- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 290874, 7 pages
A Transgenic Mouse Model for Studying the Role of the Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein System in Renal Injury
1Laboratory of Renal Physiology and Experimental Nephrology, Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Alcalá University, University Campus, 28871 Alcalá de Henares, Spain
2Department of Biochemistry, ‘Principe de Asturias’ University Hospital, University of Alcalá, 28871 Alcalá de Henares, Spain
3Nephrology Department, Puigvert Foundation, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
4Bone and Mineral Metabolism Laboratory, Biomedical Research Institute-Jiménez Díaz, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Received 13 September 2010; Accepted 11 October 2010
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Ricardo J. Bosch et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. J. Martin, J. M. Moseley, and E. D. Williams, “Parathyroid hormone-related protein: hormone and cytokine,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 154, supplement, pp. S23–S37, 1997.
- W. M. Philbrick, J. J. Wysolmerski, S. Galbraith et al., “Defining the roles of parathyroid hormone-related protein in normal physiology,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 127–173, 1996.
- F. de Miguel, J. L. Motellón, J. Hurtado, F. J. Jiménez, and P. Esbrit, “Comparison of two immunoradiometric assays for parathyroid hormone-related protein in the evaluation of cancer patients with and without hypercalcemia,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 277, no. 2, pp. 171–180, 1998.
- T. L. Clemens, S. Cormier, A. Eichinger et al., “Parathyroid hormone-related protein and its receptors: nuclear functions and roles in the renal and cardiovascular systems, the placental trophoblasts and the pancreatic islets,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1113–1136, 2001.
- T. Massfelder, A. F. Stewart, K. Endlich, N. Soifer, C. Judes, and J.-J. Helwig, “Parathyroid hormone-related protein detection and interaction with NO and cyclic AMP in the renovascular system,” Kidney International, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1591–1603, 1996.
- T. Yang, S. Hassan, Y. G. Huang, A. M. Smart, J. P. Briggs, and J. B. Schnermann, “Expression of PTHrP, PTH/PTHrP receptor, and -sensing receptor mRNAS along the rat nephron,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 272, no. 6, pp. F751–F758, 1997.
- R. J. Bosch, P. Rojo-Linares, G. Torrecillas-Casamayor, M. C. Iglesias-Cruz, D. Rodríguez-Puyol, and M. Rodríguez-Puyol, “Effects of parathyroid hormone-related protein on human mesangial cells in culture,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 277, no. 6, pp. E990–E995, 1999.
- P. Esbrit, S. Santos, A. Ortega et al., “Parathyroid hormone-related protein as a renal regulating factor: from vessels to glomeruli and tubular epithelium,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 179–184, 2001.
- T. Massfelder, N. Parekh, K. Endlich, C. Saussine, M. Steinhausen, and J.-J. Helwig, “Effect of intrarenally infused parathyroid hormone-related protein on renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate in the anaesthetized rat,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 1995–2000, 1996.
- N. Endlich, R. Nobiling, W. Kriz, and K. Endlich, “Expression and signaling of parathyroid hormone-related protein in cultured podocytes,” Experimental Nephrology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 436–443, 2001.
- N. E. Soifer, S. K. Van Why, M. B. Ganz, M. Kashgarian, N. J. Siegel, and A. F. Stewart, “Expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the rat glomerulus and tubule during recovery from renal ischemia,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 2850–2857, 1993.
- A. García-Ocaña, F. de Miguel, C. Peñaranda, J. P. Albar, J. L. Sarasa, and P. Esbrit, “Parathyroid hormone-related protein is an autocrine modulator of rabbit proximal tubule cell growth,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1875–1884, 1995.
- S. Santos, R. J. Bosch, A. Ortega et al., “Up-regulation of parathyroid hormone-related protein in folic acid-induced acute renal failure,” Kidney International, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 982–995, 2001.
- R. Largo, D. Gómez-Garre, S. Santos et al., “Renal expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) and PTH/PTHrP receptor in a rat model of tubulointerstitial damage,” Kidney International, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 82–90, 1999.
- N. M. Fiaschi-Taesch, S. Santos, V. Reddy et al., “Prevention of acute ischemic renal failure by targeted delivery of growth factors to the proximal tubule in transgenic mice: the efficacy of parathyroid hormone-related protein and hepatocyte growth factor,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 112–125, 2004.
