- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 245728, 9 pages
Bronchiolitis Obliterans Organizing Pneumonia in Swine Associated with Porcine Circovirus Type 2 Infection
1Department of Education and Research, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, 160, Section 3 Taichungkang Road, Taichung 40705, Taiwan
2Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung 40227, Taiwan
3Division of Critical Care and Respiratory Therapy, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung 40705, Taiwan
4Department of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung 40227, Taiwan
Received 24 June 2010; Revised 11 August 2010; Accepted 7 September 2010
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2011 Ching-Chang Cheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Lange, “Ueber eine eigenthumliche Erkrankung der kleinen Bronchien und Bronchilen,” Deutsches Archiv für Klinische Medizin, vol. 70, pp. 324–364, 1901.
- G. R. Epler, T. V. Colby, T. C. McLoud, C. B. Carrington, and E. A. Gaensler, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 312, no. 3, pp. 152–158, 1985.
- G. R. Epler, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia: definition and clinical features,” Chest, vol. 102, supplement 1, pp. 2S–6S, 1992.
- N. Rose, G. Larour, G. Le Diguerher et al., “Risk factors for porcine post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS) in 149 French farrow-to-finish herds,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 209–225, 2003.
- S. López-Soria, J. Segalés, N. Rose et al., “An exploratory study on risk factors for postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS) in Spain,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 69, no. 1-2, pp. 97–107, 2005.
- F. Madec, N. Rose, B. Grasland, R. Cariolet, and A. Jestin, “Post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome and other PCV2-related problems in pigs: a 12-year experience,” Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 273–283, 2008.
- J. Segalés, G. M. Allan, and M. Domingo, “Porcine circovirus diseases,” Animal Health Research Reviews, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 119–142, 2005.
- M. Corbel, V. Lagente, N. Théret, N. Germain, B. Clément, and E. Boichot, “Comparative effects of betamethasone, cyclosporin and nedocromil sodium in acute pulmonary inflammation and metalloproteinase activities in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from mice exposed to lipopolysaccharide,” Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 165–171, 1999.
- W. C. Parks and S. D. Shapiro, “Matrix metalloproteinases in lung biology,” Respiratory Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 10–19, 2001.
- M. Corbel, E. Boichot, and V. Lagente, “Role of gelatinases MMP-2 and MMP-9 in tissue remodeling following acute lung injury,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 749–754, 2000.
- R. L. Warner, L. Beltran, E. M. Younkin et al., “Role of stromelysin 1 and gelatinase B in experimental acute lung injury,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 537–544, 2001.
- Y. Lenga, A. Koh, A. S. Perera, C. A. McCulloch, J. Sodek, and R. Zohar, “Osteopontin expression is required for myofibroblast differentiation,” Circulation Research, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 319–327, 2008.
- F. Takahashi, K. Takahashi, T. Okazaki et al., “Role of osteopontin in the pathogenesis of bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 264–271, 2001.
- S. Cao, H. Chen, J. Zhao et al., “Detection of porcine circovirus type 2, porcine parvovirus and porcine pseudorabies virus from pigs with postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome by multiplex PCR,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 263–269, 2005.
- C. H. Pan, M. H. Jong, T. S. Huang, H. F. Liu, S. Y. Lin, and S. S. Lai, “Phylogenetic analysis of classical swine fever virus in Taiwan,” Archives of Virology, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 1101–1119, 2005.
- C.-S. Lee, H.-J. Moon, J.-S. Yang et al., “Multiplex PCR for the simultaneous detection of pseudorabies virus, porcine cytomegalovirus, and porcine circovirus in pigs,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2007.
- Y. Kaku, A. Sarai, and Y. Murakami, “Genetic reclassification of porcine enteroviruses,” The Journal of General Virology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 417–424, 2001.
- A. Mankertz, M. Domingo, J. M. Folch et al., “Characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from Spain, Germany and France,” Virus Research, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 65–77, 2000.
- Y. Otagiri, T. Asai, M. Okada et al., “Detection of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae in lung and nasal swab samples from pigs by nested PCR and culture methods,” The Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 801–805, 2005.
- S.-H. Kim, I.-J. Kim, H.-M. Pyo, D.-S. Tark, J.-Y. Song, and B.-H. Hyun, “Multiplex real-time RT-PCR for the simultaneous detection and quantification of transmissible gastroenteritis virus and porcine epidemic diarrhea virus,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 146, no. 1-2, pp. 172–177, 2007.
- T. Jung, C. Choi, and C. Chae, “Localization of swine influenza virus in naturally infected pigs,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2002.
- Y.-T. Chiu, S.-K. Liu, M. Liu et al., “Characterization and quantitation of extracellular collagen matrix in myocardium of pigs with spontaneously occurring hypertrophic cardiomyopathy,” Cardiovascular Pathology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 169–175, 1999.
- P. Steven, F. Paulsen, and B. Tillmann, “Orcein-picroindigocarmine—a new multiple stain,” Archives of Histology and Cytology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 397–400, 2000.
