2000.
- P. Balakumar, A. P. Singh, and M. Singh, “Rodent models of heart failure,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2007.
- J. N. Rottman, G. Ni, and M. Brown, “Echocardiographic evaluation of ventricular function in mice,” Echocardiography, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 2007.
- M. Nahrendorf, K.-H. Hiller, K. Hu, G. Ertl, A. Haase, and W. R. Bauer, “Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in small animal models of human heart failure,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 369–375, 2003.
- F. H. Epstein, “MR in mouse models of cardiac disease,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 238–255, 2007.
- C. Chapon, A. H. Herlihy, and K. K. Bhakoo, “Assessment of myocardial infarction in mice by late gadolinium enhancement MR imaging using an inversion recovery pulse sequence at 9.4T,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 10, no. 1, article 6, 2008.
- J. N. Oshinski, Z. Yang, J. R. Jones, J. F. Mata, and B. A. French, “Imaging time after Gd-DTPA injection is critical in using delayed enhancement to determine infarct size accurately with magnetic resonance imaging,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 23, pp. 2838–2842, 2001.
- K. Klug, G. Gert, and G. Gert, “Murine atherosclerotic plaque imaging with the USPIO Ferumoxtran-10,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 14, pp. 2546–2552, 2009.
- C. J. Berry, J. D. Miller, K. McGroary, D. R. Thedens, S. G. Young, D. D. Heistad, and R. M. Weiss, “Biventricular adaptation to volume overload in mice with aortic regurgitation,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 27, 2009.
- T. Arai, T. Kofidis, and T. Kofidis, “Dual in vivo magnetic resonance evaluation of magnetically labeled mouse embryonic stem cells and cardiac function at 1.5 T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 203–209, 2006.
- W. D. Gilson and D. L. Kraitchman, “Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in small rodents using clinical 1.5 T and 3.0 T scanners,” Methods, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 2007.
- F. Franco, S. K. Dubois, R. M. Peshock, and R. V. Shohet, “Magnetic resonance imaging accurately estimates LV mass in a transgenic mouse model of cardiac hypertrophy,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 2, pp. H679–H683, 1998.
- F. Franco, G. D. Thomas, and G. D. Thomas, “Magnetic resonance imaging and invasive evaluation of development of heart failure in transgenic mice with myocardial expression of tumor necrosis factor-α,” Circulation, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 448–454, 1999.
- L. H. Michael, M. L. Entman, and M. L. Entman, “Myocardial ischemia and reperfusion: a murine model,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 269, no. 6, pp. H2147–H2154, 1995.
- R. J. Kim, D. S. Fieno, and D. S. Fieno, “Relationship of MRI delayed contrast enhancement to irreversible injury, infarct age, and contractile function,” Circulation, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. 1992–2002, 1999.
- B. Metzler, B. Haubner, and B. Haubner, “Myocardial ischaemia-reperfusion injury in haematopoietic cell-restricted β1 integrin knockout mice,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 825–833, 2008.
- B. J. Haubner, G. G. Neely, and G. G. Neely, “PI3Kγ protects from myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury through a kinase-independent pathway,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 2, article e9350, 2010.
- B. Metzler, J. Mair, A. Lercher, C. Schaber, F. Hintringer, O. Pachinger, and Q. Xu, “Mouse model of myocardial remodelling after ischemia: role of intercellular adhesion molecule-1,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 399–407, 2001.
- ImageJ software, http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij.
- D. M. Roth, J. S. Swaney, N. D. Dalton, E. A. Gilpin, and J. Ross Jr., “Impact of anesthesia on cardiac function during echocardiography in mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 6, pp. H2134–H2140, 2002.
- M. Siragusa, R. Katare, M. Meloni, F. Damilano, E. Hirsch, C. Emanueli, and P. Madeddu, “Involvement of phosphoinositide 3-kinase γ in angiogenesis and healing of experimental myocardial infarction in mice,” Circulation Research, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 757–768, 2010.
- J. Weiss and F. Zimmermann, “Tribromoethanol (Avertin) as an anaesthetic in mice (multiple letters),” Laboratory Animals, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 192–193, 1999.
- W. Zeller, G. Meier, K. Bürki, and B. Panoussis, “Adverse effects of tribromoethanol as used in the production of transgenic mice,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 407–413, 1998.
- C. Y. T. Hart, J. C. Burnett Jr., and M. M. Redfield, “Effects of avertin versus xylazine-ketamine anesthesia on cardiac function in normal mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 5, pp. H1938–H1945, 2001.
- G. Klug, T. Trieb, and T. Trieb, “Quantification of regional functional improvement of infarcted myocardium after primary PTCA by contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 298–304, 2009.
- P. Kellman, A. E. Arai, E. R. McVeigh, and A. H. Aletras, “Phase-sensitive inversion recovery for detecting myocardial infarction using gadolinium-delayed hyperenhancement,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 372–383, 2002.
- Z. Yang, S. S. Berr, W. D. Gilson, M.-C. Toufektsian, and B. A. French, “Simultaneous evaluation of infarct size and cardiac function in intact mice by contrast-enhanced cardiac magnetic resonance imaging reveals contractile dysfunction in noninfarcted regions early after myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 1161–1167, 2004.
- A. Mayr, J. Mair, and J. Mair, “Predictive value of NT-pro BNP after acute myocardial infarction: relation with acute and chronic infarct size and myocardial function,” International Journal of Cardiology, 2009.
- C. J. Berry, D. R. Thedens, K. A. Light-McGroary, J. D. Miller, W. Kutschke, K. A. Zimmerman, and R. M. Weiss, “Effects of deep sedation or general anesthesia on cardiac function in mice undergoing cardiovascular magnetic resonance,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 11, no. 1, article 16, 2009.
- F. Kober, I. Iltis, P. J. Cozzone, and M. Bernard, “Cine-MRI assessment of cardiac function in mice anesthetized with ketamine/xylazine and isoflurane,” Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine, vol. 17, no. 3–6, pp. 157–161, 2004.