- H. D. Humes, E. W. Lake, and S. Liu, “Renal tubule cell repair following acute renal injury,” Mineral and Electrolyte Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 4-5, pp. 353–365, 1995.
- S. Vukicevic, V. Basic, D. Rogic et al., “Osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) reduces severity of injury after ischemic acute renal failure in rat,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 202–214, 1998.
- K. Matsumoto and T. Nakamura, “Hepatocyte growth factor: renotropic role and potential therapeutics for renal diseases,” Kidney International, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 2023–2038, 2001.
- G. Gobé, X.-J. Zhang, D. A. Willgoss, E. Schock, N. A. Hogg, and Z. H. Endre, “Relationship between expression of Bcl-2 genes and growth factors in ischemic acute renal failure in the rat,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 454–467, 2000.
- A. J. Rees, “The role of infiltrating leukocytes in progressive renal disease: implications for therapy,” Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 348–349, 2006.
- G. A. Müller, J. Markovic-Lipkovski, J. Frank, and H. P. Rodemann, “The role of interstitial cells in the progression of renal diseases,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. S198–S205, 1992.
- F. Strutz and E. G. Neilson, “New insights into mechanisms of fibrosis in immune renal injury,” Springer Seminars in Immunopathology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 459–476, 2003.
- J. L. Funk, “A role for parathyroid hormone-related protein in the pathogenesis of inflammatory/autoimmune diseases,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 1101–1121, 2001.
- C. Guillén, P. Martínez, A. R. De Gortázar, M. E. Martínez, and P. Esbrit, “Both N- and C-terminal domains of parathyroid hormone-related protein increase interleukin-6 by nuclear factor-κB activation in osteoblastic cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 31, pp. 28109–28117, 2002.
- J. L. Martín-Ventura, M. Ortego, P. Esbrit, M. A. Hernández-Presa, L. Ortega, and J. Egido, “Possible role of parathyroid hormone-related protein as a proinflammatory cytokine in atherosclerosis,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1783–1789, 2003.
- M. Ishikawa, M. Akishita, K. Kozaki et al., “Expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein in human and experimental atherosclerotic lesions: functional role in arterial intimal thickening,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 97–105, 2000.
- T. Nakayama, A. Ohtsuru, H. Enomoto et al., “Coronary atherosclerotic smooth muscle cells overexpress human parathyroid hormone-related peptides,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 200, no. 2, pp. 1028–1035, 1994.
- D. Rámila, J. A. Ardura, V. Esteban et al., “Parathyroid hormone-related protein promotes inflammation in the kidney with an obstructed ureter,” Kidney International, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 835–847, 2008.
- A. Izquierdo, P. López-Luna, A. Ortega et al., “The parathyroid hormone-related protein system and diabetic nephropathy outcome in streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Kidney International, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 2171–2178, 2006.
- G. P. Kaushal, A. G. Basnakian, and S. V. Shah, “Apoptotic pathways in ischemic acute renal failure,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 500–506, 2004.
- A. G. Basnakian, G. P. Kaushal, and S. V. Shah, “Apoptotic pathways of oxidative damage to renal tubular epithelial cells,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 915–924, 2002.
- A. Ortega, D. Rámila, J. A. Ardura et al., “Role of parathyroid hormone-related protein in tubulointerstitial apoptosis and fibrosis after folic acid-induced nephrotoxicity,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1594–1603, 2006.
- M. L. Gross, E. Ritz, A. Schoof et al., “Comparison of renal morphology in the Streptozotocin and the SHR/N-cp models of diabetes,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 452–464, 2004.
- M. P. O'Donnell, B. L. Kasiske, and W. F. Keane, “Glomerular hemodynamic and structural alterations in experimental diabetes mellitus,” FASEB Journal, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 2339–2347, 1988.
- H.-C. Huang and P. A. Preisig, “G1 kinases and transforming growth factor-β signaling are associated with a growth pattern switch in diabetes-induced renal growth,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 162–172, 2000.
- Z.-G. Xu, T.-H. Yoo, D.-R. Ryu et al., “Angiotensin II receptor blocker inhibits p expression in glucose-stimulated podocytes and in diabetic glomeruli,” Kidney International, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 944–952, 2005.
- T. Pantsulaia, “Role of TGF-beta in pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy,” Georgian Medical News, no. 131, pp. 13–18, 2006.