- H. Erdost, “Immunohistochemical distribution of prolactin containing cells in the pituitary of the chickens,” Veterinarni Medicina, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 225–229, 2005.
- C.-C. Cheng, K.-C. Tung, Y.-C. Fu et al., “Activated matrix metalloproteinase and disrupted myocardial collagen matrix in increased sympathetic activity following stimulation of dorsal medulla in the vagotomized feline model,” Chinese Journal of Physiology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2008.
- C. J. Schulze, W. Wang, W. L. Suarez-Pinzon, J. Sawicka, G. Sawicki, and R. Schulz, “Imbalance between tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-4 and matrix metalloproteinases during acute myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 19, pp. 2487–2492, 2003.
- J. D. Goldstein, J. J. Godleski, J. P. Balikian, and P. G. Herman, “Pathologic patterns of Serratia marcescens pneumonia,” Human Pathology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 479–484, 1982.
- P. Sato, D. K. Madtes, D. Thorning, and R. K. Albert, “Bronchiolitis obliterans caused by Legionella pneumophila,” Chest, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 840–842, 1985.
- M. Camp, J. B. Mehta, and M. Whitson, “Bronchiolitis obliterans and Nocardia asteroides infection of the lung,” Chest, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1107–1108, 1987.
- C. F. Carey, L. Mueller, C. L. Fotopoulos, and L. Dall, “Bronchiolitis obliterans-organizing pneumonia associated with Cryptococcus neoformans infection,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1253–1254, 1991.
- E. Perämäki, I. Salmi, T. Kava, T. Romppanen, and T. Hakkarainen, “Unilateral bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia and bronchoalveolar lavage neutrophilia in a patient with parainfluenza 3 virus infection,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 159–161, 1991.
- N. J. Sanito, T. F. Morley, and D. V. Condoluci, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia in an AIDS patient,” The European Respiratory Journal, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1021–1024, 1995.
- F. J. Khater, J. P. Moorman, J. W. Myers, G. Youngberg, and F. A. Sarubbi, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia as a manifestation of AIDS: case report and literature review,” The Journal of Infection, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 2004.
- J.-L. Diehl, M. Gisselbrecht, G. Meyer, D. Israel-Biet, and H. Sors, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia associated with chlamydial infection,” The European Respiratory Journal, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1320–1322, 1996.
- J. M. Llibre, A. Urban, E. Garcia, M. A. Carrasco, and C. Murcia, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia associated with acute Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1340–1342, 1997.
- R. Kleindienst, F. Fend, C. Prior, R. Margreiter, and W. Vogel, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia associated with Pneumocystis carinii infection in a liver transplant patient receiving tacrolimus,” Clinical Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 1 part 1, pp. 65–67, 1999.
- D. J. Ross, R. C. K. Chan, B. Kubak, H. Laks, and W. S. Nichols, “Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia: possible association with human herpesvirus-7 infection after lung transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 2603–2606, 2001.
- L. A. Pérez de Llano, A. V. Racamonde, M. J. Bande, M. O. Piquer, F. B. Nieves, and A. R. Feijoo, “Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia associated with acute Coxiella burnetii infection,” Respiration, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 425–427, 2001.
- G. M.-K. Tse, K.-F. To, P. K.-S. Chan et al., “Pulmonary pathological features in coronavirus associated severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS),” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 260–265, 2004.
- K. Hamada, S. Nagai, Y. Hara, T. Hirai, and M. Mishima, “Pulmonary infection of Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare complex with simultaneous organizing pneumonia,” Internal Medicine, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2006.
- S. H. Yale, A. Adlakha, T. J. Sebo, and J. H. Ryu, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia caused by Plasmodium vivax malaria,” Chest, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 1294–1296, 1993.
- W. L. Castleman, “Bronchiolitis obliterans and pneumonia induced in young dogs by experimental adenovirus infection,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 495–504, 1985.
- R. Grad, R. E. Sobonya, M. L. Witten et al., “Localization of inflammation and virions in canine adenovirus type 2 bronchiolitis,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 691–699, 1990.
- S. F. Quan, R. J. Lemen, M. L. Witten et al., “Changes in lung mechanics and reactivity with age after viral bronchiolitis in beagle puppies,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 2034–2042, 1990.
- B. K. Kirchner, C. D. Port, T. J. Magoc, M. A. Sidor, and Z. Ruben, “Spontaneous bronchopneumonia in laboratory dogs infected with untyped Mycoplasma spp,” Laboratory Animal Science, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 625–628, 1990.
- S. Philippou, P. Otto, P. Reinhold, M. Elschner, and H.-J. Streckert, “Respiratory syncytial virus-induced chronic bronchiolitis in experimentally infected calves,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 436, no. 6, pp. 617–621, 2000.
- X. Li, S. Botts, D. Morton, M. J. Knickerbocker, and R. Adler, “Oleic acid-associated bronchiolitis obliterans-organizing pneumonia in beagle dogs,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 183–185, 2006.
- E. I. Majeski, M. K. Paintlia, A. D. Lopez, R. A. Harley, S. D. London, and L. London, “Respiratory reovirus 1/L induction of intraluminal fibrosis, a model of bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia, is dependent on T lymphocytes,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 1467–1479, 2003.
- J. Quintana, J. Segalés, C. Rosell et al., “Clinical and pathological observations on pigs with postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome,” The Veterinary Record, vol. 149, no. 12, pp. 357–361, 2001.
- G. M. Allan and J. A. Ellis, “Porcine circoviruses: a review,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2000.
- J. Kim, H.-K. Chung, and C. Chae, “Association of porcine circovirus 2 with porcine respiratory disease complex,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 251–256, 2003.
- J. Segalés, C. Rosell, and M. Domingo, “Pathological findings associated with naturally acquired porcine circovirus type 2 associated disease,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 137–149, 2004.
- R. Magar, R. Larochelle, S. Thibault, and L. Lamontagne, “Experimental transmission of porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2) in weaned pigs: a sequential study,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 258–269, 2000.
- P. A. Harms, S. D. Sorden, P. G. Halbur et al., “Experimental reproduction of severe disease in CD/CD pigs concurrently infected with type 2 porcine circovirus and porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 528–539, 2001.
- A. Rovira, M. Balasch, J. Segalés et al., “Experimental inoculation of conventional pigs with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus and porcine circovirus 2,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 3232–3239, 2002.
- J. L. Daft, J. Kevin Cline, R. E. Palmer, R. L. Sisk, and K. R. Griffitt, “Estimated content percentages of volatile liquids and fat extractables in ready-to-eat foods,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 175–186, 1996.
- P. LeCann, E. Albina, F. Madec, R. Cariolet, and A. Jestin, “Piglet wasting disease,” The Veterinary record, vol. 141, no. 25, p. 660, 1997.
- S. Kennedy, G. Allan, F. McNeilly, B. M. Adair, A. Hughes, and P. Spillane, “Porcine circovirus infection in Northern Ireland,” The Veterinary record, vol. 142, no. 18, pp. 495–496, 1998.
- S. P. Chen, Y. J. Weng, C. P. Tsai, et al., “Identification of pathogenic porcine circovirus in pigs with post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome in Taiwan,” Journal of the Chinese Society of Veterinary Science, vol. 27, pp. 251–255, 2001.
- S. Krakowka, J. A. Ellis, F. McNeilly, S. Ringler, D. M. Rings, and G. Allan, “Activation of the immune system is the pivotal event in the production of wasting disease in pigs infected with porcine circovirus-2 (PCV 2),” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 31–42, 2001.
- T. Sirinarumitr, I. Morozov, P. Nawagitgul, S. D. Sorden, P. A. Harms, and P. S. Paul, “Utilization of a rate enhancement hybridization buffer system for rapid in situ hybridization for the detection of porcine circovirus in cell culture and in tissues of pigs with postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 562–565, 2000.
- C. Rosell, J. Segalés, J. Plana-Durán et al., “Pathological, immunohistochemical, and in-situ hybridization studies of natural cases of postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS) in pigs,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 59–78, 1999.
- J. D. Clark, J. B. Mehta, and T. M. Roy, “Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia: a community hospital experience,” Journal of the Tennessee Medical Association, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 425–427, 1995.
- J. Segalés, J. Pastor, R. Cuenca, and M. Domingo, “Haematological parameters in postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome-affected pigs,” The Veterinary Record, vol. 146, no. 23, pp. 675–676, 2000.
- M. M. Kelly, R. Leigh, S. E. Gilpin et al., “Cell-specific gene expression in patients with usual interstitial pneumonia,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 557–565, 2006.
- F. Zuo, N. Kaminski, E. Eugui et al., “Gene expression analysis reveals matrilysin as a key regulator of pulmonary fibrosis in mice and humans,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 9, pp. 6292–6297, 2002.
- Z. Xie, M. Singh, D. A. Siwik, W. L. Joyner, and K. Singh, “Osteopontin inhibits interleukin-1β-stimulated increases in matrix metalloproteinase activity in adult rat cardiac fibroblasts: role of protein kinase C-ζ,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 49, pp. 48546–48552, 2003.
- R. G. Seipelt, C. L. Backer, C. Mavroudis et al., “Local delivery of osteopontin attenuates vascular remodeling by altering matrix metalloproteinase-2 in a rabbit model of aortic injury,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 355–362, 2005.
- J. S. Berman, D. Serlin, X. Li et al., “Altered bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis in osteopontin-deficient mice,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 286, no. 6, pp. L1311–L1318, 2004.
- G. Bergers, R. Brekken, G. McMahon et al., “Matrix metalloproteinase-9 triggers the angiogenic switch during carcinogenesis,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 737–744, 2000.
- D. L. Allen, D. H. Teitelbaum, and K. Kurachi, “Growth factor stimulation of matrix metalloproteinase expression and myoblast migration and invasion in vitro,” American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology, vol. 284, no. 4, pp. C805–C815, 2003.