- M. Romero, A. Ortega, A. Izquierdo, P. López-Luna, and R. J. Bosch, “Parathyroid hormone-related protein induces hypertrophy in podocytes via TGF- and p: implications for diabetic nephropathy,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2447–2457, 2010.
- J. A. Ardura, S. Rayego-Mateos, D. Rámila, M. Ruiz-Ortega, and P. Esbrit, “Parathyroid hormone-related protein promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 237–248, 2010.
- J.-M. Fan, N. G. Yee-Yung, P. A. Hill et al., “Transforming growth factor-β regulates tubular epithelial-myofibroblast transdifferentiation in vitro,” Kidney International, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1455–1467, 1999.
- F. Strutz, M. Zeisberg, F. N. Ziyadeh et al., “Role of basic fibroblast growth factor-2 in epithelial-mesenchymal transformation,” Kidney International, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 1714–1728, 2002.
- W. Lieberthal and J. S. Levine, “Mechanisms of apoptosis and its potential role in renal tubular epithelial cell injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 271, no. 3, pp. R477–R488, 1996.
- J. A. Ardura, R. Berruguete, D. Rámila, M. V. Alvarez-Arroyo, and P. Esbrit, “Parathyroid hormone-related protein interacts with vascular endothelial growth factor to promote fibrogenesis in the obstructed mouse kidney,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 2, pp. F415–F425, 2008.
- Y. Liu, “Epithelial to mesenchymal transition in renal fibrogenesis: pathologic significance, molecular mechanism, and therapeutic intervention,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2004.
- R. Kalluri and E. G. Neilson, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition and its implications for fibrosis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1776–1784, 2003.
- F. Strutz and G. A. Müller, “Renal fibrosis and the origin of the renal fibroblast,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 3368–3370, 2006.
- J. V. Bonventre, “Dedifferentiation and proliferation of surviving epithelial cells in acute renal failure,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. S55–S61, 2003.
- B. Hinz, G. Celetta, J. J. Tomasek, G. Gabbiani, and C. Chaponnier, “Alpha-smooth muscle actin expression upregulates fibroblast contractile activity,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 2730–2741, 2001.
- S. Cheng and D. H. Lovett, “Gelatinase A (MMP-2) is necessary and sufficient for renal tubular cell epithelial-mesenchymal transformation,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 1937–1949, 2003.
- R. C. Harris and M. Martinez-Maldonado, “Angiotensin II-mediated renal injury,” Mineral and Electrolyte Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 4-5, pp. 328–335, 1995.
- J. Egido, “Vasoactive hormones and renal sclerosis,” Kidney International, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 578–597, 1996.
- A. Ortega, D. Rámila, A. Izquierdo et al., “Role of the renin-angiotensin system on the parathyroid hormone-related protein overexpression induced by nephrotoxic acute renal failure in the rat,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 939–949, 2005.
- A. J. Allred, M. C. Chappell, C. M. Ferrario, and D. I. Diz, “Differential actions of renal ischemic injury on the intrarenal angiotensin system,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 279, no. 4, pp. F636–F645, 2000.
- J. Kontogiannis and K. D. Burns, “Role of AT1 angiotensin II receptors in renal ischemic injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. F79–F90, 1998.
- G. W. Long, D. C. Misra, R. Juleff, G. Blossom, P. F. Czako, and J. L. Glover, “Protective effects of enalaprilat against postischemic renal failure,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 254–257, 1993.
- R. C. Abdulkader, M. M. Yuki, A. C. M. Paiva, and M. Marcondes, “Prolonged inhibition of angiotensin II attenuates glycerol-induced acute renal failure,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 233–239, 1988.
- O. Lorenzo, M. Ruiz-Ortega, P. Esbrit et al., “Angiotensin II increases parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) and the type 1 PTH/PTHrP receptor in the kidney,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1595–1607, 2002.
- C. J. Pirola, H.-M. Wang, A. Kamyar et al., “Angiotensin II regulates parathyroid hormone-related protein expression in cultured rat aortic smooth muscle cells through transcriptional and post- transcriptional mechanisms,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 3, pp. 1987–1994, 1993.
- M. Nodat, T. Katoh, N. Takuwa, M. Kumada, K. Kurokawa, and Y. Takuwa, “Synergistic stimulation of parathyroid hormone-related peptide gene expression by mechanical stretch and angiotensin II in rat aortic smooth muscle cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 27, pp. 17911–17917, 1994.